Mental Maths Method of Calculating VRAM Addresses

Discussion in 'Tutorials Archive' started by DanielHall, Sep 7, 2017.

1. DanielHall

DanielHall Well-Known Member Member

Hey. I dunno if anyone's interested, but I've had this guide sitting about for like a year, and I thought I'd post an easy method of calculating VRAM addresses in your head, so you can save time over getting a converter if you learn it.

Let's just say you wanted to write to VRAM address $C62E:

Boundary 0 <=> $0000-$3FFF
    Boundary 1 <=> $4000-$7FFF
    Boundary 2 <=> $8000-$BFFF
    Boundary 3 <=> $C000-$FFFF

Firstly, find what $4000 byte range the address slots into (Boundary 3). Then you subtract it by that boundary's starting value (in this case, $C000, giving $62E).
    After that, you add the subtracted value by $4000 (Which signifies the VRAM write mode, giving $462E). Now we can put the VDP command together:

$462E <- That will be your first word of the command, which essentially tells you what relative offset from the boundary to start writing.

$462E 00 <- Next two bytes are ALWAYS 00. The VDP doesn't use them!

$462E 00 03 <- Your final two bytes are the boundary your address falls into, in this case 3.

Combined, you get the final VDP command $462E0003, which will write to the VRAM address $C62E. If you wanted to turn DMA on, you'd add $80 to your value ($83).

This is mainly for calculating VRAM addresses but a similar concept can be applied to other modes. Change the +$4000 value of the first word to +$C000 for CRAM write, and you'd add $10 to the boundary byte to change it to VSRAM write. I don't think it's worth covering the lesser-used modes such as read, as it will end up confusing matters.

2. Devon

Devon Down you're going... down you're going... Member

Heh, this is exactly how I've been calcluating VDP commands for a while now. Nice to see it being shared around here. (Yeah, I could've done it myself, but lazy :V)