Music Questinons

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Javier, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Javier

Javier Active Member Exiled

I ported Knuckles Chaotix music into Sonic 1 with music pointer fixer and they worked but the PSG and DAC sound horrible which its just a bunch of garbled sounds. Another question is the Ristar songs sound horrible of the PSG and DAC. Which i heard the repeated SEGA sound. How can I replace the PSG and the DAC so that the songs can sound good.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2015
  2. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

http://info.sonicretro.org/SCHG:Music_Hacking/Voice_and_Note_EditingGo here to learn what Drum samples Sonic 1 has. Knuckles chaotix has a different format and more drums than Sonic 1 has so you have to change those samples with Sonic 1 equivalent. Also because of the channel limitation compared to Knuckle chaotix sometimes PSG sounds have to be dropped for say DAC because there is not enough channels.

Same with Ristar, It has an extra DAC channel which Sonic 1 does not so you will have to work around fixing the drums to one channel only. Music pointer Fixer does most of the fixing but not all of it. I would also recommend looking at how to fix things in hex as well using the link I gave you. I should really hurry up and do my tutorial.

3. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

my opinion, there are 3 tutorials on here. One that adds MegaPCM, a MegaPCM tutorial which adds Sonic 3K DACs (can be replaced with others if any), & one that adds Sonic 3K's PSGs (I think these can be changed too.) Change how you like & you're set.

4. Javier

Thanks I'm now replacing every single instrument from Chaotix with Sonic 1 since some of them are not present.

5. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    Yeah, gonna still be a slight issue there, Chaotix music has an 3 additonal PWM channels, so no matter how you edit your driver to have those extra DAC's and S3K PSG's, it's still never going to sound right. The 32x is the only system that can support the additional channels. You need to understand, it would probably be easier to port an XM version of the song than try to fix the current version that you have right now. 

The other alternative is to instead try and port the Sonic Cracker's versions of the songs. Though fewer, they are similar enough, and not to mention are the same SMPS format as S3K.

Also, as far as PSG's go, trying to manually edit them to also include the S3K PSG tones, you better also understand how to edit your S1 music in order to cope with that change, as you need to add in values to the PSG value table. It would still be a good idea to do this even if you aren't going to port Chaotix songs, as trying to port S3K songs, you're gonna have to do this anyhow.

my opinion, there are 3 tutorials on here. One that adds MegaPCM, a MegaPCM tutorial which adds Sonic 3K DACs (can be replaced with others if any), & one that adds Sonic 3K's PSGs (I think these can be changed too.) Change how you like & you're set.

Yeah no. You're over simplifying the issue. MegaPCM would fix the DAC's, which you are correct, but making the song sound good is a no. 

edit: You did mention 3 tutorials, herp and derp, can't read.

6. Javier

I know. Since i'm porting Door into Summer and Seascape which are the ones that i'm changing the PSG's and DAC's right now. Also what location is the S3K Universal Voice Bank.

7. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

Its in the link I gave you, click on the DAC samples topic at the top right of the page. It gives you the location in Sonic 3. I would use hex to export it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.