Sonic 1 Dream Eater SHC 2016 Demo

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by ArcaniaCQ, Nov 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArcaniaCQ

ArcaniaCQ Well-Known Member Member

Copy paste from the SHC post.

Sonic 1 Dream Eater is a nighttime hack of Sonic 1.

In this hack we got 1 stage. Arcana Forest Zone. This hack has no other feature then what Sonic 1 gives you. However if you get all rings you can get to the special stages so you can get the emeralds.
    While this hack is a demo atm. There will be more progress made when this contest is over.

Credits:
    Level design: MopeDude and CaveQuest
    Art and Arcana Forest Music- CaveQuest
    Title Screen Music- LordXernom
    SEGA Sound by Somecallmejohnny.
    Coding- CaveQuest
    Special Stages: MopeDude.
    Special Thanks- A-S-H, MrCat, Ozaleto, Baraksha and Abyssalleopard.

Story that nobody cares about...

Sonic is shopping and while doing so he decided that it would be a great idea to have some chocolate so he buys it from a shady person who had a key as big as how Sonic's arm is. After he eats that chocolate he falls asleep and are bound to save everyone getting the Kingdom Emeralds.

I know I did just a crossover of Kingdom Hearts and Sonic atm so please be nice and don't question it.

Anyway...

Arcana Forest Zone is Sonic's first zone. The zone is very peaceful. However Eggman has plans to wreck this area for a factory due to it's known magic. This stage is the best tutorial stage and the only complete zone in this hack as of now.
    Marble Ruins Zone is the Dream of an absolution. The area is well known due to a tribe who used to live here. When it comes to it. There used to be an Earthquake who split this area apart. Many people believe that Dark Gaia did this but it has not.

Screenshots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Download:
    Well wait until tomorrow. And you will see.

2. TheBlurCafe

TheBlurCafe Welcome to TheBlurCafe! Member

Hold on a second...
    You're making a thread that describes your hack, and yet...
    You don't even post the demo?
    Anyway, from what I can see from the screenshots, this hack looks like your average palette hack, I've seen Night-time GHZ a lot of times, that background looks ugly and it hurts my eyes, the palette is bland and uninspired and the tileset (from what little I can see) is bad, like you just scrambled around with the mouse and called it art.
    Sorry if I've been dickish but you really need to improve on those aspects and give us at least the one level demo before you post a thread describing your hack (also, really? Sonic eats chocolate and falls asleep?).
    If your objective is to make a Kingdom Hearts styled Sonic hack, then you really need to work a lot with your hack's story, here's my problems with it:
    *IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE*
    Sonic buys chocolate from a guy that had a key as big as Sonic's arm? Who cares about that "detail" ? And why does he have to collect the Kingdom Emeralds?
    I can't comment on music yet, so, that's it.
    Sorry if I sounded rude or anything, but this hack really has a lot of problems, I suggest you to think of a better plot and either ask somebody for the art or learn how to do it (and make it look good and eye-pleasing).

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
    LordXernom likes this.
  3. LordXernom

LordXernom Well-Known Member Member

I agree here. You did bad move, my dear Cave. We should finish it and you should ask your team for feedback about it. It looks and plays now like somebody throw randomly pieces into blender and call this a hack good to show off. Please don't do this next time.

TheBlurCafe likes this.
  4. ArcaniaCQ

ArcaniaCQ Well-Known Member Member

This hack is in the hacking contest. And for the art and stuff... I will work on it aswell as for the story. The hack is gonna improve significantly. I promise.

Thanks so much for the feedback.

TheBlurCafe likes this.
  5. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

I'll got to play it before giving it a deeper feedback. I'm liking its so far. Can't wait to test it!

6. AbyssalLeopard

AbyssalLeopard Well-Known Member Member

I haven't tried this for a while, so I will give my feedback as well.

Let's see, this isn't a terrible hack, but it definitely needs work. The levels aren't too bad, save the fact that they feel like, empty in some areas. I get that this is the first zone, and that this is your typical green speedy zone, but it needs a bit of difficulty as well. Don't exaggerate though, remember the first zone has to be the easiest.

The level art... Look, I'm going to be honest. It leaves a lot to be desired and I'm sure you can do MUCH better than this. The background doesn't look really inspired to begin with - there is just different "grass" and "dirt", a sea and the sky, but nothing actually different than the foreground itself. Furthermore, what is supposed to look like grass and dirt... First, the grass doesn't seem to be really well drawn - I recommend you to have a look at other Sonic games or pixel art somewhere, that might help you. Second, the dirt doesn't have shading... at all.

Finally, this could be merely subjective, but I feel like the faster speed in Sonic here doesn't feel... right. I get it, Sonic has to be fast, but isn't he fast enough in the original game? You could just remove the speed cap, man...

Anyway, I wish you good luck in your next releases, you guys can do it. Keep working and get the best of yourselves right there!

7. TheBlurCafe

TheBlurCafe Welcome to TheBlurCafe! Member

So I played it and, Abyssal pretty much nailed all my problems (wich I already described in my comment up there)
    But now that I played it I see other problems:
    Arcana Forest act 1 has a "Oh snap, I didn't expect that" moment, at the beginning of Act 1, a Newtron charges at you and you have very limited jump because of the item box that's hidden in the palmtree, that's not good.
    The level design is meh and something is clearly off with Sonic's speed.
    The boss is bullship, to hit Robotnik you have to jump and press the opposite direction so that SOMEHOW Sonic hits him, by pressing I mean slightly touch it so that Sonic changes direction.
    The music is OK at best, nothing special...
    The background for some reason reminds me of this: [​IMG]
    Wich is not a good thing at all, also, is it me or the background from the first screenshot is completely different from the last one?
    All I had to say is in the first comment, this hack really needs to be polished a lot.

8. LordXernom

LordXernom Well-Known Member Member

If I must be honest this background still lack of details. I hope it will be improved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.