Sonic: Return to South Island (GHZ Only) - First Release! (SGD2014 Contest Version)

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by presto, Nov 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. presto

presto Raised from the dead... Member

Hello there!

For a long time, I've been working on a hack called Sonic: Return to South Island (May change the name later...)

For now, I've added the spindash (duh), a double-jump, and an insta-shield (TheRobotIcDeveloper helped a LOT).

The playable zone in this version (which is still WIP) is Sunrise Hill Zone. Act 1 is finished, Act 2 is WIP, and Act 3 hasn't been touched yet.

For convenience, I added a video and screenshots. (The graphical glitches in the video, except the shield in Act 2, are because of recording.)

Video:

Screenshots:

[​IMG]

This is the title screen. Nothing special. Only the 'PRESS START BUTTON' and 'Copyright: PRESTO' were changed.

[​IMG]

This is Sonic preforming the Insta-Shield (again, thanks TheRoboticDeveloper)

[​IMG]

This is Sonic at the end of Act 1. (TBA: Victory animation.)

[​IMG]

This is at the start of Act 3. (Unedited)

[​IMG]

And finally, the boss.

Known Issues:

- The shield sometimes has messed up mappings. (see video)

- The insta-shield sound still plays while being invincible.

- Some things I'm forgetting...

Credits (for now):

[sUPERCREDITS]:

- TheRoboticDeveloper, for making the insta-shield

- LuigiXHero, for porting the MIDI for Act 3 (the MIDI was made by Master Emerald)

- Sonic Retro's How to's

- SSRG Forum posts :p

- Nineko, for all of the music (except Act 3)

Anyone who wants to playtest this, PM me for link.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2014
  2. DJaftershock

DJaftershock TWO-DEE-ECKS-GOLD Member

I really must question some of the sound and music choices. That title screen music(For the few seconds it played) was... not fitting. I don't understand why the end-of-stage jingle is sped-up so much, the boss music is PAINFUL and the invincibility music just... seems off. That being said, the layouts ARE pretty cool and I haven't really seen someone put the insta-shield in S1 outside of Megamix, so props on that.

Oh, and what was with the Special Stage?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  3. Okami

Okami Newcomer Trialist

This seems like it would be a really good hack. I swear I've heard the Sunrise Hill Act 1 music somewhere before. It was a Sonic CD song, right? JAP Soundtrack?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2014
  4. Para_

Para_ A Ghost Member

Did you change the instruments? It seems very 8-bit, and I don't know it sounds piercing a bit.

Though other than that, I hope that the title is work in progress, honestly I'm really tired of people's usernames in there hack name, I feel it's really unoriginal.  

And changed that first special stage.. It looks way to easy.

5. Kaz

Kaz Well-Known Member Member

The S2Beta Invincibility Music? Oh yeah, that's a major quirk that happens ALOT of times with poor-done conversions of this song.

6. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

If I'm not mistaken, he finished the level with speed shoes on, which causes this even in the original iirc.

Yup, it was a song which I initially converted for Electroball (no, the links in that post don't work anymore, because my webhost decided to pull the plug and I can't edit my post since that topic is locked), which I also made available on the Repository.

That special stage is awesome. I want to play it now.

Definitely not bad for a first effort, overall. It needs more work though, so keep it up! :)

And yes I still hate that jump sound with all of myself.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2014
  7. Stardust

Stardust [screams in cat] Member

One nitpick: Sunrise Hill doesn't fit for a zone that isn't set in dawn, Why not name the zone, Peaceful Valley Zone or something? Apart from that nitpick, looking forward to more progress.

8. Irixion

Irixion Well-Known Member Member

I like it. looks pretty interesting. You may wanna fix the broken conversions as they make everything sound 8 bit. I'm also not a fan of the SCD jump sound, but I never really liked it to begin with. As for the boss music, please pick different instruments. I know making instruments are hard, but there's plenty to choose from from the SMPS archive right here on SSRG! :p

This looks promising, keep up the good work!

9. LooneyDude

LooneyDude Back after a long absence! Member

When will people stop using South Island in the title!? Seriously!?

10. Crimson Neo

Crimson Neo I changed a lot. Member

yeah, but I liked the name(in my opinion), sounds cool. But the name of hack isn't important.

11. Guest

The name really don't bother me at all but as neo said, that's besides the point. As for the hack itself after finally getting a chance to try it, have to say that it's off to a pretty decent start. parts of the level layouts are actually pretty good for it's stature though I can see your still working on them a bit so i can understand that. my only nitpick with this is the placement of the objects. for instance such as the monitors and the breakable wall inside the s-tube. for the most part again, while there are some things to be done as you stated, off to a decent start.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  12. presto

HUGE UPDATE: First (SGD2014 Version) is officially released.

Here's the download.

EDIT: Forgot to credit TheRoboticDeveloper for S3&K music ports.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2014
  13. Crimson Neo

Crimson Neo I changed a lot. Member

[​IMG]
    I guess you might can put a spring or bridge here? Because, the first thing someone will do(at least me) is use spin dash... later fall in that pit, that platform isn't much useful, also some objects need somes reposition,excusing those thing, your layout isn't bad, is pretty good actually. Keep in this way.

14. presto

Looks like Razor & Zenon played through my hack. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.