Sonic Encore (Post Shc 2023)

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by Red2010 is now, Dec 24, 2023.

1. Red2010 is now

Red2010 is now A Normal RomHacker with occupations. Member

Edit 02/02/2024: This Post (And other future comments) Remained For Archival Purposes...If you are in the future look for my most recent comment here for updates on this

Hello!

I know it's been a while since you saw me, you don't even remember me at all. Anyway this is my first post here so I will try to follow the same thing I did in the shc..

"Sonic Encore is a project that started in May and its development restarted at the beginning of August of this year, mainly I did it to see what it was like to hack Sonic 1. Although I had several development problems, I miraculously managed to overcome everything and continue working on the hack."
    • Frequently asked questions that are not frequent because no one asked for them:
    • Have there been any changes since the last time?
    From the shc try to fix the sound as it were. And it was shortly after uploading the shc build that I was able to master smps2asm.
    • Why is this post conveniently published at Christmas?
    I would like to answer that but it was simply several factors that prevented me from uploading sonic encore in November

Leaving that aside...I wish you a Merry Christmas, New Year and the first one who has a birthday at this time, which is surely not here.

See you in another one!

• Characteristics:
    1. Sonic CD Extended Camera
    2. Spindash very early
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Credits:
    DeltaWooloo: For helping me fix the 3d blast intro that plays on the tile screen
    Shc Server: For helping me detect several problems
    Alfombra de madera: I would have put here that I fixed the tile screen but I deleted it by accident... I still think it is kept here out of respect
    Hog: Beta tester
    Hortinus: Creator of Hesse Sonic Sprites
    AlinShadxw: Refine hesse sonic sprites
    MainMemory: Creator of Sonlvl, which was the one who did almost all the work
    Hivebrain: The creator of the hivepal program, a program which helped change palette cycles
    snkenjoi: Creator of Flex2, a program which greatly helped the insertion of Hesse Sonic into the hack
    ValleyBell: Creator of the SMPS Research Pack, which was essential for music

Sonic Encore 19-11-2023.bin

Warning: TRY THIS ON KEGA FUSION, Please I don't want to see comments that the sound is broken on other emulators or real hardware

"This Is Recolor"

PD: This version is different from shc...technically it is an incomplete patch

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
  2. Red2010 is now

Sonic Encore: Birthday Update:

Hello!

It's been a while since I released a demo of this.

Since today is my birthday I have decided to release a new demo of Sonic Encore. Some relevant changes are:

1. A new Palette for Green hill, courtesy of Alfombra de madera
    2. A complete spindash
    3. The super peelout, borrowed from Ready Sonic!
    4. Music Per act
    Also, someone did me the favor of renewing the title screen.

Screenshots:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Credits:

1. Alfombra de madera: Renewing the palette of GHZ
    2. Carlos: (literally named like this) insert the custom background of the tile screen
    3. Clownacy: The clone drivers
    4. Hortinus: The hesse Sonic sprites
    5. Mercury: Súper Peelout Code

This version is tested in blastem, so it should work in any competent emulator.

Attached Files:

3. Red2010 is now

Sonic Encore: Spring Update

Well...

To finish off the winter, I've decided to publish this update... Wait a minute...
    [​IMG]
    Ehh...

Well I guess there was a change of plans so....

Sonic Encore: Leap Year Update

It's been a month since the last sonic encore demo was released....

Although I could take a break I decided to continue sonic encore for the whole month and this is the result:
    [​IMG]
    That's right....

I dedicated myself to recoloring (very lazy of me) marble zone and a first act of spring yard.

Now the game doesn't last 2 minutes like a certain TAS that I saw...Now it should last more than 5 minutes!

• Relevant changes since last time:
    • New Animations (most of them are the rotated versions of sprites that I forgot to rotate in the previous demo xD)
    • New Dac (OutRunners, V.R Deluxe and Hybrid Front...Guess what consumes more space in the rom)
    • Bug fixes:
    • Fixed a bug where when sonic ran the Peelout animation the dot object wouldload corrupted graphics (I just made them not to appear and that's it...bug fixed)
    Sonic Encore 29 - 02 - 2024.bin

Well...I would leave the post here but I will comment something about the future of sonic encore (I won't reveal too much because then the whole update leaks with that).

From the next update there should be new level design....The case is looking for help for this project ...Contact me by Discord (It's "rojo2010")

But leaving that aside....A Bridge, a crescent moon (or something like that) will be what will make the next update...

See you in April or hopefully end of March!

