Screwed-up level graphics

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by theocas, Aug 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theocas

theocas #! Member

So, I imported the Stardust Speedway Background into SLZ 3, but this is all I get:

">" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

Does anyone know what could cause this? I deleted all of the old BG tiles, but the game hangs right after the title card for a short while, and every other art except the building in the background and some sprites are screwed up.

2. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

I think its related to the tiles like I said, either that or your not porting it properly. I normally get this when there is too much art going on it fucks up and crash meaning some tiles have to go. Are you porting it from the project files from that sonic cd split? if so then I think its what I said above, if not I would search retro and find it and then open the sonic cd project file. Also make sure you deleate everything of the old bg, not just tiles but blocks and chunks. If you have too many chunks this can also accur.

3. DeoxysKyogre

DeoxysKyogre No idea what to put here .-. Member

Check out if the chunk ID is greater than 54. if so, change it to other chunk. Copy with Ctrl + C and paste with Ctrl + P. And depends how are you porting it. If you are porting it with SonED2's pcx method, index the pcx i

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2010
  4. vladikcomper

vladikcomper Well-Known Member Member

It can happen when Nemesis decompression algorithm tries to decompress uncompressed data. Check out your level art, it must be Nemesis-compressed.

EDIT: too many edits =S

5. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

If you deleted the tiles, I suggest to pad the files to the same size as the originals were. Just a guess though.

6. theocas

theocas #! Member

Thanks for the fast replies guys, and now to reply to everyone.

Well, I exported it from SonEd2, and all tiles were fine. I did delete everything of the old BG, and the tiles, blocks and chunks. I got rid of unused chunks and saved it as an indexed PCX. I am exporting from the SCD split. I did delete all of the old BG.

Nope, it's like $4F if I remember. The PCX was indexed and it imported correctly. I think the blocks were somewhere in the 300's, but still below 400.

It should be nemesis compressed since I used SonEd2 to add this. I opened the PCX in photoshop, got rid of all other chunks except the BG and imported it. Since I imported the pallet using HEX editing earlier, the pallet simply applied correctly.

I did something similar before, and I don't really think that padding the file makes sense, since it got larger than it originally was.

If anyone needs to look at the files, PM me.

7. DeoxysKyogre

Yes, but... If you didn't delete the old background's blocks, delete them. Ctrl + Z deletes the last block from the block list, but Ctrl + D deletes a selected block.

8. theocas

theocas #! Member

I deleted them all right, as I said above. the 8x8 tiles, 16x16 blocks, and chunks.

9. Animemaster

Mine has 214, so I don't know why you have so many more blocks. I recon thats part of the problem, too many blocks, like I said too many chunks, blocks, tiles will cause things like this.

10. DeoxysKyogre

Then i don't know what's wrong. PM me and tell me how you EXACTLY did it. Probably i know the solution. What I do is:

-> Picking a 256x256 image and pasting it on Paint.

-> Later, I open this image on IrFanView, and i go and index it with 256 colors. Then i save it on .pcx format.

-> I open a level in SonED2, and i remove everything from the old background (in your case)

-> I import the image and the palette.

-> I accomodate it so it uses a chunk ID that is not greater than 54.

-> I also accomodate the blocks so It's possible that it uses the palette like I want (H or N when you selected a tile on a block) making sure i accomodated it on all blocks and its tiles.

Try my method, probably it will work for you.

11. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

I think vladikcomper and Selbi have good points there...

Nemesis is a Huffman varient algorithm, but it's designed to compress data in 20 byte (hex) sections for the Megadrive's VDP, the data MUST be in a multiple of 20 byte (Hex) before compression, or else errors will appear.

Another issue which you'll need to take care of, is making sure that all included (incbin'd/bincluded) data has an even on the next line, so that the next location of the included data is on an even address, find your compressed art where it's included, and make sure the prvious file above is even'd (Should it be an included file that is). The same will go for array tables that contain dc.b byte data.

PLC can be an issue too, make sure that the correct number of entries is set, make sure the V-Ram location doesn't exceed the V-Ram's maximum size, and make sure that the PLC cues are emtpy before the new cues are written (I doubt that last statement, but it's worth noting).

If it's none of them, then you must have changed something else that you shouldn't have.

12. theocas

theocas #! Member

I think it's because the clouds in the BG took up such a load of tiles. I guess I could just re-use one of the cloud chunks, and delete the others and their blocks & tiles. I wish I could just delete chunks and somehow have a tool select and delete the unused shit.

I have the image IMPORTED correctly into SonEd2, but it causes issues in-game. And I use Photoshop.

I suppose that it is an issue with having too much art and stuff, seeing as it overwrites some sprites artwork. I didn't touch the PLC, and there are evens with all data.

I'm gonna delete some stuff and see what happens.

13. theocas

theocas #! Member

OK, I deleted some blocks, and this is what I get:

">" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

I didn't delete any tiles, since I don't know which ones are not used and which are, but it is barely at $300. Sorry for the double post.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2010
  14. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Would this happen to be because Sonic CD has two solid settings on the block data? You'll need to convert the data I presume.

EDIT: wait no, I'm thinking of chunks...

15. DeoxysKyogre

You have a good point there, Markey. Probably too many tiles could have messed around in some sprites or animations too.

16. theocas

theocas #! Member

Hmm. I don't think it can do anything with solid data, since all the blocks are not solid for the background.

17. DeoxysKyogre

It has NOTHING to do with solid data, but it has to do with tiles or chunks i suppose.

18. Animemaster

Well you've certainly gotten further so it was partly the blocks yes? and markey's thinking to hard, its not the solid data, I can see it now theres just too much art going on. Sonic 1 is limited to how much art can be displayed, where as sonic 2 has more room as well as sonic 3k and proberly sonic cd too. Somewhere along the line I think more chunks, blocks or tiles(proberly tiles) need to be deleated. When there is too much art thats what happens, so if your chunks are at least under 51 you should be fine, because mine is 4f so go ahead and see if you can deleate anymore blocks/tiles. I have 37A tiles and I think 214 blocks, and have no problems with the bg.

19. theocas

theocas #! Member

I have 49 chunks, 3D4 tiles, and 2EB blocks. Do you think I should try importing a different BG?

20. Animemaster

You could do, though I think is partly the blocks again. Why do you have so manu extra blocks? they are all for the bg?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.