Short Sonic the ShortHog (S1 Hack)

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by Candy_TheCat, May 27, 2021.

1. Candy_TheCat

Candy_TheCat CandyTehRat Member

This is a hack I made around march! This is Short Sonic the ShortHog (or Short S1 Edition for "short"), is a hack where Sonic is well, short of course!

Controls:
    This game requires skill, as the controls are tampered with.

1. Sonic's jump is short! Hold A to jump higher.
    2. Sonic can run too fast because he was no limit due to being short. Make sure to skid if Sonic goes too fast. to avoid running out the camera.
    3. Roll monitors are hidden in zones, break them to start rolling into a ball.
    4. Sonic starts out not rolling into a ball, find those monitors!

ROMs:

Version 1:
    Short_Sonic_SAGE_2021.bin

Version 2:
    shortsonic1butitsactuallyupdatedact1.bin

OFFICIAL Shorthog Discord
    https://discord.gg/aJ3SsV2geY

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  2. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Do you have screenshots you can add to this thread? They are required as part of Showroom threads.

3. Scrap Sorra

Scrap Sorra Well-Known Member Member

At first when I saw this thread I was intrigued, but as soon as I opened the game I was immediately disappointed. I thought that the level design would have been tweaked to account for sonic's new playstyle but nope just stock vanilla Sonic 1. The art edits are cute and I like how sonic's short on the title screen but it's clearly unfinished since sonic's rotated running sprites haven't been touched at all.
    upload_2021-5-26_21-56-17.png
    also, this edit just looks bad. If I'm not mistaken Sonic's ducking sprite from sonic crackers doesn't have his arm so you could have just used that.
    upload_2021-5-26_22-1-14.png

There are a few bugs I encountered, noticeably the fact that sonic can still roll when you press the down button. Now I don't actually know if this is intentional but judging by your post I'm assuming sonic isn't supposed to be able to roll so you might want to fix that. Sonic can still break open monitors with a jump which seems like a bit of an issue, and the springs don't work properly at all, requiring the player hold the jump button to have them work properly. Also, either they're hidden extremely well or the roll monitors just straight up don't exist.
    Overall, I see some potential for a fun little puzzle platformer where you have to search a level for something in order to continue. Try polishing the art and making new level design that takes advantage of Sonic's newfound vulnerability and you could have a fun little time on your hands.

EDIT: Was playing around in labyrinth and I got myself stuck here because the roll doesn't break monitors
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 27, 2021
    Candy_TheCat and ProjectFM like this.
  4. Candy_TheCat

Yes, I apologize. This was made in march when it was really hard to make hacks back then, I may remake this so I can put in your ideas. Also, sonic can roll while holding down for more easier game play.

Edit: only monitors can make sonic roll into a ball while jump, just wanted to make that specific oops.

Edit 2: Yeah thats a bug with the monitors solid sides.

Edit 3: The roll monitors are the speed shoe monitors but reskined. Also the roll monitors are usually found at the boss fights path.

Edit 4: Ill make sure to fix the springs soon!

Edit 5: Version 2 has been released.

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  5. Candy_TheCat

stop playing my hack im making a remaster

6. DeltaWooloo

DeltaWooloo The noob next door Member

That's great that you're making a remaster; however, realistically, you can't stop us from playing your hack. =P

7. Filter

Filter Active Member Member

This hack has some pretty interesting concepts not gonna lie! Although, it does seem quite incomplete and a lot more could've been added. I like the challenge where Sonic don't roll when jumping, but it could've been better if you added an option so that you could roll after jumping. Act 1 of Green Hill Zone has some interesting level layout, took me a few tries to finally get through it but it seems a bit rushed. Overall, this hack has potential and good concepts, but you need to make sure the hack is in a completed or at least a playable state that looks polished.

8. Candy_TheCat

ok, I will add those crap in soon

also wassup beta filter

9. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden Sonic CD's Sound Test Member

Someone gives you some feedback, and you refer to the listed points as crap? Well, that's a first.

BetaFilter is right; this hack does have potential and a somewhat unique concept. Take your time, flesh out the idea, and see where it takes you.

10. Candy_TheCat

I wasn't referring the feed back as crap, I use crap to refer as several stuff. I wasn't insulting him, me an him are freidns and I would never insult him.

Anyways yes, I agree that I should've took time and not have rushed. I recently dusted off and got my old PC working so I may have a chance to remaster this again, probably make a sequel like Short Sonic 2, 3, maybe even a sonic cd (2011) and sonic mania mod featuring the little guy

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
  11. ExtremeBehavior

ExtremeBehavior Indefinitely inactive Member

Just simply wait until he drown.

12. Candy_TheCat

A totally real leak!!!!! jk this isnt a leak but a peek at the new team for the remaster

Beta Filter - Role not decided yet (possibly coder)

BONEZONE - Sprite artist

13. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden Sonic CD's Sound Test Member

No. Your solution to a badly implemented object that can get you stuck should not be "just wait until you die". I can't think of any game that would let that be the solution legitimately.

I know this is your thread for your hack, but what is the point of this post, may I ask? You have a sprite artist now? Is that it? Think a bit before posting, as this isn't really newsworthy.