Soned 2 Problem

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by SuperSonicX, Jun 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperSonicX

SuperSonicX Newcomer In Limbo

I need some help with my hack. Im using Soned2 v1.02 and Quickman's project files. I edit my level as I want and start it.

No glitches present (so far). Then I go quarter-way through the level and everything glitches and it freezes. Whats causing this and how can I stop it?

If I use v1.04 of soned2 I get a "zero level length" error while building.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2011
  2. rika_chou

rika_chou Adopt Member

Uh, sounds like you may have placed an invalid object.

3. SpirituInsanum

SpirituInsanum Well-Known Member Member

Zero length means the project files weren't saved and left the art/level/object files empty (more precisely that it's including an empty file). This usually happens when you save and close soned2 before it could finish to save everything. Check the files of your project, they're most likely 0 octet big, which is "zero length".

4. SuperSonicX

Im sure its saving, because it says on the bottom "project saved (name)" but then I build and reopen and the tiles aren't loading and the level is sort of vertical so I have to recombine my 8x8ghz files.

I wish I could put some screenshots but Camtasia's kinda failing on me right now.

I could send you the Rom to show you. Just pm me or reply back.

5. SpirituInsanum

What do you mean when you write the level is sort of vertical? Is the layout different from what you saved?

If the tiles don't appear when you load your project, they're your blank file. Did you modify them?

(and of course if you want to continue working with v1.02, it's as Rika said, an invalid object somewhere in the level)

6. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

That's why I back up every time I make a change.

7. SuperSonicX

Yes, the layout is very different from what I saved.

And I didnt modify anything from the blank file.

Also, if you could help me get the most recent version of soned2 working that might work.

The level always freezes at the same space so I don;t think it is an invalid object.

8. SpirituInsanum

You probably hit the horizontal width limit for the level, I think it's 4000 (or 3F00?) horizontally, so the screen coordinate should never be more than 3E80 (or 3D80) when you move it to the right.

I meant modify the tiles, like importing some for example.

The last version of SonED2 has default project files that should work provided you set the paths correctly. Open the .sep files in notepad and modify only the paths, don't touch the compression formats.

It's precisely because it always freezes in the exact same place and far enough from the end that it's probably an invalid object. If I remember correctly, it should be 2 or 3 chunks after the place where the game freezes, and it can be anywhere vertically.

9. SuperSonicX

I will try that, right now I am rebuilding it in Soned(1) with no problem so far. When I am done with that I will open it with Soned 2 and add the loops.

10. redhotsonic

Sounds exactly like an invalid object.

I sometimes make this mistake, it just freezes when coming to an object. It might be the subtype. Like on Sonic 2, spikes are 36 00 00. I accidently put 36 02 00 at one point and it kept freezing when I got near it. I put it back to 36 00 00 and it never froze again.

11. StephenUK

StephenUK Working on a Quackshot disassembly Member

The layout problem could be an overflow due to the number of rings in a zone. Each act can only contain a certain number of rings (can't remember the exact value), and after that the data begins writing into the layout section of RAM.

As for the crash, the invalid object sounds the most plausible. Try temporarily replacing the objects file with a clean one from S2 and see if the problem goes away.

12. SuperSonicX

This is S1 im editing (GHZ).

13. StephenUK

StephenUK Working on a Quackshot disassembly Member

Ah shit my bad, missed that bit. I think changing Sonic's start position for GHZ1 fucks up the layout.

14. redhotsonic

As for the crash, the invalid object sounds the most plausible. Try temporarily replacing the objects file with a clean one from S1 and see if the problem goes away.

15. Irixion

Irixion Well-Known Member Member

What emulator are you using? I did have an instance with Sonic 2 where SonED 2 corrupted the ring placement file, and playing it in Regen would lock the game up. Deleting the ring placement file and making a new one fixed the problem for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.