Sonic 1 At Home Edition

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by Saum22, Oct 15, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Saum22

Saum22 Newcomer Member

Project Name: Sonic 1 At Home Edition

Sonic-1-At-Home-_REV03_002.png

Source: https://sonicfangameshq.com/forums/threads/sonic-1-at-home-edition.854/, and the Sonic 1 2005 Disassembly

(I'm not 100% sure what this means, but I will present multiple different "sources" that could mean it)

Author:
    Saum22

Screenshots: (Made with KEGA Fusion)

Sonic-1-At-Home-_REV03_000.png

Sonic-1-At-Home-_REV03_003.png

Sonic-1-At-Home-_REV03_004.png

Sonic-1-At-Home-_REV03_006.png

Sonic-1-At-Home-_REV03_001.png

Description: Sonic 1 At Home Edition is a palette, layout, music, and minor ASM hack of Sonic 1 (Namely, generally stopping DLEs in Green Hill, Marble, etc, besides from Labyrinth). The main aim of the hack was to test my ability to complete a major romhacking project, and if I could improve Marble, Labyrinth, and Scrap Brain's design mentalities to something closer to the other Sonic games. I do not feel like I succeeded in making Labyrinth zone a more player-friendly environment because of the lack of proper understanding of how to modify the water in Labyrinth zone by the time that I finished the hack to make the levels have both an "in-water" route and an "out water" route that was punishing to fall into.

Download:https://www.dropbox.com/s/cd1970x33shnvi0/Sonic 1 At Home (REV03).bin?dl=0

Update: I have, since uploading this project, seen the video Razor and Zenon did on the game. It took a bit for me to will myself to do it, but I have slightly revised the music to make it less annoying to some players/viewers by adding

Sonic 1 instruments to the more irritating songs (Blue Hill, Rust Zone, Krazy Zone, Fortress zone, the level clear theme)

And a slight revision to the level design of Rust Zone, along with adding more rings, badniks, and other enities to Blue Hill, Fall zone, and some of Krazy Zone, as a comment on the Razor and Zenon video said that the game felt empty.

I have not fixed the title card error where Fortress is spelt Fortre ss, I have not completely revamped the instrument sets, (which I think is for the better because most of the songs are not exactly irriating)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2022
  2. Soldaten

Soldaten The Coilgun Root Admin

However you tried to upload/link those images, it did not work.

3. Saum22

Saum22 Newcomer Member

Oh. That's unfortunate. Are there websites you'd recommend for image linking?

4. Nik Pi

Nik Pi Well-Known Member Member

Looks not bad. I like this palettes :)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
  5. TheWitheredStriker

TheWitheredStriker Newcomer Trialist

It looks pretty good, indeed. I agree with Nik Pi. Those palettes are sick! I'm excited to see what else you'll come up with. =)

6. Saum22

Saum22 Newcomer Member

Thanks! I'm slowing down, but I have been having trouble implementing custom backgrounds and tile sets for any new project.

How should I approach adding new graphics so that I can put the least effort into it with the relative maximal gain? Namely, for I am not great at adding art in myself.

Also when is Razor and Zenon going to take this

7. RobiWanKenobi

RobiWanKenobi Python Developer and ASM enthusiast Member

8. Delta

Delta Newcomer Member

Nice job! i really liked the layout of GHZ, it fit with the vibe it was giving out.