SADX object layout editing.(Part 1)

Discussion in 'Tutorials Archive' started by PolyGonJim, Nov 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PolyGonJim

PolyGonJim Newcomer Member

This is my first guide, so It's not the greatest.

I'm going to try to make this very simple, so even a beginning hacker can understand.

What you will need:

Hex editor.(I prefer Hex Workshop)

Cheat Engine.

SADX.

Part 1 - Adding a Ring.

I'm going to edit Emerald Coast in this tutorial. The process is the same for any level.

First thing we need to do is open up Cheat Engine. Once open, we need too add three addresses so we can get Sonic's X, Y, and Z values in a level. These addresses are floats.

[​IMG]

Sonic X - 03B2CAB0

Sonic Y - 03B2CAB4

Sonic Z - 03B2CAB8

Here's the premade cheat table.

Next, open up Hex Workshop. We need to change some settings in hex workshop, to make level editing easier.

Go to Options\Preferences. Make sure Fit to Window is unchecked, change Bytes/Row to 32, and group by 1 byte then hit OK.

[​IMG]

Now that Cheat Engine and Hex Workshop are set up, go to you SADX install directory. The default path is C:\Program Files\Sega\SONICADVENTUREDX\.

Open the system folder, and find SET0100S.BIN. That is Sonic's object layout for the first section of Emerald Coast.

Right click on the file, and select "Hex edit with Hex Workshop".

[​IMG]

Now start up SADX and select sonic.exe as the process in Cheat Engine. Go to Emerald Coast.

Select the first 4 bytes in hex workshop, and add 1 to the signed long. Those 4 bytes tell the game how many objects to load. If you don't add 1 to it, the game won't recognize the object you added.

Now just go were ever you want to add a ring, and pause the game.

[​IMG]

Go back to cheat engine, and you have the X, Y, and Z information, for were Sonic is.

Go back to you file in hex workshop, and go to the end of the file. Hit ctrl+insert and add 32 bytes.

The float for the 9-12th byte is the x value, 13-16th Y value, and 17-20th is the z value.

Put in the values from cheat engine in those spots, and save the file.

Quit the level, and then enter it again. (Do not restart, as it doesn't reload the layout).

There should be a ring in the ground.

[​IMG]

To fix it, so it isn't sunken into the ground,

go back to the y value, and add 5-10 to it.

In Part 2 I'll cover how to place a different type of object.

2. Irixion

Irixion Well-Known Member Member

Nice guide, though didn't Dude mention that some rings don't have shadows? You know of any way to fix that?

3. PolyGonJim

PolyGonJim Newcomer Member

I don't remember him ever saying something like that, nor have I ever seen that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.