Problem with mobile

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback Archive' started by nineko, Jan 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

First of all, I have to say that yesterday I updated Windows Phone because it said it was "critical" and I was stupid enough to believe it despite I hate to update things, and I'm already regretting doing that because as I expected it broke more things than not, so I suspect the problem I'm about to describe is related to that, too.

Basically, up until yestersay my preference about always viewing the full version of the forum worked fine, but today I'm being served the mobile version instead, which I don't want. On top of that, if I manually switch to the full version again, I get a different skin (neo ssrg clean cut) instead of the one I set in my preferences (ssrg clean cut).

If it helps, I'm using a Lumia 630 with a recently updated Windows Phone 8.10.14219.341 and only God knows what version of IE mobile I'm stuck with now.

2. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha RIGHT! Naebody move! Root Admin

Seeing as Firefox & Chrome aren't available for the Windows Phone OS, may I suggest you download and install Opera Mini and check if the issues still persist when using it as your browser.

3. nineko

Sadly, I can't seem to find Opera Mini on the store. But I can confirm this is related to the Windows Phone update. There is a setting in IE mobile that dictates if it should be seen as a phone or as a computer. Previously I always kept it as phone and it worked fine nonetheless, now I have to set it to computer if I want to get the full version consistently. Sadly, doing so screws up other websites whose full versions are indeed unsuitable for a mobile device, so I'll have to change settings from time to time, just what I needed. I swear, this is the first and only time I accept to update a Windows product, I'll go back to my "never update anything" policy, no matter how "critical" it says it is. And I can't even delete Cortana...

Out of curiosity, what is the difference in my user_agent in these cases?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2015
  4. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

Why not keep it as phone, then when you visit SSRG forums, scroll down and click "view full version"?  That way, SSRG will then go to a full version while the other sites stay mobile.  That's what I do (on my Android but the SSRG mobile forums should still have this option).

Every now and then (normally after a whole 24 hours of idleness), the forums go back in mobile mode, but I just click that button again.

5. nineko

Sorry, I could have been more detailed in my first post. Basically, when I click on "full version", not only I get a skin which isn't the one I want, but the setting doesn't even persist, and I get the mobile version again the very next time I visit SSRG again if I closed the browser. This sounds like they fixed a bug in the new version of Windows Phone since the previous version actually didn't behave as intended, but that was a bug I could gladly use.

The next one who asks me why I still use software programmed in the past millennium won't get a happy ending. Whenever I update anything, bad things happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.