Replacing Videos in Sonic CD (2011, Steam)

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by HendricksX, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HendricksX

HendricksX Newcomer Trialist

(cross-posted from Sonic Retro since I didn't get any replies in a month)

I am trying to replace the videos from the new Sonic CD remake (Steam PC version) for two reasons:

1. Missing Japanese vocals (understandable) and ringtone-quality instrumental replacements.

2. The video was cropped to fit 16:9 widescreen instead of giving the whole frame.

Using the best quality videos from the Sonic CD DVD project as a source, I have the following command line set up to encode the video:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i "soniccd_op_640x448_Unrestricted 1pass lossless_29.970fps_all audio.avi" -vb 3000k -vcodec libtheora -acodec libvorbis -aq 10 -ar 48000 -map 0:1 -map 0:0 -map 0:3 "Opening.ogv"

This is set to match the formats and stream mappings of the videos provided with the game. Unfortunately, when I start a new game, it simply skips the video and places me straight in PPZ1.

Has anyone had any luck with doing something like this? I've seen a tutorial for replacing the JP audio stream (hence the 48 KHz parameter) but I want a complete replacement. Hopefully the game does not outright reject altered videos.

I'm only worried about the Opening right now because the ending videos will take far more than a simple video encode. If my project moves forward, I will likely have to use an AviSynth script to shrink the video, add the credits, and add the good/bad ending variations.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2012
  2. Sendator

Sendator Newcomer Trialist

How much size (kB - MB) is the video altogether? Yeah, it could be the size. Again, I'm not a hacking expert and this is just a pure guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.