Sonic 1 Hack

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by Alriightyman, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alriightyman

Alriightyman I'm back! Member

Here is my hack of Sonic 1 that I've been working on. There are still some things left unfinished, like the level select and the results title cards but everything else seems to be working. I'll hopefully get to finish more of this when I have more time.

Here's what has been done so far:

REV01 effects------------------------100%

Speed Cap barrier-------------------100%

Spindash------------------------------100%

Sonic's End Pose---------------------100%

S3 Sonic Sprites----------------------100%

S3 Balance----------------------------100% Has two different balance animations depending on how close to the edge you are

S2/3 Look up/down delay-----------100%

S2 Level Select-----------------------99% Haven't got the background to load yet

Bounce Projectiles-------------------100%

Insta Shield---------------------------99% Still needs to have a slight larger range and needs to hit monitors and enemies

Level Transitions---------------------75% Not the between acts

Sonic 2/3 Starpost-------------------100% Blinking starpost from Sonic 2 and 3 complete with stars

Starpost Special Stage------------- 50% Haven't got sonic to enter special stage through the stars yet

Title Screen--------------------------50% Want to add a different background

Other things I'd like to add include:

S3 Shields

S3 Savescreen

Act transitions

And a few Pics:

[​IMG]

Updated the Sonic Team Logo

[​IMG]

Gave it the Sonic 3 Title screen minus the background

[​IMG]

Sonic's InstaShield works!

And Of course a download link Here.

Let me know if you find any problems and tell me what you think.

2. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

That's not bad looking! Will download later.

3. Sephiroth

Sephiroth WHY SO CURIOUS?!? Member

My my, this is impressive. I'm quite impressed with the Sonic Team logo, as easy as it is to do, I haven't seen that in a hack. Nice work.

4. Alriightyman

Thanks. I've never seen it in a hack either so I thought I would put it in mine.

5. tbutler98

tbutler98 Newcomer Trialist

Your hack is looking great keep up the good work

6. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r HighKnights Member

Very Impressive! The S3 style title cards are amazing, aswell as the little playable cutscene at the end of every act 3

7. Thundertimi

Thundertimi Well-Known Member Member

That hack looks good. Now add some good art in it!

8. insulfrog

insulfrog Active Member Member

The hack is brill so far, I have played through upto the Labyrinth Zone act 3 (LZ3), now this is where a problem starts. After you defeated the boss and blown up the prison egg and the score tally-up in LZ3, you regain control of Sonic and you supposingly fall down a hole to 'move on' to the next zone like in all the other zones. This is not the case here in LZ3 as you just walk off the end and of the pathway and then you just fall endlessly with no end in sight.

9. ddrmaxromance

ddrmaxromance Well-Known Member Member

All-in-all, I'm impressed with the number of enhancements added to the game, but I've noticed that many people like putting the Sonic 3 sprites / palette into Sonic 1. Personally, I don't find that original, but it is your game after all. When I play a user's hack, I desire to see something new. This is just like Advanced Placement exams when be graded by AP judges from around the nation: "What makes this test/exam different from the other student's?" And that's pretty much what my approach is as well.

The Sonic 3 Title Screen is amazing because it's animated and I've yet to see anyone pull it off like you have. The starposts are cool, but as you said, they are inoperable and I would love to see them working in your future releases. And finally, level transitions are just plain cool. :D

10. Qjimbo

Qjimbo Well-Known Member Member

Nice job so far!

Would be very nice to see the Sonic 3 Savescreen in this hack though, with character selection and so on.

11. UtopiaUK

UtopiaUK Well-Known Member Member

That is really good. I really enjoyed playing your hack. Thumbs up.

12. Alriightyman

Wow, talk about old. I haven't worked on this in almost a year. I was trying to understand how Sonic 2 functioned so I could make Sonic 1 play similarly to Sonic 2 and just stuck with Sonic 2. I might still have this somewhere.

13. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

How come I never noticed this hack?

This is awesome

14. c1owd

c1owd Previously 'CarrascoZX0' Member

Ha, When I first signed up for SSRG and got my membership. I saw this hack and was impressed that no one really posted about this hack... It's so good! You should have posted this on Sonic Retro or something...

15. Alriightyman

I am glad you think so. After actually playing it, again, I remember all the issues that I had. I was trying to port a lot of Sonic 2 objects and they didn't work right. So I started to look for the differences in Sonic 1 and Sonic 2.

Actually, I did. The same thing happenned there as well.

16. Hanoch

Hanoch Well-Known Member Member

Yeah this hack is really great. One question, when you made the level transition you had to modify the level size to make room for the spinning tunnel. My question is, how did you make the screen lock AND modify the level size? Because this line:

Code:
    move.w   ($FFFFF700).w,($FFFFF728).w

F700 is the camera x position and F728 is the x limits of the level but you have to raise the limit of the level for the transition.

17. Alriightyman

I really don't remember what I did exactly. I know I changed the level size.... But that's all I can remember as of now.

18. bareirito

bareirito Well-Known Member Member

Wow! I really like this! The Sonic Team screen and the Title Screen (well the whole hack) is awesome. I really like it, as your Sonic 2 hack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.