sonic 2 modding question

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by warr1or2, Jul 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

First off I'm gonna say this. The VERY first time I tried sonic 2 ASM editing, ALL the stages went corrupt & the music was offed. Now I can change everything, & keeping ALL levels intact. I noticed the 2nd go round that the stages are all in .bin format for using ASM level editors like SONED2. There is one level editor that edits from within the rom called ESE2 (Esrael's Sonic Editor). My question is, Since using ESE2 with Sonic 2 shifts the levels (or whatever it's called), would it be possible to use it before Disassembling to port levels from other sonic games (porting sonic 2b's Hidden Palace over Sonic 2F's Hidden palace to correct everything for example) then Disassembling using sonic 2's disassembly to make major changes, or would EVERYTHING go corrupt?

2. rika_chou

rika_chou Adopt Member

No, data is shifted when you use ESE2 and makes the ROM incomparable with the dissasemblies.

3. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Yes, it is possible, it will require that the split information is altered to point to the new locations of binary data (i.e. the data that is included by the software (there is a list of offsets I believe)), any hard coded and non-included information will need "transversing" across into the software of the disassembly, and any machine code alterations will need to be (re)made adjacently in mnemonic form into the software, or in binary inclusions or "dc" operations, though mnemonics would be preferred.

It is not impossible, but the more stuff that is changed via binary alterations, will mean more direct and thorough work to be done, and hence may rule itself out as an unworthy option. You would be better off just starting out with the disassembly itself.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2012
  4. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

It's a lot easier to port HPZ if you just take SuperEgg's Nick Arcade beta disassembly and SonLVL's INI files for it, and use LevelConverter to convert Hidden Palace Zone's data to Sonic 2 format.

Of course you'll still have to add the level in the disassembly, fix the background scrolling, restore the animated tiles, and restore the removed objects.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2012
  5. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

well I guess that was my problem back then.

So it would only work if I find out how many bytes was shifted, and make a sonic 2 Disassembly where one could extract levels from other sonic GEN games (sonic 1 - 3k). and i already have Hidden Palace in my hack, but this was something that I just was thinking that might of happened then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.