Credits:

1. Alfombra de madera: Creator of the GHZ Palette
    2. DarkShamilKhan: Tester, I passed the Sliding Hud code to me
    3. Carlos Iagnecz: Programmer
    4. Hortinus: Sonic Sprites

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2024
    Dark Shamil Khan and Nik Pi like this.
  4. AleDrawer2008

AleDrawer2008 Newcomer Member

So I played this, so time to some review
    -The new "SEGA Chant" is so funny, I actually liked it
    -You should edit manually the new diagonal sprites, they don't look pretty good
    -The colours are not like others proyect made by other noobs. They look charming and brillant.
    -Please dont use eggman monitors on the trees, they're annoying. (I know this because I went for the same mistake)
    -I love the ported music. But you could consider using just one kind of drumset

Overall, Is pretty good and it has potencial. Just fix the problems I found and make the new level design and we're ready to go

Red2010 is now likes this.
  5. Red2010 is now

I should have done this idea on February 14th (valentine's day).
    [​IMG]
    This doesn't even count as a hint about the next sonic encore (I've barely been resting after a month of hard work).

Nik Pi, Rorryx and Dark Shamil Khan like this.
  6. Rorryx

Rorryx Newcomer Trialist

Oh so we get new Level Designs as well? Sweet, can't wait to check out the next demo then.

Red2010 is now likes this.
  7. Red2010 is now

For those not interested:
    [​IMG]
    anyway I will continue working on sonic encore just as long as no one comes

Last edited: Mar 22, 2024
  8. Red2010 is now

An Unforeseen Delay!:

This time being an update without any rom to download, I'm afraid to say that...

The new Zone (which some must have already assumed will be a master system zone)... Was delayed for reasons beyond my control

Because coding the new zone has been slower than expected, it will have to be postponed until a couple of updates later...

So what was originally going to be the next Sonic Encore update will be smaller and emptier than normal...

I hope no one beats me on the decision to delay it but it's for the better...

Sonic Encore demo 3 will be released between the end of March and the beginning of April...It should include a new level design for GHZ and Spring Yard (don't ask about marble...)

Well, see you another time...see you next time!

Dark Shamil Khan likes this.
  9. Red2010 is now

coming soon..
    [​IMG]

10. Red2010 is now

Sonic Encore: Encore in reverse Update

After a month of hard work and enslaving several to do the work that I should do, I managed to get a total renewal update for this rom hack

Changes:

Renewed graphics: The Genesis At its limit!

Efficient Mechanics: Sonic 3 & Knuckles falls short of Sonic Encore

High quality sounds: What is that Sega CD?, The genesis can forcing the Yamaha

I won't put images, a description is enough!

Credits:

Carlos Iagnecz: Programmer

Alegamer700: Artist

DSK: Tester

Me: The creator of this

Sonic Encore 01 - 04 - 2024.bin

Attached Files:

11. Red2010 is now

Update: The delay has lasted too long but...

It's been almost 2 months since the last Sonic Encore update (the one above doesn't exist)

I feel like it was too long to wait, there won't be a rom today but there will be some ads

Originally the update was going to come out this month, except that my PC's hard drive got damaged causing a huge delay to Sonic Encore.

Hence. The update is officially delayed to early/mid-May (if all goes well), so apologies to the 5 people interested in this hack.

• The help wanted hasn't given much

Since I published the post, only the creator of Sonic Unreal Worlds (Alegamer700) has joined, and although he has respectively supported the project, it has not been enough to speed things up.

• Various changes when developing encore

With a new internal organization, an apparently nameless team is created (Team Encore *cough*). Which has given a little more collaboration

But because the month has become difficult in terms of studies and so on, not many in the team have time to dedicate to Sonic Encore

And that would be all I had to say.

Keep waiting until I release some of this!

12. Red2010 is now

A waiting time of almost a month for any news about Sonic Encore but here it is.

Sonic Encore: Preview Images.

Good. Although it has taken us a long time to deliver something, we have progressed quite well these last few weeks, if things go this way I will most likely update Sonic Encore just in time for June 23 (Important date).

Because, the probably 0 followers of this hack are hungry for something other than words. Here I will leave you with some progress that we have made for Encore.
    [​IMG]
    That's how it is. We have almost completely renewed the title screen, there are some things that are still missing (Like the "TM" in the logo but come on Sonic Encore, not that I know of a registered trademark but who cares)

We owe some things on the title screen to Alegamer700, who did some of the work. On the Dithering side, it was done by Carlos.

[​IMG]
    The SSRG Screen. Nobody is interested in this and they will probably end up skipping it but it is worth highlighting it a little.

[​IMG]
    Some improvements regarding Sonic's sprite. And the Peel-Out sprite is no longer so "Unnatural" (I think)

And probably the most important thing I can reveal at the time of the update. It's so cool (I think) that I'll put it in spoiler!
    [​IMG]
    That's how it is. Thanks to Carlos we have managed to get the DropDash into Encore! (it is already in a more or less stable phase)

Regarding the new Level Design. We are working on finishing another level (GHZ2 is already finished although we are redesigning Spring Yard Act X).

