Sonic 3 and Knuckles Music in Sonic 1

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by theocas, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theocas

theocas #! Member

How can I port Sonic 3 and Knuckles Music to Sonic 1? I tried Esrael II Sound Importer, and the game starts playing a second or two of the game until it says "ILLEGAL INSTRUCTION" on the screen. How do I fix this? Or, what is the easiest / fastest way to port Music? Is there another App I can try?

2. FireRat

FireRat Do Not Interact With This User, Anywhere!!! Exiled

You are using the ASM edit or the esrael sound importer only?

And, what is the music you want port?

3. theocas

theocas #! Member

I am using Esrael sound importer only. I want to port Sonic 3 and Knuckles Invincibility Theme, 1-Up, Special Zone, TItle Screen, Boss, Final Boss, Time Over/Game Over, Ending Sequence and the Emerald sound to the respective things in Sonic 1. I also want to port Angle Island Act 2 to Green Hill, Sandopolis Act 2 to Marble Zone, Hydrocity Act 2 to Labyrinth Zone, Carnival Night Act 1 to Spring Yard, and Death Egg Act 1 to Scrap Brain. I got the addresses by selecting Sonic 1 to Sonic 2 from the popdown on the left, then writing down the adress in the adress field. I managed to get the boss music in, and it plays it OK, but 1 or 2 seconds after I activate the capsule, the game just crashes. It says Illegal Instruction on the Screen, but that's it. Nothing Else. No adress pointers or anything. And the wrecking ball of the GHZ Boss was gone too. I think that the songs have to be cut down in length or something to fit the provided space.

4. c1owd

c1owd Previously 'CarrascoZX0' Member

Oh god... You might as well port the whole soundtrack while your at it. =P

Anyway, first off dude. Porting music is not a super easy thing to do. It takes time. But, using tools to port songs is not the best way to go. Most of the time the songs will sound like shit. Or the DAC would be messed up. Now, if you want a good or even perfect port of the song your trying to port. You should just port the song from the ROM using a Hex editor. No music porting tools. True, this way is a bit more harder and it takes a while to learn and port. But once you finished porting the song, you'll get a way better result than just porting songs from music porting tools.

You should read MarkeyJester's SMPS guide. It does not teach you how to port music. But it teaches you how to make music and tell you how SMPS works. And you will need SMPS knowlege to even think about porting songs. After you learned how SMPS works from Markey's guide, go and read the SCHG: Music Hacking guide. That guide is a bit more harder to understand. But once you know how SMPS works, it will be pretty easy to port songs. =)

But honestly, you shouldn't really port songs from other Sonic games. The songs are being overused and it's starting to get boring hearing the same song in different hacks over and over again. You should be a bit more creative and port songs from other games that people haven't ported from yet or even make your own original song. That would be sweet. =P

5. Irixion

Irixion Well-Known Member Member

Oh god... IT'S YOU'RE NOT YOUR. JEEZ URGH *flails his arms in an exaggerated manner*

lolk. Porting a song and working off of it is not 'over used' nor 'boring'

Seriously, manually porting things is the best way. Fix pointers, fix flags, fix DAC if needed and you're basically done. Tools tend to go things 'generically' so you'll end up with a bunch of crap code wise.

6. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Well having never used tools for porting, I cannot exactly say it's the best way to go about it, yet I cannot say it's better to do it manually either, I have been told that such tools as "The Music Pointer Fixer" does a very decent job with porting music, however it doesn't correct the DAC notes, PSG pitches or the tones used in the song (Which is where I would asume the manual part comes in). So I can see the benefit behind using tools, however the question is, are you non-lazy enough to fix the last bits that the tool couldn't fix, manually?

So you wanna port music from S3&K Z80 SMPS to S1 MC68 SMPS? As said above, you have multiple ways of doing it with the first one being obvious, doing it manually, now this is really only recommended for those who aren't lazy or wont give up too easily, porting a song manually via a hex editor can take time to do, let alone understanding both Z80 and MC68 versions of SMPS to be able to port it in the first place. The other option would be to use a tool of somekind, though as stated above, the chances are, it wont fix everything, so you'll "still" have to have at least "some" SMPS knowledge to fix those final issues, regardless. But again, that's based on how well you produce things and if you're motivated enough to spend the time in fixing the final issues, or not.

We can only direct you to guides and tutorials:

http://sonicresearch.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2026

http://info.sonicretro.org/SCHG:Music_Hacking

Good luck.

7. theocas

theocas #! Member

Just in your oppinion, what is the easiest S3K song to port to S1? I got some music added in HEX to the rom, and it works just fine. How do I get the Lava Reef Act 2 data from the S3K Rom?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2010
  8. c1owd

c1owd Previously 'CarrascoZX0' Member

If you know how SMPS works. Then every song will be easy. :p

But um, the first perfect port I made without using tools was Flying Battery Act 1. Now don't get me wrong, it's not an easy port to do if you have no clue how SMPS works. Every song will be hard to port if you don't know how SMPS works. Seriously just read Markey's guide on SSRG and SCHG: Music Hacking page on Sonic Retro. After reading those two guides and a bit of practice. You'll get the results you want. :p

Um, do whatever you did with the last songs you ported. you did say "they came out fine." lol!

It shouldn't be any different...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.