Sonic 3 and Knuckles: Chaotix Edition - Demo

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by Jdpense, Nov 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jdpense

Jdpense Custom Title Member

Alright, since it's near contest day, I have decided to release my hack a day early!

Description and Features
    This hack contains a co-op system that functions similar to Knuckles Chaotix. Both of the players are linked to one another and have to work together in order put a stop to Robotnik's evil plans.

The new features that this hack contains would be some new options menus, new music and SFX(from SCD and KC), new level design to work with the tethered/rubber-band gameplay, a single player mode in case you don't want to play with the rubber-band gameplay, new monitor power-ups (such as the Combi-Ring), a new HUD display, and new sprites!

Playable Levels and Characters
    Since this is a demo, the only playable level is AIZ zone with both acts included. The playable characters in this demo build would be Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Mighty.

Controls for the Chaotix Mechanics
    - To carry your partner - Hold A while near your partner, and release the A button throw your partner in the direction your player is facing.
    - To do a charge up - Hold A while distant from your partner, and release the A button to release your partner's speed. (Only works with P1 and CPU.)
    - Press B button to call your partner to the same position as where you are. This is used just in case you or your partner gets stuck in any section of a level.
    - Press C button to jump.

To Restart Level (In case you mess up)
    Just simply pause the game and press A, B, C.

Now for some screenshots and a video:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Here's a video that demonstrates on how to use the Chaotix Mechanics.

Credits and Special Thanks
    Xenowhirl
    - for SonMapEd
    Stealth - for SonEd 2
    Flamewing - for the improved S3K Sound Driver
    ValleyBell - for the SFX and Music Rips from SCD and KC
    Bakayote - For hosting my hack

Download

ProjectFM, its boomer, Painto and 3 others like this.
  2. GenesisDoes

GenesisDoes What Nintendont Member

Well this hack was an unexpected entry into the contest! Very interesting idea of putting the Chaotix rubber band feature into S3&K. For a PoC demo It's not bad, and I would love to see this hack get continued for future builds with more levels and features!

Played it tonight, and here is my C&CC:

Pros:
    • New menus
    • Imported Chaotix object art (monitors, spikes, springs, etc)
    • New character (Mighty)
    • New/modified level layouts to accompany the Chaotix system
    Bugs/Cons (pictures attached):
    • Art/palette issues
      • Tails palette looks strange. Is that Sonic 2's art?

• The 1up monitor icon shows incorrect mappings (numbers 1234 in a square).
        You should make the monitor copy the art/mapping from the 1P's character

• AIZ Boss issues
        • Sprite priority issues with the players' hands in the Boss chase area and with the waterfalls (they're behind the level FG)

• Player's hands can corrupt and use AIZ Boss art if the CPU falls down death pit
          (sprite priority swapped "to always on top" to illustrate issue in picture)

• PLC issues with boss' fire balls and with explosions after defeat
    • Gameplay mode issues
      • When selecting 1P & CPU option, the CPU must be selected with the 2nd controller.
        I would recommend allowing 1P to select the CPU character
      • When in 1P solo mode, the 2nd player's life icon (seems to default to Sonic) is still showing in the HUD
      • No file select menu?
    • Various rubber band physics, bugs, and implementation issues
      • If you carry your partner into a horizontal spring, he'll go from ball form into walking mode while being carried
      • Doing the horizontal charge thing for speed boosting is not yet implemented
      • Carrying and jumping while on top of monitors and at a certain chunk in AIZ2 near the waterfall
        causes the partner to be stuck in ball form on the solidarity of the monitors/ground
    • Mighty does not have his Wall Jump feature.
      Mercury did release a Sonic 1 with Wall Jump disasm some time ago, which you might look into to port the code into S3K
    • There is a vine-bar object thing in AIZ2 that causes the player to get stuck in the level chunk
    Bugs aside, I look forward to seeing more!

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.