Regarding the Help Wanted notice, we are still open to anyone interested, with the exception of the spriter (who can be joined by another as long as it does not collide with Alegamer) as the positions are still vacant.

I guess we'll see you another day. Goodbye and look forward to the next Sonic Encore Update!

Rorryx and Dark Shamil Khan like this.
  13. Red2010 is now

Today is the day...

The wait that seemed like it was eternal is over...

With you. The first work under a team (because yes, now encore is being developed by 3 people).

With you comes what the non-existent Sonic Encore fans had been waiting for for almost 4 months.

Team Encore Presents:

Sonic Encore: Sonic's Birthday Update
    (How was it not today?)

Leaving aside that for topics that I don't even bother to explain. I decided to bring this forward a day but I'm sure that the majority will play it tomorrow (as of the date of this post).

What has changed since the last time?
    This update brought new level design. But, it's only for GHZ2 and it's for reasons of time (and that threatening DSK to make the levels for me didn't work) that we couldn't finish SYZ2.

But the only minimal new design (made by my hands) is functional.

1. Sonic Mania DropDash Added
    2. Sonic Sprites Retouched
    3. New Animations
    4. Brand new title screen
    Known Issues:
    • The art of shields has changed the method of charging. They have bugs and the normal shield may not charge in pursuit of invincibility or the Special Stage VRAM may mistakenly delete part of the Vram of the invincibility stars.
    • In the Superior route of GHZ2 almost at the end you can Die simply by being too close to the upper edge of the level when being in the damaged state
    • Other VRAM Bugs that I don't know about
    Just in case. We are still looking for Help for Encore (you can check some posts above to find what is needed)

I have to leave them now. See you when the stars align! Bye bye!

Sonic Encore 22 - 06 - 2024.bin

Credits:

Me: Creator of this and inexperienced level designer
    Carlos Iagnecz: Programer and semi Artist
    Alegamer700: Artist
    DSK?: Beta Tester

Members who are not on Team Encore:
    Alfombra de Madera: GHZ Palette Creator
    Hortinus: Hesse Sonic Sprites
    Frik: Other Hesse Sonic Sprites
    Spriters Recourses: Several Sprites

PS: YouTube channels that show Sonic hacks...Play this version of Encore in the Japanese region for a secret!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2024
    EddyTF and Dark Shamil Khan like this.
  14. Red2010 is now

We listened to your feedback:

Following the release of the latest Encore update, we have received a lot of feedback regarding the direction Encore is heading in.

Several were minor complaints and rather applauded my only self-made level (GHZ2).

But yes. We have been listening to various opinions and taking them into account to improve Sonic Encore.

I know you're wondering about the next Sonic Encore update and the answer at the moment is: "We just finished the last update. Let us take a break".

From the failure to meet approximate dates we are not promising dates other than late July and early September.

I'll leave you, I'm writing this from my cell phone but. Happy 33rd Sonic Anniversary!

JGamer2151 likes this.
  15. Red2010 is now

A function that was about to be halfway ready but...

I decided to wait a whole week to reveal this so let's go straight to what's convenient...
    Originally the recent Sonic Encore update would contain another function which was not included.

I'm talking about:

[​IMG]
    That's how it is.

Sonic Encore Would Have Support for The MSU-MD/MD+ (From here for what follows I will say Mode 1 because that is how it is)

It was in development for about a week, testing was done on several emulators until ClownmDemu's turn came and simply:
    [​IMG]
    ClownmdEmu by Clownacy Refused to boot Sonic Encore with the necessary code changes.

When I got ready to review the Emulator Log, everyone within the Team Encore (that is, just me because he was the only one actively working on it). He got a bitter surprise
    [​IMG]
    The lines that just started Mode 1 turned out to be a solid black in the emulator

The strange thing is that neither in Blastem, Kega Fusion and Genesis Plus GX did this strange crash happen

Besides that. None of the songs on the CD did not have a suitable loop and several were placeholders while I searched for suitable music...

Some of the code remains in the latest Encore Build but with the Mode 1 initialization code disabled there is no way to play CD Songs in Encore at the moment

What will happen to CD Music?

The idea is still there and there is still hope of having something decent for at least this year's SHC (expect anything with this)...
    At the moment the CD music will not be released and at most it will be seen in some progress on Discord....

I guess I'll leave it here... I think the next post should be about a more normal Sonic Encore update...

Bye bye!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2024
  16. Red2010 is now

Sonic Encore 32x (Concept Demo)

What would happen if...Sonic Encore was in 32 Bit?
    Although no one from Team Encore wondered that. I also decided to do this little test of Sonic Encore running on the Sega 32x...

This demo is a clone of the previous update. So you won't see changes other than those listed below...

