Sonic: Christmas Island (Sonic 1 hack)

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by Painto, Mar 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Painto

Painto Arthurus Paintus Erinaceus Member

Hello everyone. After a kelvin's/Thebox's/NeoFusionBox's tip, I decided to show here my hack.

My hack is called Sonic: Christmas Island and it's current version is 0.5. The previous version (0.1) vas using the name "Sonic: Painto edition". But enough of this. You want to know about hack, not his releases.

Story:

After years of fighting with Robotnik, Sonic decided to visit his home island, Christmas Island. But when Sonic arrived the island, noticed that Doctor Robotnik taked over the island when finding the Chaos Emeralds and started the robotization in his Robotic Base. Can Sonic stop him and save the island?

----

So, my hack contains new layouts for first two zones and a Bonus Stage (I will explain this later). The zones also have new names. I did also some art changes like Eggmobile, capsule, GHZ rock or title card. I also made new Sonic's title art and i changes some things on emblem (but I'm going to change it, because this looks very unprofesional for me now). Some hack features:

• New title screen (emblem, text and Sonic).
    • New level names.
    • New GHZ and MZ layouts.
    • New music: 2 songs but in the sound test (I don't want to ruin the levels with an incomplete music). Also Sonic 2 boss theme.
    • Wall Recoil.
    • Emerald monitor. It gives 10000 points, a continue and, of course, an emerald. There is one per zone (so now are only two emeralds avaiable).
    • Bonus Stages. Because of emeralds in normal levels, emeralds in a Special doesn't make sense. Now the stages converted into Bonus Stages. Also is one new layout.
    • Changed level select code. 
    • Some changes in GHZ boss code. Also, timer stops after defeating a boss.
    • Press A, B or C in air when not in a ball to make the Spin Attack.
    Now some screenshots:

[​IMG](Yes, I know that the Christmas Island text looks weird and I'm going to change it)

[​IMG]

The level select showing all the level names and some art (letters) changes.

[​IMG]

Sonic in Seaside Hill Act 1.

[​IMG]

Sonic fighting Seaside Hill boss.

[​IMG]

And the last screen - Sonic at the beginning of Underground Zone Act 3.
    And a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipMyhX_PiFI

The Bonus Stage (some old content, but the stage is the same).

Credits:

• Selbi - text code generator, button presses
    • nineko - MIDI to XM to SMPS tutorial, different songs per act (unused), Eggman monitor
    • PsychoSk8r - dynamic palettes, Sonic 2 level select
    • Esrael - Sonic 2 level select, ESE Sound Importer ;_;
    • Puto - Special Stage editor, remove Speed Cap, Spin Dash
    • Quickman - HUD blinking
    • FraGag - spike bug fix
    • Lightning - Spin Dash
    • shiobiz - Spin Dash
    • Mercury - Spin Dash
    • jman2050 - REV01 Effects
    • lukeusher123 - Expand the music index from $94 to $9F
    • Qjimbo - Split Disassembly guides
    • MKAmeX & JcFerggy - title separate from GHZ
    • Hcktrox - Force roll-mode in air (after pressing a button)
    • vladikcomper - Fix the level transition
    • MarkeyJester - Improve the fade in/fade out
    • NeoFusionBox - some beta testing
    and:

• others I forgot
    • You - for playing.
    Also, there are 2 known bugs with no idea to fix:
    • Hack don't work on real hardware :< (not sure about this, bug reported in the 0.1 version)
    • When capsule destroyed, some glitched tiles will appear. They disapperan after all animals are off-screen.
    Download linkThat's all at the moment. Comments and feedback are welcome.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2014
  2. JoenickROS

JoenickROS ROS (bug fixing in progress) Member

Also, there are 2 known bugs with no idea to fix:
    Hack don't work on real hardware :<

Tell me some places where your game crashes on real hardware, there could be issues in art or byte data ending on an odd address, usually to fix these, put an even under the art file location or byte data, which will insure that that they will end on an even address.
    It happened with me when I ported over boss art, or when I changed the egg mobile to that of s3s, and a couple other things that I forgot. Real hardware doesn't like data ending on odd address, why, well someone here could probably explain that lol.
    Anyway tell me if it fixed anything and if not, than someone else probably could be of better help lol. Let me know if it did anything, I'd like to know if I actually helped someone for a change lol
    Edit: sorry I'm on my iPhone, and I had to erase a lot of the quote and I must of deleted something important, fix please.

3. DevEd

DevEd A lol who occasionally doge nothing Member

I think your embed is broken or something, because every time I try to watch the video, this happens, followed by a browser crash:

[​IMG]

The glitch was worth a few laughs, though.

4. Crimson Neo

Crimson Neo I changed a lot. Member

alright, I just played the hack. well, I like what I see, the layout is very well designed and creative is what makes the game fun to play, the palette is not too bad.
    but one thing that must be noted is about badniks, they are moving very fast barely giving me a chance I could react, I do not think the enemy need not be overly difficult, so it would be advisable to decrease the speed a little (difficulty) of them, of course this is just my opinion. :p
    despite these errors your hack does not stop being bad.
    keep up the good work! :)

5. FFuser

FFuser a.k.a Darklight Member

I like the layouts and clean look of the palettes. I didn't really have much trouble reacting to the enemies, but they are kind of fast. One issue I noticed coming from that is when I died and started at a checkpoint... one of the enemies was coming right at me at blinding speed almost before I even had control of the character to move out of the way. That could be problematic.

The only other thing that stood out to me (that could make the game too easy) is that there seems to be an overdose of rings and reward-based monitors placed throughout the stage. Since I didn't have as much trouble avoiding enemies, most of the levels I completed with over 200 rings and had whopping 18 lives before the hack ended (which is the end of the 2nd zone as of this posting) and I don't even think I did a lot of exploring during that. There are even 2 life monitors very close to each other in the 2nd zone.

Unless that is your goal (a leisure play-through that hopefully doesn't spike into brutally hard difficulty later on), then it might be beneficial to take some of those out to give more incentive to explore or encourage the player to be careful around obstacles.

Other than that, I like what I see and look forward to seeing more in the future.

6. Painto

Painto Arthurus Paintus Erinaceus Member

Thanks for your opinions. Now about issues mentioned by FFuser:

• The ememies were faster for make it more difficult, but looks like they are too fast. I reducuded they speeds so now are 2 times slower. With that you have more time to reaction in first checkpoint of UZ1,
    • If you passed all of avaiable Bonus Stages (4), you should got 4 lives. Also, 100 rings = 1 live and 200 rings give another, so that's why you have that much lives. I'm going also to delete all bonus live monitors, because with the previous looks that they aren't needed at all.
    • About that place of UZ2 where you have 2 lives very close each other - thanks for reporting it. I changed these monitors to another power-ups.
    Also, did anyone find the emerald monitors? :>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.