Some ideas to aid beginners

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback Archive' started by Rezeed, Sep 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rezeed

Rezeed Dataspirit and Dream Traveller Member

After "recent events", I began to think that we could have a thread or something dedicated for beginners. It could be a compilation of links of specific tools that would be recommended to use, the code for some of the most common things asked by beginners, recommendations of what kind of hacks would be best to start with(creation wise), and useful overall tips/advice for beginners. A sort of Apprentice Hacker FAQ if you may. If we can get it prominently shown like the site rules and regulation, it could reduce the amount of questions asked by new hackers and reduce stress to those who don't like to repeat answers to a question they already heard.

Another idea to make the tutorials sub-forum visible on the front part of the forum.(It's easy to miss.)

I hope it doesn't annoy anyone that I suggested this, but I thought something like this could be useful.

2. DanielHall

DanielHall Well-Known Member Member

3. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

Pro Users and above know that a few weeks ago I wanted to start a topic with a list of the most common questions asked by newbies, along with detailed answers and links, I just didn't have the time to do so, yet. But I will!

4. Rezeed

Rezeed Dataspirit and Dream Traveller Member

My apologies.

As for the IRC, my computer died and now have to rely on my WII to surf the web. Thankfully, I the wii(along with the 3DS and any web enabled device/console) can access mibbit, but I heard that the IRC room moved another server about a year ago.(Don't know which one and don't know it's IRC room name.) I would access the room again, but I would need to find it.

@Nineko why not have be compiled with a few people. Might ease the load at the very least, but whatever you guys feel is best is better.

5. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

... which is why I said Pro Users are aware of my idea. I suggested this in our private forum section, and someone already said he'd be up to help ;)

6. Devon

Devon I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me? Member

I did make something like that, except it was how NOT to make a ROM hack and some tools and links to threads that are helpful for beginners. I am not too sure if that was good enough though...

7. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

You will always have newcomers arrive who look to do something ambitious, but do not have the knowledge to do so. They come here to gain that knowledge in order to achieve their ambitious goals. They are for the most part friendly, but you will always have most of that percentage who are impatient enough, to just want the code and get on with their projects, and no thread on this planet with convince them otherwise. It's a common young human action, get used to it.

And that my friend, is why you're wasting your time. These "useful link" threads don't work for the impatient, you've got to understand that. Keep them up for those who are willing, and for those who aren't, let them make their threads. If you're bothered by their forwardness to ask for code directly, don't respond.

Ignore my advice all you want, but it certainly works for me.

8. Crash

Crash Well-Known Member Member

9. TheJeli

TheJeli Umm... Member

This. If someone really want's a feature in their hack, then they will learn ASM in order to do so. Most people won't just beg.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.