Chaotix Perfect Ports:
    Running on Sega 32x the game is given the ability to turn on the chaotix PWMs for use in songs.

Only starts if a Sega 32x is available

Some Sounds changed:
    I simply wanted to take advantage of bringing it a little closer to Chaotix

I also had to delete the SSRG screen as it would cause a crash.
    This version will always boot in Japanese Mode (there is no way that I know of that you can boot it in NTSC)

Inner workings:

This Sonic Encore uses a basic launcher program to start the Sega 32x (Mars).

The game only starts 32x when starting it. So if in any compatible emulator you turn off the 32x in the middle of a game, the game will not crash since the 32x is only managing the sound (PWM).

The only new bug occurs when playing on picodrive in retroarch. If you restart in the middle of a game the game will start to crash and if you start a level and update Sonic's status the game will simply crash

Credits:

All the same from the previous update

Clownacy: Stub SH2 and the PWM Driver
    Gardeguey: Program for the start of 32x

Encore 32x.bin

PS: For those who want to see images with much more colors in Encore... Here I leave you an image of what it more or less looks like:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2024
  17. Devon

Devon help me, i am in hell Member

Here's a question. Do you really need the 32X? You're just going to enter a world of unneeded frustration with how the memory mapping works, the dual SH-2s, and all of the goofy quirks (trust me, it's a whole ass rabbit hole). If you want more channels for samples, you are better off using something like Dual PCM or XGM. As for graphics, a reminder that all you get is a frame buffer to perform software rendering on; there is no quick and easy way of getting higher color sprites and 3D polygons drawn, unless you have SH-2 code already prepared for that, and sadly, the example code doesn't.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2024
    Crimson Neo and DeltaW like this.
  18. Red2010 is now

Ah. I forgot to say something.

This test will be left unattended since no one from Team Encore is qualified for the 32x
    Sonic Encore was never intended for the Sega 32x. I didn't really want it but I had to find an excuse to use Chaotix music.
    I was working for the Dual PCM there but I was simply discouraged from adapting it to the Clone Driver

19. Red2010 is now

Sonic Encore: Preview Images. The Sequel!

A few days ago, the anniversary of the current incarnation of Sonic Encore being born (but not as such Sonic Encore) occurred.
    So, to be late with the birthday cake, I've decided to show you some sneak peeks of what's coming up for Sonic Encore.

Sonic 2 Art Loader!
    [​IMG]
    That's right. Sonic Encore should have had this since always and now it does. Now the loading times between levels are greatly reduced thanks to the Comper compression

Sound Changes:
    Since the last public demo of Sonic Encore (which does not count the 32X beta version), some changes have been made to the Clone Driver that Sonic Encore uses.

Some changes are only for Sounds except for the following new feature.

Mega PCM 2.0!
    Since Sonic Encore uses the Clone Driver. It has always been accompanied by the original Mega PCM. Which in the first updates of the year was not yet so obsolete.

But Comper came and updated all the Mega PCM to a new code much more current (I think) and efficient when starting with the music or sound effects that will use the DAC channel exclusively.

With this I (and Carlos) tried to adapt the Mega PCM 2.0 to the Clone Driver. And although we did not achieve it for the previous update, for this one it is ready.

In addition to a significant improvement with respect to the voices that are heard in music. Well, I can't say much more But.
    Sonic will say some stupid things in the middle of the game, take that information as you want.
    Credits to TheBlad768. For their integration of Mega PCM 2.0 into the SCE. Which is what Encore was based on to adapt it to the Clone Driver

And I guess this is where the most important announcement I can make about Sonic Encore comes in.
    Super Sonic!
    [​IMG]
    The seventh Chaos Emerald has joined Sonic Encore, and with it, Sonic will once and for all be able to defeat Eggman in a super transformation.

Leaving aside the non-existent story of Sonic Encore, Super Sonic still doesn't have his proper sprites made at the time of writing this (in the gif I only show the sprites made for Super Sonic).
    Other than that. I don't think it's interesting to reveal other features. Besides the extended camera which is not exactly new in this rom hack.

Besides that...a gift I guess...

Sonic Encore: Unreleased demo

As mentioned in the initial post of this thread, Sonic Encore started last year.
    Although I got dates mixed up at the time, Sonic Encore was officially born around April or May if I'm not mistaken.

It's a very incomplete demo and has almost nothing to do with the current Sonic Encore.

Image:
    [​IMG]
    Sonic Encore 04 - 24 - 2023.bin
    (the date that is in the rom is an approximate date. I really don't remember when the rom is from)

I guess that would be all. Goodbye and until the next post I guess.

Attached Files:

20. Red2010 is now

Tomorrow...
    [​IMG]
    I will also be advising that a feature announced here will not be included. Due to lack of time (and that it was in very early stages).

Attached Files: