Patreon for The Chaos Layer?

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by MarkeyJester, Nov 8, 2015.

1. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Many of you may remember The Chaos Layer, a homebrew game I was initially making for the SEGA Mega Drive.  Well, I wasn't able to finish it, likewise, many of the hacks I've made in the past have been incomplete (Pana Der Hejhog, Next Level, BroTro, etc), and this is strictly because I have to work to keep myself alive, and my work is excessively physical.  I don't work in some office somewhere as a programmer, I work in a Deli factory, probably the worst deli factory in the country, due to negligence and stupidity of the corperation who have ran us into the ground pushing and pushing, and so, I am frequently too tired to do anything in my own spare time, such as, making the damn games/hacks you guys tend to enjoy.

So I was looking into a Patreon, initially I was looking towards a proper full Sonic hack, but I was led to (and reminded of) Stealth's incident and with the advice of the fellows in the IRC channel, came to the conclusion that it's probably not such a good idea (not just because of the response to Stealth's suggestive Patreon, but legal reasons also).  I was advised that maybe I could throw up The Chaos Layer for one, and continue working on that.  I would love to come back to it, restructure the engine (again) and proceed it further than before.  It was always tiredness that got in the way, but if I gained enough finance to cover my rent at least, I'd be able to spend 100% of my time on it, without outside issues getting in the way.

I'm also interested in your views and any experience you may have with Patreon, I've never done something like this before, so I don't want to go throwing it up there to find there are consiquences I was unaware of.

2. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

Depends.  First of all, I want Chu Chu Rocket MD! =P

EDIT: Actually, after reading the link you put, I don't know.  Someone got their head cut?  Luckily it wasn't the whole head!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2015
  3. amphobius

amphobius spreader of the pink text Member

Yes, please. Anything to see this project to completion would be lovely.

4. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus The Railgun Member

Academy City
    Chaos Layer is a cool original project, but you probably will need to think a bit bigger for Patreon. maybe also do art, music, streams, or other things that would get people interested in your work enough to fund you on a monthly basis. You have to think of it as selling yourself as a service to the people, because you're ultimately putting your future financial state in their hands. Have to appeal to the masses. I think you can do it, you just have to think about a bigger box to sell yourself with than just Chaos Layer.

Welcome to crowdfunding.

5. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

I say you should try it. There's no harm done if it flops.

Edit: I hope...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2015
  6. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

I'm not really a fan of Patreon, Kickstarter and the other crowd funding sites. In a lot of cases, they tend to be abused by the organisers. Just see what happened with Mighty No. 9 for an example.

Of course I know you wouldn't pull any shit like that, but it's not exactly a stable thing to do. People get interested for a while and then they begin to stop caring about it.