smpsTempo

Discussion in 'Utilities' started by nineko, May 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

Tool Name: smpsTempo

Build: 1.1337.1337

Author(s): nineko

Description

This is a very simple tool. Given the XM speed and tempo, it tells you the closest matches you can get in Sonic 1 smps.

Download: http://digilander.libero.it/projectchaos2/smpsTempo.rar

edit: restored link, after my webspace died. All the other links in this topic are still dead.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2014
  2. Oerg866

Oerg866 Well-Known Member Member

Oh god yes. Awesome! :)

3. nineko

I don't know why I'm doing this since I never release my source codes, but... There's always a first time, I guess.

Source code (for Visual Basic 5.0, though you can probably open it with other versions of VB).

Feel free to rebuild/recreate it in other languages (like C or php) and/or for other systems (like Linux or Mac), just make sure to drop a line of credit, which is all I ask for.

4. Oerg866

Haha. Awesome thanks!

And here a personal note for nineko:

I was obviously joking few days ago.

5. Tweaker

Tweaker OI! MIRON! Member

It'd be neat to see this functionality implemented in other programs--xm4smps or MarkeyJester's SMPS tool, perhaps? :)

Great work, though! Sure beats constantly retesting the tempo of a song by ear. :)

6. Hitaxas

Hitaxas Retro 80's themed Paladins Twich streamer Member

What we now need is this, XM4SMPS, MarkeyJester's SMPS tool and The SMPS player in one nice executable, then we'd have the best SMPS editing program there could ever be.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2009
  7. nineko

Well, Puto already has the source code, and to say it all, he really helped me a lot while writing this, since he's the one who came up with the formula in the first place, all I did was to put it into a program, he should get more credit than me. So yeah, if he'll be willing to include something along these lines in xm4smps, he will.

Besides, since xm4smps is open source as well, any determined user may embed this by himself...

8. Oerg866

seeing as I have the xm3smps source code, hang on a sec actually :)

9. nineko

Yeah, I'm not going to bother doing that since xm3smps for me is a dead project, but should you manage to merge the two, I grant you permission to release xm3smps+smpsTempo as an executable, but keep in mind that xm3smps is and should remain closed source for the time being.

10. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

This is a very useful tool! I don't have much music knowledge, but this helped me a bit with adding music to my hack. Thanks. :D

Idea: How about including this to the next version of Xm3Smps (or Xm4Smps =P)?

11. nineko

I'm not going to answer to the question above, as they have already been answered in the previous posts.

Oh fuck it, I'm answering anyway.

xm3smps is dead. End of story. Oerg has the source code, if he wants he is allowed to try to merge the two programs into one. Not my problem anyway, I don't care about xm3smps anymore.

xm4smps is Puto's program, so it depends on Puto only if this is going to be added there. Then again, both xm4smps and smpsTempo are open source, so anyone is free to merge them by hand.

Fine print: I'm not going to bother messing up with neither xm3smps nor xm4smps.

I hope this settles the questions.

12. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

Yup.

13. nineko

Small update. I already posted this on Sonic Retro, but I like to keep updates in sync.

[​IMG]

Now you can set it to both NTSC and PAL mode. Also, it now displays the equivalent XM tempo when you select an SMPS tempo.

14. Oerg866

Sources pls

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.