Sonic 3&K: LordXernom Edition Alpha Ver. 0.1

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by LordXernom, Jul 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordXernom

LordXernom Well-Known Member Member

This is my second WIP hack and next relase will be in SHC 2015.

Changes:

- Palette edit in AIZ, HZ Act 1, MZ, CNZ, ICZ Act 1 (This one sucks, because I wanted desert themed palette but background doesn't change), LBZ Act 1, MHZ Act 1, SZ Act 1, LRZ Act 1 and SSZ.

- Minor level layout edit in AIZ, HZ Act 1

- Tile Edit in AIZ Act 1, HZ Act 1, MZ, LBZ Act 1 and MHZ Act 1.

Screenshots:

[​IMG] [​IMG] 

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Download: http://www.filedropper.com/sonic3k-lordxernomeditionalphav01

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2015
  2. Devon

Devon A̸ ̴S̴ ̵C̵ ̷E̶ ̸N̸ ̴D̶ ̵E̶ ̸D̶ Member

I think you should make more than just a few chunk edits, art edits and palette edits before you release it. The majority of the ROM is still plain S3K. I also can't seem to get past the bottomless pit in AIZ act 1, so I had to use a level select to access the other levels. Water palettes haven't been changed, you turn blue during the AIZ cutscene, AIZ act 2 airship section's palette is unmodified, some Act 2 palettes haven't been changed. Some chunks are mismatched, and some tile edits don't end up fitting well with the rest of the level (such as deformation), some of the palettes don't look good (especially AIZ act 2's palette). Some palette changes don't make sense (Yellow snow in ICZ? Blue sand in SOZ?)

Overall, I was disappointed with the lack of changes in this hack. Sorry, but you need to make more changes before you can release it.

EDIT: Ok, so I found another path to take above the pit, and yeah, the rest of the level layout is unmodified.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2015
  3. TheStoneBanana

TheStoneBanana banana Member

[​IMG]

ehhh... About that palette...

4. LordXernom

​Like I wrote in description, this is WIP hack and this is alpha relase, so this is clear in this actual state of my hack is nothing spectacular. But I didn't create this thread, if I don't want to update my hack. And next update will be in SHC. Creating this thread I want to show another S3&K hack with tile edit. (or even more in later relases)

​Like I wrote in description, I know about it and I also thinking this is awful, but this will fixed in next relase of my WIP hack in SHC.

5. Crimson Neo

Crimson Neo I changed a lot. Member

I'd say you're too anxious to show your work, you should do a bit more of work before showing to people such information about your hack. In my opinion, you should never have released this hack in that situation ( I mean, at least to download, only pictures and videos would be fine, really), since everything is almost incomplete.

6. LordXernom

When I was created threads with my 2 hacks, I always thinked I must put download link under screenshots. You're right, I'm anxious and I'm sorry for that.  :biggrin:

7. EzequielM

EzequielM Newcomer Trialist

I think you should work on a hack a bit more before releasing. Yeah, I know it's a WIP and for sure I know it's incomplete and shouldn't be waiting anything special , but well, I think you should specifically work more on palettes and level design. In AIZ1 alone I noticed:

- Purple Sonic changes to blue Sonic when Knuckles hits him.

- There is a bottomless pit filled with water which has the usual green palettes and backgrounds.

- There's also a "Pit"  somewhat at the beggining of the act where you run all the way down and kills you. (This is where you find the very first badnik of the act) 

- If you get killed being blue Sonic then Sonic changes back to purple when respawning.

These are the bugs I've noticed so far. I haven't played too much after the bottomless pit because I was a bit lazy to find out more, and also because I couldn't get pass the lianas, but I see potential in your hack.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2015
  8. Niko

Niko All's well that ends well, right? Member

@LordXernom, I don't know if you already know, but the palette going back to Sonic's original at the start of AIZ is a simple fix. 

If I recall correctly, Sonic 3 only uses three shades of blue in the palette, so copy just those three and replace the first three of the super transformation palette for Sonic.
    That will fix the colours for after any Super Sonic to Sonic event, including the introduction. 
    (I know this from when I tried it awhile back with some of my canceled projects.)

I hope this helps, and maybe..
    Just to recommend, you might want to replace object art with Sonic CD's or Sonic 1/2's object art for where it applies. 
    S3K's palettes would probably look nice on them, now that I think of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.