Sonic 1 - SFX Bug Help?

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Niko, May 27, 2015.

1. Niko

Niko All's well that ends well, right? Member

Okay, so I've been working with Sonic 1, the SVN disassembly, and I added the MegaPCM, which should've enhanced sound ability, and adds the needed precision for the SMPS on the downloads, here. (Of the ones I got to work,) the music I use will play fine, but a few major sound effects, like the death, teleport (for jump- and SpinDash release sounds), and jump sound, the sound plays, then will either make a sound like "berzt," "bar-ding-ring," or static. 

If anyone else has encountered and/or knows how to fix this, please say something.

I can deal with these bugs, but it doesn't look that well when presenting, so I want to fix it before I make another video dump/recording. 

Thank you for reading this!

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2015
  2. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

Have you gotten custom sounds effects to work at all?

3. Niko

The sound effects work perfectly in all but level one, which uses Nineko's  music in the 29 Songs SMPS file.

Other than that level, music and SFX work perfectly, no bugs at all.

4. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

Can you post a video or a high quality sound recording of your issue? You seem to be contradicting yourself, so I have no idea what is wrong.

5. Niko

6. Niko

7. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

I may be wrong, but I see absolutely no bug or problem. All I noticed is that some of the channels from the music are being cut by the sound effects due to a bad set up of these FM instruments in the music. The SMPS music seems to use FM drums and the FM drums will be cut if they plays from the same channel(s) from the ones of the sound effects. Like I said, I may be wrong... but I'm practically sure that this is what is happening in this case. This can be solved by simply switching between one of the main channels with the background one that has the channel which is being cut.

8. Niko

It must just be me being sensitive to the soundwave changes..

9. IWasAPerson

IWasAPerson Part Of This Complete Breakfast Member

I had to listen to it a couple of times to see what was happening, but I can only hear a couple of things happening, and I could very well be wrong on this. The first is that MegaPCM has nothing to do with this whatsoever. The song in question's problems are coming from the FM bass drum on channel 5 that's playing alongside the DAC channel's drums because the sound effects you describe are all played off of FM5. That said, I can only hear the issue on your spindash rev, which seems to hold the pitch shift to the point where it's affecting the sound effect ahead of it, meaning it shifts the ring sound higher as well as any other sound and causes the problems you're talking about. I assume that you followed the guide for implementing the spindash properly since nothing else is affected, so it may have something to do with the bass drum FM instrument or the channel.

Your best bet for this is going to be to shift the FM channels so that bass drum is either FM1 or FM2 and the other channel is FM5 so that the way that the channel's currently set up won't get messed up or cut out by SFX. If you don't already have it, I'd recommend setting up SMPS2ASM for your disassembly or implementing a newer sound driver (either the s2 clone driver or s2 z80 driver) which already has SMPS2ASM. It'll make music editing a lot easier for minor tweaks like what I'm describing.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2015
  10. Niko

Okay, the specific channels overlapping one-over-the-other is about the lines I was thinking, knowing how the MegaDrive sound system is only so many channels, unlike modern systems that can play more than nine thousand sounds at once with little lag. 

So, thanks for the tip, I'll try and shift the channels, if there's room for it. 
    (Knowing how Nineko makes pretty full-blown music files, it might be taken up in that already.)

Now, to look into custom binary sounds, since I'm going to add....
    -cough-

Well, I better not spoil the fun.