Sonic 3 Resort Island

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by UtopiaUK, Oct 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UtopiaUK

UtopiaUK Well-Known Member Member

Hello there and welcome to Sonic 3 Resort Island. A hack of S3K to introduce new art, layouts, music and cool stuff

Hacking Contest 2015 Demo Out Now :)

Please enjoy and feel free to leave comments and constructive criticism

Aquapolis

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Sunset Vista

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Bonbon Bonanza

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Radon Ravine

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Fury Fortress

[​IMG]

DOWNLOAD via dropbox

Ashuro and Crimson Neo like this.
  2. M.N.K.

M.N.K. In the River of Darkness... Member

Surprised no one has commented on this yet. well I just did a full playthrough of this and I have to say that I love this hack already. the layouts are more than well made and the artwork is spot on. the music too also sounded pretty good. the only other thing I will say is that I ran into some collision problems on aquapolis act 2 and radon ravine act 2 where I would somehow go through parts of the layout and be stuck there forcing me to use the fast forward option on kega 3 times. other than that, everything else was fine. overall this is probably one of my new favorite hacks that I will be playing from time and time again and I look forward to the full version to this in the future.

Bluestreak likes this.
  3. Cinossu

Cinossu A blend of secret herbs and spices Member

I never understood the logic of releasing your own SHC entry early before they all go public, but oh well~ :U

4. LordXernom

LordXernom Well-Known Member Member

This hack.... I love it! When I saw your WIP videos, I knew this is gonna be awesome! Good job, UtopiaUK!

5. Jaypin

Jaypin Leader Of The Sapphire Squad Member

As soon as I got an email stating that that you posted "Sonic 3 Resort Island" I was looking forward to downloading this because after seeing some of the WIP'S on YouTube, and Questioning on the Stages You shown in A Short Preview Video, and whether the Hack will have a release or a Demo on the matter, I just couldn't wait to try out the Demo.

So as the Demo only gives you 5 Zones to play with, the most interesting stage after playing through the 5 Stages was Radon Ravine (Specifically Act 2) because there was an Interesting Puzzle like no other Sonic 3 Hack I've played before (To Be Honest, It took me awhile to figure out where all the switches were to pass on to the next checkpoint), Especially with Some of the Special Stages, In a lot of Sonic 3 (Alone Or With Knuckles) Special Stages I've played, Some of the stages have a Certain Symmetrical View, This Demo for one has those type of stages. I Really look Forward to see how this Hack turns out In the future, Keep Up the Great Work!

Bluestreak likes this.
  6. mk8itra1n

mk8itra1n Newcomer Trialist

As a huge fan of Sonic 3 & Knuckles this hack pretty much amazed me as hacks for this game are rare. Most hacks for this game are just minor level changes and palette changes. The artwork in this hack was very well executed and some zones are almost unregonizable aside from a few things (snowboarding in Bonbon Bonaza obviously being IceCap Zone) The music in this hack was pretty ok. I loved that remix of Mystic Cave Zone in Radon Ravine Act 1. The only thing I feel plagued this release was the shift of focus to more serious platforming and well timed jumps. I hated having to stop at EVERY air bubble (yes I'm talking about you Aquapolis Act 1) Overall in the visual and music department, you did a very good job. The level layout needs more improvement as I did not really enjoy playing throughout some of the levels and you should shift your focus to more speed and make serious platforming a secondary priority. This is a very well executed hack and I am excited to see what is in store for it in the future since you don't really see much Sonic 3 & Knuckles hacks out there✌️

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2015
  7. UtopiaUK

UtopiaUK Well-Known Member Member

​That is a bit of a thing. The speed orientated levels haven't really been implemented yet. Next release: Angel Island, Carnival Night, Flying Battery and Mushroom Hill's new and full edits will be in there. These will be the levels that focus more on speed than platforming. But have a little explore around Aquapolis. You may find a sneaky shortcut which bypasses alot of the water ;). But thanks for your constructive criticism.

8. Burst

Burst You call this a connection? Oh, give me a break. Member

Hey Utopia, it's me, Etienne, from YouTube. I wanted to say, thanks for releasing and I very like that hack!

My favorite level is still Fury Fortress :)

9. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

Yo! dude your still around! I haven't spoken to you in ages!. I'm glad you were still working on this hack, and my god those screenshots. That candy level, is the art original? I like the remix mish mash of other Sonic games in the BG also with a few edits look really detailed. I haven't played this yet, but I will certainly in the future an give my thoughts on it. But from what I can see, you've done a fantastic job.

Edit2: Nevermind, it seems dropbox has a download issue which means for someone reason the rom wasn't working. You mite want an alternative link.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2015
  10. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

Here's my final video for the day:

Link

11. giovanni.gen

giovanni.gen It's still Joe-vanni, not Geo-vanni. Member

It's a nice hack. SVZ 2 boss made me have a jumpscare, didn't expect Eggman falling like that!

12. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Lady in red, living in dread. Member

This is the Sonic 3 hack to end all Sonic 3 hacks. While it could use some polishing (mainly removal of the time limit, and adjusting some spike placement in Sunset Vista Act for Knuckles, maybe adding in the S1 2012-style flying controls for Sonic and Tails), this is one hack I truly look forward to seeing finished after all these years.

Fury Fortress is what I wished Sky Sanctuary would have looked like back in the dah (or basically when the Death Egg left the screen, a flash of light would have shown, showing something like Fury Fortress to show Robotnik's influence taking over it). The colour palette and the use of the Final Fight theme from S3D was genius. It feels like it was born for that Zone.

Also I can't get enough of Bonbon Bonanza. One of the shorter Zones, but so much fun!!

Noon Festival and Bengal Maze really have me excited as well. Are you replacing Knuckles for the cutscenes as well?

13. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

This is your second bump of a year-old thread in a row.

kenny0989 likes this.
  14. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus The Railgun Member

Academy City
    Consider this your warning: Check before you post, and don't unnecessarily bump threads that are months or even years old with something that doesn't bring anything to the thread. Opinions and reviews don't bring important information to the thread that warrant resurrecting a thread that's been otherwise dormant for a long period of time.

Bluestreak likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.