Sonic The Hedgehog 2.0

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by a383le, Dec 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a383le

a383le Newcomer Member

Sonic The Hedgehog 2.0

V1.2.2

Changes:

new background-GHZ

-Spin Dash

-Jump Dash

-new font

-New HUD

-Fixed bugs of original game

-new levels

-new palette

-new sprites

Download v1.2.2

UPD.

v1.2.5

fixed demo

added credits

new homming attack (thanks to Vladikcomper)

Sonic rolled into a ball in air by pressing "A"

music in level select

screenshot:

[​IMG]

Download v 1.2.5

PS:sorry for my bad English, I'm from Russia

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2010
  2. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2009
  3. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

Sonic 2.0 v1.2.2? I'm confused now...

Also, agreed with SOTI, this looks like it was done with vladikcomper's S1 hacking Studio. If it is the fact, then this is nothing special.

4. a383le

a383le Newcomer Member

no, it's not Sonic Hacking Studio) I began to do a hack for a long time, but decided to just lay out just now))

2.0 is a name

1.2.2 is version)

5. vladikcomper

vladikcomper Well-Known Member Member

Maybe that's because of Sonic sprite by hbrd. Both S1 Hacking Studio and a383le's Sonic 2.0 use it. :)

I saw the progress of this hack from the beginning on a russian forum. A383le had added Spin Dash himself, before S1 Hacking Studio released. Jump Dash seems to be added using Selbi's guide.

The only thing I did for this hack was giving my quick guide "How to increase Sonic's top speed".

6. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

So I decided to try out this hack, and I think I can see where people are coming from with the whole"simular to hacking studio" an all. There are some new stuff implemented, but there not complete,there incomplete stuff that need work. So I await something with less incomplete stuff and more complete stuff.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2009
  7. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Very interesting, I thought something was odd, it felt like the S3&K sound driver was used =)

as for the jump dash, I notice it has a bit of a homing attack going on in areas, I'm not sure if I'm simply seeing things, it does however appear to be very buggy in terms of not performing in certain areas.

Well I guess good luck with the hack, it's fairly OK but like animiemaster said, needs a lot of fixing up in places.

EDIT: also feel free to upload this to Hacktube

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2009
  8. ddrmaxromance

ddrmaxromance Well-Known Member Member

Wow! Very impressive. First, a few things I enjoyed when playing your game: I really like the layout for Star Light Zone! It seemed fast, and I already got a new life [thanks to 100 rings] in just the first 10 seconds of playing. Stone Ruins is pretty awesome to run through as well. I appreciate the choice of music, but I really think you should either mix and match songs from the entire series, rather than just Sonic 3 and 3D Blast. Better yet, why not try coming up with a few original pieces of your own? :)

Of course, some things did bother me, such as the background for GHZ/title screen. I think it's just the way it moves, but the tiles themselves are full of color and are vivid. Maybe there is something wrong with the deformation btw the title screen and GHZ, as I vaguely remember if they were separate files or not with the disassembler [if you know what I mean].

All-in-all, I see a lot of progress and enjoy the new layouts!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2009
  9. a383le

a383le Newcomer Member

Thank you for good reviews))I used scrolling MZ, but I will correct him because went out badly)) I will add a few music from s2. I do not plan to add own))

ADD: I has laid out a hack again with the corrected scrolling, and put on the hacktube

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2009
  10. a383le

a383le Newcomer Member

updated first post)))

upd v1.2.5

11. vladikcomper

Well, Homing Attack has made gameplay far more funnier. =)

Though I wonder why have you set Homing Attack being called only by A button? It's very annoying for Kega users because they have to use Ctrl key.

As for your art, it's quite good, though I don't like SYZ walls texture, it's too bright and contrast for my eyes.

12. Thorn

Thorn wroar Member

Frankly, I don't care for the increased top speed that you and vladikcomper use, because it makes platforming unwieldy. But that's just me.

What's definitely a problem, though, is that one of the appeals of Sonic games is the nature of the paths to constantly be moving up and down. But the hardest parts of this hack seem to be the sections where you have long flats with badniks on them. It's one thing to have a long, flat stretch on occasion, but they're everywhere in here. If this is your style of level design, I'd strongly suggest looking into hacking Super Mario World instead of Sonic 1.

I feel bad not saying any good things, but the hack really didn't appeal to me. I'm a layout whore, and once that grates on me, I pretty much can't enjoy the complete package.

13. SaunicBoom

SaunicBoom Well-Known Member Member

In Kega (and most emulators for that matter), you can always change which buttons are assigned to which keys, so you're not always limited to what the hack has set the moveset to.

I've heard of this hack but haven't come around to trying it yet. I'll be sure to do that and edit this post with my thoughts and opinions on it a little later.

14. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

Sincerely i'm impressed with the level layouts of it. But, this SYZ background... is so... blank. It need more details, sincerely this needs to be better.

Well, your GHZ palette has something on that green that hurt my eyes a bit.

My suggestion about SLZ is you to change it into a Icy level. This should turn it into something awesome. Well, your layout stuff at all levels is excellent.

15. a383le

a383le Newcomer Member

SYZ I just wanted to do and the ice cap)) still have ideas for LZ, but there is nothing I will not write)) that was later))

yes) background a little bit not successful, but I then replaced all of them) later))

Buttons remapped, too, on "A" "B" "C"

it is not the end)) will still continue to work on the hack))

16. vladikcomper

I know the possibility to set a hack its own moveset is presented in Gens, but I haven't found this function in Kega. Anyways, it's better to change a button for calling Homing Attack than making users store key assignments themselves.

You're right. It really should use original (or a little higher) top speed, but with speed cap fixed. Using increased top speed is my bad habit. Some time ago I even didn't know what does Speed Cap mean due to bad English, so I got used just to increase top speed in every hack I made. But I'm going to break off this habit.

17. SaunicBoom

Go to 'Options', click on 'Set Config...', then click on the 'Controllers' tab and you should see it.

Edit: It's really unfair of me to go off-topic, so I finally got around to trying out the hack. The layouts are pretty good, they don't present too much of a challenge but aren't exactly the easiest to get through. Though I will say that I personally don't really care for levels that almost play by themselves, by which I mean all you need to do is hold right or hold down most of the time to complete the level (Quick note: Death Egg Zone Act 3 is the most challenging level by far. =P)

You're hack isn't half bad. I enjoyed playing it and will keep up with the updates you provide. Well done. =)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2010
  18. vladikcomper

I know about this tab. I meant a possibility to ... (omg, can't explain this correctly due to bad english =( ) change key assignments, for example only for this hack, but don't change it for others. It seems there is such possibility in Gens, but in Kega, there isn't.

19. SaunicBoom

Oh, I think I see what you mean. You're looking for a way to save the key assignments into it's own file so you don't have to repeatedly assign the keys everytime you want to play a game. Well we can only hope a future release will give us this option.

20. MAXXX309

MAXXX309 Newcomer Exiled

Very impressive hack! I'm pleased, waiting for the new version!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.