Putting in Sonic 3D Blast music in Sonic 1

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by TehTenthSpartan, Mar 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TehTenthSpartan

TehTenthSpartan Newcomer Trialist

So.......i need help

I'm trying to make another Sonic hack and i don't even know how to use a disassembley. 

I'm trying to put Sonic 3D Blast music in Sonic 1 but i don't know how.

So can anyone help?

BTW: I am NOT using a disassembley!

Edit. hmmmmmmmm.....delicious comments.

Alright, How the HECK do you make a disassembley into a .bin file.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2015
  2. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

If your not using a disassembly, then please, switch to using one. Hacking without a disassembly is like cooking without a kitchen; it's just easier in that it provides a powerful editing environment and some tools to help you along. I recommend you check these guides first before you try much else, I don't think anyone here is in the mood to help you manually force music into a rom.

http://info.sonicretro.org/SCHG_How-to:Set_up_a_Sonic_1_split_disassembly

http://info.sonicretro.org/SCHG_How-to:Set_Up_SonLVL

As for porting the music, I think that ValleyBells music convertor, available here, will help you port the music, although the DAC might sound a bit weird if you have to use S3K's porting setup, although I think it supports S3D, too. I don't have the time to walkthrough how to use it, but the page it's on has an example for you,

3. amphobius

amphobius spreader of the pink text Member

Hex editing isn't without its merit but I'd also recommend moving to a disassembly.

Pacguy has touched upon one important point, being the conversion itself, although getting the music itself is more than likely what you may have issue with. You can rip the music yourself from the ROM using the Sonic Retro wiki as a starting point or you can use ValleyBell's SMPS research pack and take the already extracted songs from there. You will need the wiki however for Z80 locations when using SMPSconv.

That's all there is to it.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2015
  4. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

There are guides on using disassemblies. Follow them. They may not target your disasm or tool of choice, but you'll get the general idea.

For music: really, try using the search bar. I've seen so many people ask these questions lately. Googling doesn't hurt, either: you'll find things like this, this, this, this...

Music and sound effects are mostly self contained, so they're usually 'split' into files which can be seen in disassemblies. Between the Sonic titles, the format of these files have changed, so you gotta port them so they're compatible with the target sound driver. You can do this yourself, by hand, with a hex editor. The first link helps with that. You can also use tools, acting as automatic converters. The output from those can replace a music file in a disassembly, and will mostly work from then on, depending on how well you used the tool. Quite a few tools do not employ a GUI (Graphical User Interface), leaving you to work with a CLI (Command Line Interface), so, if you want to use those tools, you'll have to do some reading on how to work that interface.

Try to use the more modern tools; I noticed at least one guy in recent days resort to using Music Pointer Fixer, which, as I hear, didn't age too well. Personally, I use SMPS2ASM, and would recommend that and SMPS Converter, depending on whatever you're more comfortable with, and whether or not you're using a disassembly that's compatible with SMPS2ASM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.