Sonic Adventure II: Battle (GC): AR Codes for Costumes Crashing in Dolphin

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Royameadow, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Royameadow

Royameadow Welcome to the modern existence. Member

The Gamecube version of Sonic Adventure II is considerably notable for the fun that you could have in Single Player's Trial Mode, whenever you decide to revisit any zone and mission of your choice.
    I, however, am not a fan of playing these stages with the original looks of each character, I instead play with their Phantasy Star Online: Version 02 and alternate armour, which definitely feel more welcoming and attractive, when compared to their original getups with all of the upgrades (Knux, especially, his Black PSO Armour is astoundingly superb to me, it's not as bulky as his gear at all), and for the most part, I could get through most levels without a trouble with them in the PSO and alternate armour; what I do have a trouble with though is with getting Miles and Robotnik's Tornado 01 and Bandit Armour to actually work in the Single Player stages while emulating in Dolphin, and I sadly do not know what I am doing wrong here; maybe it's the AR Codes or perhaps it is a minor or major bug in the emulation, but I'll let you folks be the judge of that, I truly do not know what is going on here.

Simply put, what is happening is that whenever I attempt to play with the alternate armour for Miles and Robotnik in any level (even ones that they were not intended to be played in), the game crashes in the first few seconds of gameplay (even on their own levels) and I have to close and reload either the game or Dolphin entirely.
    Oddly enough though, when you play as Regular Armour Miles and Robotnik in all of Sonic, Knux, Shadow, and Rouge's levels, they mostly are able to be completed when you have Turbo Speed and Moon Jump enabled, yet they will crash the game if you try touching Transporting Rockets or the vines in Green Forest and White Jungle; other than that though, it is a breeze, I rarely ever come across crashes when playing as them normally.

For those that want to assist in explaining this to me, you will need five Action Replay codes.
    The first is the PSO Costume Enabler, the next two are to get Miles and Robotnik's costumes to be enabled, and the last two are codes that are intended to bugfix the costume codes because emulation would crash without them; all are listed below for the sake of convenience.

~ PSO Costume Enabler:
    001CC1BB 00000001

~ Enable Miles' Tornado 01 Armour (Requires Fix):
    040B5BC8 60000000

~ Miles' Tornado 01 Armour Fix (Disables All Character Upgrades*):
    040AE89C 3C000000
    040AEAF0 3C000000

~ Enable Robotnik's 1910 Armour (Requires Fix):
    040B5E34 60000000

~ Robotnik's 1910 Armour Fix (Disables All Character Upgrades*):
    040B1994 3C000000
    040B1C38 3C000000

* All Character Upgrades are disabled unless if presented otherwise during actual gameplay.
    PSO Armour Knuckles, for example, who also has a fix for his code, does not have the ability to use the Sunglasses, which prevents him from doing select Hard Mode missions, primarily Wild Canyon's final mission for one.

Wishfully, some of you will be able to help out with handling this factor, I truly am unable to handle this by my lonesome, and it doesn't appear as if I could find any information on this on any site or even the Dolphin Forums, where there is a list of glitches regarding the emulation of general gameplay, yet not for Action Replay/Gecko Code playing sessions.
    Also bear in mind that I am using the utmost recent release of Dolphin that is available to us, Version 04.00 Revision 8711, so I am up to code here and assuring that the emulator that I am using is as up to date as probable, at the time of this post.

In the event that we do not have the ability to fix the issue regarding the functionality of Miles and Robotnik's alternate armour in Single Player levels at this time or anytime soon, then I completely understand, I don't expect much to come from this if this factor cannot be remedied.
    I know that the Gamecube version of Sonic Adventure II often does not get as much love or attention as the Dreamcast and Sega Heritage Collection (2012, primarily Steam) incarnations obtain, but as somebody who is going out of their way to understand Battle's structure and how it handles the functioning of AR codes, it truly be worth talking about for future reference, and it definitely would come in handy for certain projects that I have in mind at this time.

I deliver to you many thanks in advance, regardless of what the answer be to this scenario, your assistance on handling this factor truly be appreciated in full at all times.

2. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

I wish I could help you, but I don't know anything about how the GameCube version works, and I'm not interested in trying to figure it out, when the Steam version is a hundred times easier to mod.

