Level Design Tips Thread

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Qjimbo, Jun 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qjimbo

Qjimbo Well-Known Member Member

I am planning to write a series of short guides on Level design to replace those that were used to be on the Shadowsoft SSRG but were unfortunatly lost. I have created this thread for you guys to post your short tips in, which I will work into the guide and make sure they get covered.

I'll get us started...

“Floating platforms generally start with plenty of legroom for Sonic to jump onto them, with challenge appearing when it is time to jump off the platform onto another, typically higher, part of the level.”

Thats an example of the sort of format I would like, so please, start contributing!

2. Tweaker

Tweaker OI! MIRON! Member

3. Qjimbo

Ooo, that is a good thread you've linked to there. I'll have to work through it to filter out the core ideas of the other contributions, but that will definitely be useful for the guide. Dude makes some great points, and Jayextee's post is simply stunning. I still think it would be cool to get some input from people here though ;)

4. iojnekns

iojnekns OBAMA '012!!!!1!!!!!&#33 Member

If there is any chance that I'm going to use the advice you're planning to give in this thread, I'd need to see a sample of your level design work.

(pointing to examples of Sonic Team's work doesn't count either - I could do that myself)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2009
  5. Televangelist

Televangelist Active Member Member

That begs the question of whether or not QJimbo's personal credentials are relevant: I think he's attempting to bring together a collection of level-design wisdom from multiple sources, I don't think he's proclaiming himself as a master, pronouncing on design from on high. ;) If the guide comes out, and you have disagreements with it, I think hearing you and QJimbo debate those points of difference back and forth would be educational for all of us.

6. Qjimbo

I don't see anything wrong with people giving out common sense design tips without having designed a level just from observing what exists in Sonic games. However I would love people to give "real life experiance" tips from level designing as well.

7. iojnekns

The "you" was intended to be plural - to refer to anyone who posted in this thread collectively - although after a hasty re-read it is pretty clear that this was ambigious. Sorry for the confusion.

That said, I'm merely stating the value of identifying the reliability and usefulness of the sources which might be presented here. Whilst everyone's opinions are valid and (I'm assuming) welcome here, its important to be critical - is this person qualified to give advice on level design? If I were to see an example of a person's work and find it to be (what I consider) poor, then I'm not going to be inclined to follow their advice, as it is likely to be actively detrimental to my development as a designer. Furthermore, I'm likely to give serious consideration to the advice of someone who has proven to be a competent level designer. I can think of a few members who I'd especially like to hear from in this thread, although I'm sure there are far more than the handful that I can think of off the top of my head. So basically, to put it simply, if you want people to take your advice seriously, make sure you have a strong body of work to prove that you can walk the walk. You don't HAVE to, but dont be offended if no-one listens.

8. iojnekns

You know what is a better idea than this?

A competition

Then again, we might as well just cut out the middle man and all perform fellatio on me.

9. Ollie

Ollie Well-Known Member Member

When designing a level for Sonic, make sure that you have an even amount of both speed yet keeping the "player on their toes."

Avoid making long runs since they can get very boring, very quickly. Make sure you design a level which has alternating paths so it adds to replace value and use objects to your advantage. Just make sure that you don't make the level too automated when using Springs but a nice path using springs would give the player a break half way through the level, like in the modern sonic games.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2009
  10. beanDude

beanDude Well-Known Member Member

TIP #1

Although designing levels may be extremely fun for someone who's new to the process, they should take into consideration that people sometimes like a little nostalgia. While designing new, unique areas, it's not a bad idea to mix them in with things that people will remember from the Genesis classics.

TIP #2

Experimentation and repeated self-testing of a level may cause one to stumble upon a weird-but-cool or flat-out unique level element that is worth keeping in the final version. Sometimes cool results come from pure, half-blind experimentation.

11. DanielHall

DanielHall Well-Known Member Member

TIP: Its always cool to add a few secret routes to keep the player amused.

12. GalliumGrant

GalliumGrant Void. Member

Tip:

Try to keep chunks neat, not choppy and not smacked together.

Also keep objects neatly placed.

Not doing this can result in shifty, poorly made level design.

Also try to use objects in a new way that is unique, and neat looking.

Tip 2:

Heck with it, make the level challenging as well, just look at edwardoknuckles,

his layouts kick ass. (Try not to copy his style though.)

Also try to incorporate that 'keep on your toes' feel Ollie wuz talking about.

13. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Speed boosters are a great addition to levels. Add as many as you can in every level as possible.

- A Dimps level designer.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2010
  14. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha RIGHT! Naebody move! Root Admin

XD That's awesome advice!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.