Sonic 2 HD

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Sephyroth, Aug 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sephyroth

Sephyroth Newcomer Trialist

Why did they cancel this then then restart this project

2. DumbLemon

DumbLemon am back Member

To make a long story short..... http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_2_HD

A anti virus employee said that there was a key logger in the files of S2HD. This made a lot of people think that S2HD was simply a hoax to put Key loggers onto peoples computers. Thus the community fall out. The programmer 'LOst' was apparently behind this all (Or not, this is what I remember being told.) and he was kicked out of the team. With no programmer in the team the project died. Then years later Vincent makes a engine for S2HD. With the engine out of the way the team can now start working on S2HD again. The end. I know this may not be 100% accurate but basically this is what happened.

3. Irixion

Irixion Well-Known Member Member

tl;dr, people got butthurt that there was a 'keylogger'. It wasn't an actual keylogger to steal your information, but people shat anyway. Also it's Retro and it'll probably never get finished.

4. Sephyroth

5. amphobius

amphobius spreader of the pink text Member

It wasn't this. It was the fact Lost was delaying the project for god knows how long, the team was unhappy, kicked him out and with low morale within the team they cancelled the project. Secondly, it's an independent project than from Retro and from the looks of things there might actually be something to actually show soon, it's not like there's a shortage of assets or no quality control this time around.
    The fact that a fangame of all things had DRM didn't help, either.

I would advise actually doing proper research when posting something like this - spreading false information is seldom ever a good idea, if at all.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2014
  6. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

Please refrain from using "one worded" posts in the future.  And try to at least spell it right.

7. Chaotix

Chaotix Bad at Team Fortress 2 Member

If you look around on Youtube, you can find a video from MegaGWolf explaining pretty much everything about this conspiracy. 

8. Misinko

Misinko Oh SHIT it's the Biolizard! Member

I actually remember reading that L0st was kicked out AFTER the whole DRM fiasco because he refused to remove it. So the Sonic 2 HD team gave him the boot, and couldn't figure out how to take the DRM out. After a few people left because of rea-life issues, the team lost morale, and a few internal arguments lead to the team disbanding.

'Course I'm paraphrasing here, and going off memory :/

9. Irixion

Irixion Well-Known Member Member

It wasn't this. It was the fact Lost was delaying the project for god knows how long, the team was unhappy, kicked him out and with low morale within the team they cancelled the project. Secondly, it's an independent project than from Retro and from the looks of things there might actually be something to actually show soon, it's not like there's a shortage of assets or no quality control this time around.

The fact that a fangame of all things had DRM didn't help, either.

I would advise actually doing proper research when posting something like this - spreading false information is seldom ever a good idea, if at all.

Except people did baww over the keylogger. I'm sure it contributed somewhat to the demise of the project. And I said it's Retro because it's by members of Sonic Retro, as in, fan game, as in, things don't get finished 100% as often as we'd all like to see them.

Most of my post was opinion and not really fact :v. Should have cleared that up

10. Sephyroth

I'll see what MegaGwolf has on YouTube about this. I'll also try to do some research of my own.

11. Sephyroth

Ok so it is just like amphobius said but with some backstory. A sonic retro user named vangar created a thread mainly for asking other people to help him find a game engine to use to start the project. The thread then became very popular and then one user named yarharhar posted an image of a completely remastered version of the Original sonic 2 sprite. It was then that a member called Vincent was so inspired by the remastered sonic that he himself started to remaster whole set of Sonics sprites.

12. ChaosStealer

ChaosStealer Newcomer Trialist

Well, when I downloaded the game, I had no anti-virus thing coming up telling me that it was malicious, but there were only 2 acts, and a boss!

13. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

That's because that's all there is (apart from hidden WIPs).

14. ChaosStealer

I know it's WIP, but when I first played it and done the first 2 acts and boss, it showed credits and I was just confused

15. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha RIGHT! Naebody move! Root Admin

It was a playable demo, so what exactly were you expecting? The entire fucking game?

16. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

Complete with Hidden Palace and Genocide City, no less.

17. ChaosStealer

That directed to me?

18. Misinko

Misinko Oh SHIT it's the Biolizard! Member

Probably because your anti-virus doesn't scan automatically, or it's a better program like the one I have (ESET NOD32 if anyone's wondering). 

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2014
  19. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha RIGHT! Naebody move! Root Admin

No, it was directed at the wall.

Hello, wall!

20. Chaotix

Chaotix Bad at Team Fortress 2 Member

I think those weren't in the demo, but rather Hill Top Zone (with missing background, music and Hill Top-only gimmicks), a playable Tails and Sonic 3 debug mode. I could be wrong though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.