Porting Sonic 2's title menu to Sonic 1

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Javier, Feb 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Javier

Javier Active Member Exiled

I read the article on asmtosegagenesis.com and it doesn't not come with highlighted text like in S2. Like it turns yellow.

2. ThomasThePencil

ThomasThePencil resident psycho Member

#1 rule of porting code: Don't go to asmtosegagenesis.com for any of your coding needs. That place is a junkpile of spam and stolen code.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2015
  3. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

I'm sure we've banned links to that site. Stop bringing it up. That site hosts stolen content for other people to be used and if you're caught with stolen material in your hack, you earn yourself a ban from here.

Go learn how to do things your own way. Look at the disassemblies. Stuff that's already used and abused isn't what people want.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2015
  4. Javier

Javier Active Member Exiled

Yeah it has stolen content I didn't knew that. I will never go to asmtosegagenesis.com cause i've figured out that has stolen code. 

5. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

I've used that same tutorial myself before knowing it's all stolen content. So I scrapped it entirely. My opinion, either use tutorials from better places (like on here, the retro & SGD), or go experimenting & learn something new.

However I do have a question on this (not the site or stolen code)

If one learns to port that same code without any help, is it ok to post the tutorial, If done in sucession, or would there be too much confusion due to that... stolen content site?

6. Kaz

Kaz Well-Known Member Member

Ok, you want to know how highlighting in Sonic games work?

(note: I never looked at the code correctly so I don't know if this exactly happens)

So lets say that the code checks for a range of tiles to highlight.

When it finds the tile area in the VRAM plane map to highlight, it goes one by one, changing the palette assignment area in their pointers in VRAM, so that they become yellow.

When you select another option, the game reverts the palette swap in the previously used tile pointers and the code goes to find it's next area of tiles to palette swap. If you know how to read advanced code, you can port it yourself.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.