Sonic 2 Alternate palette help

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by GamesArePlayed, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GamesArePlayed

GamesArePlayed Newcomer Trialist

I read a topic about making Sonic 1 load different palettes per act, but does the same apply to Sonic 2?

I wish to make a Day/Night effect for my hack, Act 1 being day, Act 2 being night, but I'm not quite sure if I just follow the guide.

If it helps, I'm using SonED 2.

And also, when I load Sonic 2 in SonED 2, the application crashes.

Thank you for reading.

2. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

Let me use EHZ and Xeno2007dis as an example. What you can do is duplicate the EHZ palette file (EHZ.bin) and call it EHZ2.bin. Edit the colours in EHZ2.bin to whatever you want. Then in your ASM file, under "PalPointers:" add this new file at the end of index:

palptr Pal_EHZ2, Normal_palette_line2, $17

Pal_EHZ2: BINCLUDE "art/palettes/EHZ2.bin" ; Emerald Hill Zone act 2 paletteeven

Find out whatever the index number is (if this a fist addition, probably 27). Then when the level loads up the palette, make it load the new palette index (can't find where, am in a rush so have a look).

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2013
  3. Mike B Berry

Mike B Berry A grandiose return Member

RHS and the other staff members, may I post a guide on here? I'm unsure if this'd count as breaking any of the rules, but I've made a Sonic 2 friendly port of the dynamic Pallet code from Sonic 1; and I'd like to show off some of my work.

4. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

If you make your own topic, I see no reason not to =)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.