Rep Points glitch?

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback Archive' started by M.N.K., Feb 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M.N.K.

M.N.K. In the River of Darkness... Member

probably nothing too big but I thought to point this out. So in any case, recently as I was looking through my posts where I received Rep points, I realized that I had received points for post the either don't exist or was in a post but somehow it shows that no one had given me any whether it be positive or negative. was wondering if this was happening to anybody else that may have noticed that as well. 

2. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

I see nothing wrong with it.

This is how the latest 5 reputation actions look like on your profile right now:

[​IMG]

Aka:

• +1 to this: ok[​IMG]
    • +3 to this: ok[​IMG]
    • +1 to this: ok, what you don't see is that the same post was -1'd too, because the -1 isn't in the latest 5 actions[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2014
  3. M.N.K.

well at least I know where the first on is from now. seems that when I click on some of them though, it goes to a entirely different post for me. some that's not even my own.

4. nineko

Oh, yeah, that's a well known bug, it's always been happening afaik, and I even know why, I just can't fix it. Basically, if you look at the URLs generated by those reputation things on your profile, they contain something like showtopic=xxxx&view=findpost&pid=yyyy, while they should be like showtopic=xxxx&view=findpost&p=yyyy to work fine.

5. M.N.K.

I figured it had to do with something IPB related. well at least I know why that's been happening now.

6. nineko

What I can suggest you is to right click on those links, and fix them by hand before you paste them in the address bar. You can't do that afterwards, because IPB treats the "findpost" syntax as extremely temporary, so a link like this (to your post above)

http://sonicresearch.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3896&view=findpost&p=45072gets automatically turned into this
    Code:
    http://sonicresearch.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3896#entry45072
    once IPB resolves the "findpost" procedure. Sadly, the poor IPB can't find a post if it expects a p parameter while an useless pid parameter is fed instead.

By the way, the "findpost" feature is useful if the amount of posts per forum page is customisable, because a link of the second kind contains a parameter with the page number (it doesn't, in the example above, because your post is on the first page, so that parameter is automatically omitted), while a link of the "findpost" kind is absolute and is always resolved to the correct page regardless of the amount of posts per page. In practice, if the posts per page are fixed (like here), using either link is equivalent (not using the "findpost" feature actually saves some server time, but who's counting).

7. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha RIGHT! Naebody move! Root Admin

I may be able to fix this. Just need to locate the file the script for the rep system is executed from. Though, knowing my luck, it'll be in several files. I'll look into it, and see what happens.

8. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha RIGHT! Naebody move! Root Admin

Turns out IPB ain't at fault on this one. A 3rd party plugin is causing it. Anyway, I tweaked the template containing the script for this function. Let me know if it resolved it. You may need to do a forced browser re-cache of the site before the tweak takes effect.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2014
  9. nineko

It works perfectly, at least on my end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.