Sonic & Knuckles Collection Windows 7 Compatibility

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by TheJeli, Nov 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheJeli

TheJeli Umm... Member

The first 2D Sonic side-scroller I ever played was Sonic & Knuckles Collection for the PC on my old Windows 98. I've got back into it after finding out about that tool that lets you play MP3s instead of MIDIs for the games music. Although when I run it on a 64-bit windows 7 machine (even with Windows 95 compatibility mode on) it plays too fast in windowed mode, and in full screen the colours go all... strange (I can't take a screenshot because the S&KC feature has normal colours and PrtSc doesn't Work at all.) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. SSGD

SSGD "I can't believe what cool boots you have on!" Member

3. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

I swear, I want to rage every time I see that "patch" being treated as some sort of sacred piece of software. All you need is to create a S3K.ini file in your C:WINDOWS directory, with the following content:

Code:
    [Debug]

MukaiDropFrame=0
    There, no patch needed at all, no links to sharing services, no links to potentially malicious software, just two lines of text to be put into an INI file.

Bonus: if you want to play without CD, add the following line too:

Code:
    CDCheckEnable=0

You know what? Since this forum allows for attachments, I'll attach a fixed S3K.ini to this post. Take it, put it in C:WINDOWS, profit!

edit: I had to put the INI file into a ZIP file because the forum didn't allow me to upload an INI file. Ironically, the ZIP file is bigger than the INI itself, lulz. I'd appreciate if an admin can replace the ZIP file with the INI file, if possible. Thanks.

S3K.zip

Attached Files:

• S3K.zip
      File size:
      154 bytes
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2011
  4. TheJeli

TheJeli Umm... Member

Thanks Nineko! Testing it now and it works fine except for the colours problem. Is there a way to fix it? because I hate playing with that tiny window.

the funny thing is I always played it on my XP, but the colours never messed up (although it did play 10 times faster when it was windowed).

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2011
  5. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

Sadly, I never experienced any color problem when playing fullscreen, then again I am using XP.

Just so you know, you can resize the window when you're not playing fullscreen: at first it looks like it's not working, but if you keep going with the mouse, it will eventually snap to a 2x size. Better than nothing, I guess.

6. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

nineko you're awesome for that post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.