Please Help with SonMapEd?

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by LXG, Jul 6, 2015.

1. LXG

LXG Newcomer Trialist

I am trying to edit the goalpost in Sonic 3 & Knuckles using the "Load from ROM" option. I can't seem to figure out how to make the sprites for the goalpost look normal so I can edit it. I have a few questions.

1. How do I make it look like the full goalpost?

2. How would I edit it or change its colors?

I am really new to this so it would be very appreciated if I could have some help. Thanks!

Untitled.png

2. M.N.K.

M.N.K. In the River of Darkness... Member

If it's anything like how It is in both sonic 1 or sonic 2, There should at least be a part within the rom that loads the mappings for the goal post. I never actually tried before but I figured that there should be some kind of mappings stored within it. as for the colors, you could use a palette editing program for that. it may not be much but i'm just trying to help.

3. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

Like Blazer said, there will be mappings somewhere you can load.  But this goal post (on Eggman's side anyway), that's all the art to it.  You just drew one side of the goal post.  In the game, the same side is remapped again, but is flipped, and then put together at the end, giving the illusion of the full post.  They did this to save space on the art.  I mean, the sign is symmetrical, so there's no point in them redrawing the second side.  They just used the first bit again and flipped it :)

With Sonic's art, the whole thing is drawn because it's not symmetrical, so they couldn't pull off the same trick.  Tails post however (in Sonic 2 at least), they did a mix of both:

[​IMG]

I've put a red box on most of the sign post, this is the art that exists for Tails; there is no other art for this signpost, even though there clearly is more to this post (in the yellow box).  So where does the end come from?  Well, they just use the first bit of the post (where the first yellow line is) and again, remapped that bit, flipped it, and stuck it at the end.

4. LXG

LXG Newcomer Trialist

Ok I see. I just don't know how I would edit the sprite to change the appearance of it. I'm trying to make it look like Cobanermani456 from Youtube. He said he would play my "mod" on his channel when it was finished. How would I be able to edit Sonic's face on the goal post? I used Sonik Sprite to make this little sprite, but Sonic Sprite only uses character sprites. Also, if I'm able to edit the goal post, how would I save it back to the ROM? When I go to save something in SonMapEd, it only let's me save tiles, palettes, etc.

View attachment 1618

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2015
  5. M.N.K.

M.N.K. In the River of Darkness... Member

All you have to do is export the sprite that you want to edit [File>Save to Image>Export Sprite Frame], edit it in a art program of your choice [ex. Paint], then import that said custom sprite over the original one [File>Load from Image>Import Sprite over Active Image]. and that's pretty much all there is to it.

6. LXG

LXG Newcomer Trialist

This will probably be my last question, but how would I save it back to my ROM? It's only telling me that I can save it as a separate file such as tile graphics, a palette, or mappings.

7. LXG

LXG Newcomer Trialist

Oh wait. I actually downloaded a disassembly and extracted everything I edited on my ROM to it and it worked! Thanks for the help!

8. Chaotix

Chaotix Bad at Team Fortress 2 Member

To be honest, Flex would work better, but if you want to use that, then that's okay. It's your hack, you do what you want (other than copying code, but really who does that nowadays).