3. Niko

Niko All's well that ends well, right? Member

Perhaps the data isn't being loaded properly, or it's another emulation error. (Dolphin is big with this...)
    I remember in the newer SA2's, the costumes are all DLC, but I doubt the GC copy would branch to a DLC save data..
    Does the GC variation have the costumes working in the intended form (in the 2P matches)?
    Another thing is, check the source of where the codes came from.
    Some codes only work on hardware (actual Wii or GC w/ Action replay or simulation with Gecko).
    If you must, maybe try using the debugger in Dolphin to track where the game is crashing. It sounds like a bad branch of code is freezing the game. This is common in those skin-tight programmed games.

4. Royameadow

That is exactly what I had thought, Calvin, that this might either be a loading issue or emulation error, that sounds correct to me.
    All builds of Dolphin from at least the past half year seem to have this trouble with the usage of the Miles and Robotnik Costume codes, so you might be more than likely correct on the fact that I might have to handle this through the Debugger, if it be probable.

Yes, the Versus Mode is able to boot the Tornado 01 and Robotnik 1910 Armour like a charm, it is simply Single Player Mode where this is not working as expected, although I do know that these codes have been proven to work on actual hardware from footage that was on now defunct YouTube channels from roughly four to six years ago.
    Also to add, totally forgot about this, if you attempt to play the Story Mode with the PSO Armour enabled for at least Sonic (not sure about other characters, if this happens in other portions of Story Mode), the game appears to crash after completing City Escape, which I don't think happens on actual hardware; I or somebody else would have to confirm that, whenever we are able to, that had caught me off guard while playing in Dolphin.

The two sources that I had gotten the costume codes are found below.
    Oddly enough, the Miles and Robotnik codes appear to also be listed in the PAL version's list on BSFree, which I don't know if that was accidental or intentional on their part, but I'll presume that it be the latter for now.

~ Super Cheats: http://www.supercheats.com/gamecube/sonicadventure2battlecodes2.htm
    ~ BSFree: http://bsfree.shadowflareindustries.com/index.php?s=17&d=6&g=6254

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  5. Niko

Niko All's well that ends well, right? Member

Just to check on the obvious, you are using a PAL iso to go with those PAL codes, correct?
    (EDIT: Also, some codes are Revision and Region specific, so extra caution on getting codes for the iso, and vice versa.)

Aside from that, it's not very difficult to get an "old" Wii and set up Homebrew/Gecko on it, although I think getting a GC now is a little tougher..
    Just an idea for the back burner, since emulation is problematic in this case.

6. Royameadow

I am using the NTSC~U release, Dolphin ID Code GSNE8P, just to clarify (PAL version is GSNP8P, if you were wondering).
    The costume codes are Region Free across both the NTSC~U and PAL versions, from what I have noticed, both versions will enable the Tornado 01 and Robotnik 1910 armour, yet the codes will still crash the game if you go a little forward into any level, as stated before, regardless of region; not sure if they'll work if Dolphin has the region set to NTSC~J though, but I presume that it would work the same way was the NTSC~U build.

Not surprised that you bring up the idea of getting a Launch Model or Pre~Black Console Generation Wii and putting The Homebrew Channel and Gecko on it, I have been considering on doing that for years but couldn't afford to get a console at the time.
    Again, if the above codes work perfectly on actual hardware, then chances are that I will gladly run the game more often on consoles for general play with the alternate armours; if that is not possible though, then I guess that it wouldn't hurt for me to do a texture mod for it in Dolphin to have them appear as if they have the alternate armour by default, it's not that hard for me to edit up; I currently am working on a Texture Pack for the NTSC~U version of Battle, you might have already viewed a preview of it in the General Screenshot/Video Thread by now, so I might happen to change Miles and Robotnik's armours' artwork to the alternates if I cannot naturally run it by alternate means on either emulator or hardware, and it's not too much of a chore for me as well, since I am rather familiar with an extremely good amount of the texture files by now and probably could edit them in a few minutes upon finding all of them (even though I have only been modding the art in the GC version of Adventure II for roughly a full week now, at the time of this post; it be far easier than I had presumed that it would be). :)