Sonic 1 ESE2 Problem

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by ianmlp, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ianmlp

ianmlp Newcomer Trialist

I was using E.S.E. 2 hacking a Sonic 1 rom to make a hack and I had trouble where, I can't seem to go through the loops...

Here's a screenshot showing what I mean...

[​IMG]

Can someone tell me why this happens??

2. Shockwave

Shockwave 3 Time Stones Member

Looks like it wasn't properly set as a loop chunk. I'm not 100% sure how they work since I work with Sonic 1 Two-Eight as opposed to standard Sonic 1, all I know is you press space in SonEd2 (which I recommend you download along with a S1 disassembly and start using instead of ESE2) while the chunk is selected to have it set as a loop, otherwise you get issues like this. I imagine there should be a similar setting you can toggle like that in ESE2, but I wouldn't know for sure what it is since I haven't touched it in years.

(Seriously, why don't people just immediately start with disassemblies? It's so much more convenient to work with.)

3. ianmlp

ianmlp Newcomer Trialist

Thanks. Your idea along with when I checked the loops in the actual game they were set to tile B5, I was using 35 or something like that. thx! (Also my computer is stupid and can't build up the disassembly after I change it.)

4. M.N.K.

M.N.K. In the River of Darkness... Member

I'm a bit confused by this. do you mean that it won't let you build the rom? if so, then did you try replacing that disassembly with a new one, did you run in to any build errors such as branch errors or something? I'm only asking this because after a while, for certain things you may want to edit your definitely are going to need a disassembly. That's unless if you're making a level layout only hack, because if that's the case then ok.

5. TimpZ

TimpZ Well-Known Member Member

General tip: If you are going to work on this with ESE, make a safety copy for every couple hours of work. Really the same applies to disassemblies but they're a lot easier to fix if you screw something up. Always make safety copies. ALWAYS!

6. ianmlp

ianmlp Newcomer Trialist

I got a new disassembly and it's working now. Thanks for the tip TimpZ, I almost screwed up the HUD. Luckily i had a backup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.