Sonic Pocket Adventure - disassembly and tools

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by ValleyBell, Oct 1, 2023.

1. ValleyBell

ValleyBell Well-Known Member Member

Recently I got a few requests for a release of the Sonic Pocket Adventure disassembly I did back in 2016.
    I always wanted to release it at some point, so this gave me a reason to finally clean it up and release it to the public.

And so I started collecting everything I did with SPA back in 2015/2016. Let's be honest - I was really surprised about how much effort I put into this back then.
    I didn't just disassemble the game, but I also wrote a bunch of tools. Some of them helped analysing the game, indentifying/dumping graphics and sounds. Others were written for the Sonic Pocket Winter hack and allowed to do graphics and sound editing. There is a modification of SonLVL that can be used for editing levels.
    The sound driver was disassembled and even received a reimplementation in C.
    I almost completely forgot about the TLCS-900 IDA plugin, which I had modified to output files that the AS assembler can reassemble.
    AS also got a few patches to allow for an almost bit-perfect rebuild of the original ROM from the disassembly.

So after more than a month of work, I eventually got everything sorted and documented. Some tools received minor updates to remove hardcoded paths and fix bugs.

And here it is: the Sonic Pocket Adventure Disassembly and Tools package

Everything mentioned above is in there.

Enjoy hacking!

2. Devon

Devon I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me? Member

You did already release the disassembly back in 2016. However, this is definitely a much more complete package, so it's real nice to see, especially since the SPA branch of SonLVL seems to have been taken down.

3. ValleyBell

ValleyBell Well-Known Member Member

I don't consider the disassembly of Sonic Pocket Winter a "proper" release of the SPA disassembly, because it features numerous changes from the vanilla game.
    I also did some additional labelling after SPW, so this release is definitely an improvement over the SPW source code as well.

The SonLVL branch was turned into a separate repository called SonLVL-SPA.

4. Devon

Devon I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me? Member

Oh shoot, I thought that was a source release of the hack, I misinterpreted. My apologies.