Lilac in Sonic the Hedgehog (Sonic X Freedom Planet)

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by Draxirch, Sep 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Draxirch

Draxirch Newcomer Trialist

[​IMG]

Well hello there everyone. I am Draxirch new to the scene.

I present to you a little hack I've been working on the last week going into the second week now.

Sash Lilac should be no stranger to anyone who's played Freedom Planet by Galaxy Trail. Now I've begun working on making her transition to Sonic the Hedgehog. Keep in mind that some work has still yet to be done (Cyclone move set, Dragon Dash.) I plan to port Tails across but have him replaced with Carol Tea.

Work that will be done soon include. 1) Adding her Tendrils to each frame. 2) Importing Freedom Planet enemies and objects. 3) Changing the titlescreen to say "Lilac The Dragon in Sonic the Hedgehog". I need to ask some people here about editing the mapping for the titlescreen as it's confused the heck out of me. 4) Changing the Crystal palette to be correct. A nitpick of mine with SonMapEd is I cannot seem to change the rings palettes. If anyone knows how I will gladly add your contribution to the credits screen.

But for now enjoy!

(Remember this is a work in progress. Also about the SEGA intro being glitched, I will fix that once I've finished everything else it's a small price to pay.)

Video of Gameplay (Older than the new build. New build has a new signpost and a new hurt sprite.)

Lilac in Sonic 1 (Test Build Footage)

View attachment Sonic 1 (Lilac The Dragon) Playable Build Demo 02.bin

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2015
  2. Niko

Niko All's well that ends well, right? Member

The ring's palette is the top line of each Zone's palette file (usually labeled as EX: "GHZ1.bin" or "Green Hill Zone.bin" depending on the disassmebly.)
    The title card and rings both share that palette, so be careful, and only modify the required colours.

Aside from that, I feel like I've seen these sprites on Google Images before, but I like that there's finally an import useage of them.
    (The only one I have left to see is Blaze...)

But, good job on this, for a start.
    I look forward to this being a select-able character in an upcoming hack of yours, if you do.

3. Draxirch

​Thanks very much for the help about ring palettes and thanks for the support! :)

4. Niko

Niko All's well that ends well, right? Member

@Draxirch, the double post I can understand from glitches, but as a forum rule, please don't quote the post directly above you. 
    I hope you understand, and good luck!

5. Draxirch

Alright thanks.

Also this is a little thing I need to ask, about certain sprite limitations I've noticed. When the sprite is too big. It will glitch out, like this.

Note: This is from a build before the one now. But when I add her Tendrils it glitches the sprite out similar to this.

[​IMG]

How can this be avoided? I need to figure this out as I need to add her "Tendrils" to each frame, and that'll increase the sprites size again. And I really want to avoid this.

6. ThomasThePencil

ThomasThePencil resident psycho Member

​error 404: reasonforthis.txt not found
    initating backuppost.exe...

error 404: backuppost.exe not found
    writing improv post:
    "This actually looks really fucking interesting. Definitely curious as to where you're going with it, Drax. Sure, it's just an art swap, but it's a unique art swap, and I like it that way. Do you intend to change level layouts in the future?"​

7. Draxirch

@ThomasSpeedrun Yes I do intend to change the level layouts later. I have also begun to customize the Title Cards to look more like Freedom Planet.

Also I tried to change the rings into the bigger crystals from Freedom Planet...Only look..The life icon is glitched up, the tiles for the rings are a mess.

What did I do wrong here?

[​IMG]

8. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

The Mega Drive has a limited amount of VRAM space to store the graphics, mappings, sprites, scroll data, etc.  It seems that, your new art is much bigger than the original ring art, and when loaded to VRAM, it's overwritten the life icon art.  You can see at the bottom of those crystals random garbage, that would be either sprite or scroll data overwriting your crystal art in real time.

9. Draxirch

I had to go into the Vram thing on Sonic.asm and alter a certain value to even display Lilac correctly, as leaving it not adjusted resulted in some bizarre number collision on the sprites that go outside of Sonic's original boundary. Thanks Markey for the input on that, You're a really daaaaaaamn good hacker of Sonic games o_O

New Footage for Lilac in Sonic 1

View attachment 1826

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2015
  10. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

For a simple sprite swap hack, I'm pretty impressed. The animations are smooth, and the palettes have been very smoothly edited. None of the sprites look broken or out of place, and I love it. The only minor issues I have so far is that the crystals use the old ring colors in some of the later levels, and the underwater palettes in Labyrinth zone still use Sonics' old colors. Other then that, this is a great sprite swap; I'm curious to see where you take it.

11. Draxirch

@PacGuy Thanks for the input. I'm currently hoping to take this further by adding Carol as a second character, I might add Tails and swap his sprites out for Carols.

Just thought I'd give a progress report. The hack has been worked on non-stop the last two days. I can finally release a build with Lilac completely sprited.

However I'm hoping at one stage to add her additional moves. This includes her Dragon Cyclone and Dragon Dash moves. The next build that I will release to the public will have level layout changes, a new title screen and Carol as a secondary character. A few screenshots below.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

View attachment Sonic 1 (Sonic X Freedom Planet Pre-Final Build).bin

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.