Sonic the Hedgehog Featuring Rouge the Bat

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by Blaumagier, Jun 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blaumagier

Blaumagier Blue Mage Member

Project's Current Status: Working on ending, opening, and the unused sprites.

Beta 1.0 The old build can be found here

This build is a palette and sprite swap only. The final product will have a bit more, including flight, gliding, climbing, and kicking if I can do things correctly.

Beta 2.0 will be released to the public when I get all of the easy work (every sprite swapped out, essentially) finished.

The first "full version" will be 3.0 and will include the more advanced ASM hacking - this one may take a very long time to get as I need to learn it completely. Version 3.0 will have redone levels. This project is evolving beyond the scope of simply inserting a character into Sonic 1.

To Do List (In order of priority):

• Get the project caught back up to where it was. (This involves: Sorting the sprites I've recovered and figuring out what is missing; Recreating any missing sprites and possibly recoloring them to fit into the palette I used at the very end of the work I did before I lost it all; Redoing the sprite swap's; Again re-editing the line that changes the title card when a level is cleared)
    • Change Sonic's ending sprite when he jumps out at the screen. This one is a toughie for me because I pretty much need to build a sprite from scratch.
    • Change title screen.
    • Revamp the HUD - Still thinking about how exactly I want to do this one.
    • Add the ability to Glide, when the C button is pressed in the air, and Climb like Knuckles - at the moment I am thinking an exact duplicate to correspond with SA2, but I may take out the ability to deal damage with the glide.
    • Add a kicking ability when the A button is pressed. Get it to work differently in the air.
    • Redo the levels.
    • Maybe add a few secrets.
    Ideas for using this build in a new project:

• Put Sonic back Shadow and Omega in and create a character select screen.
    • If everything else goes well, I may try to add other characters with unique moves.
    Current Known Issues:

• Lack of a few sprites - I suck at making sprites and need ending and title screen sprites.
    Screen Shots:

These are old and from a build that no longer exists. Newer ones in later post.

[​IMG]

Rouge standing in front of an Eggman sign. He must have been high when they took his picture.

[​IMG]

This shows off my edited title card and the signpost I made.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2009
  2. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

I think you bought the BETA out a bit too early seeming as Sonic has only changed. But looking at your screens, it's looking better. Glas Rouge is fitting in nicely.

3. Blaumagier

It may be a little bit early, but since this is my very first project, I wanted to do something very small and simple. Sort of a "Hey I can do this and here's the proof" kind of thing. So, simply changing all the sprites used in the game is a big step. With the build I currently have in my posession, I am actually considering only changing the title screen, ending sprites, and adding Rouge's signature moves before calling it a final version. At that point I will take what I have and morph it into a new project with Rouge.

4. Ashy-Bridge

Ashy-Bridge Newcomer Trialist

Blah, won't let me download. :x

From what I can see from the Screenies, your using battle Rouge. @@; I suggest searching around for a decent Genesis Rouge.. actually:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/Xe...n/rouge2ve2.png

Those are pretty good and have most of the poses required for Sonic 1 use. :)

5. Blaumagier

Odd, the download works fine for me.

As for the sprites, I'm using battle sprites recolored to look like her Sonic Heroes outfit. I had a hell of a time finding sprites for her with enough different poses and the battle sprites were the best I could find. In the end, what I've got turned out pretty good and I'm pleased with them. Those in that link there are really good, but I've already made all the sprites I need, or have them on the sprite sheets I've got, except for ones for the ending sequence and climbing, so I'm going to stick with what I've got.

If the download is still giving you trouble, email me at lothis@hotmail.com and I'll send it via email.

6. Blaumagier

This update is a little embarrassing for me, but must be made regardless. I've had a long absence due to moving and then Windows corrupted on me. I backed up all my files on my Linux partition and reinstalled Windows - unfortunately it wiped the entire hard drive instead of just the Windows partition.

The result is that all I have from this project are the sprites that I managed to recover. Its going to take me a bit of time to get the project back to where it was previously.

7. Blaumagier

Well, things are taking me a while since this semester at school I am extremely busy. I am taking my last class before I get my Airframe Certificate and I've got a LOT of studying to do for the end of the semester. I have, so far, recovered all of the sprites that I will be able to. I haven't yet gone through the sprites to see if I got all of them or not. I'll try to squeeze in the time for this stuff, but I can't promise much except that my presence here WILL be sparse until at least the end of the year.

One victory I can note is that I recovered my sign post that RHS complimented :)

I also recovered the sprite sheet I was mainly using, so in a worst case scenario, I will have to recreate a few sprites, no big deal. It is all do-able.

8. UtopiaUK

UtopiaUK Well-Known Member Member

It is so fun playing as a new character. I enjoyed playing this hack.

9. Blaumagier

I have been inspired anew to restart this project and successfully caught back up to where I was. Using a new sprite sheet I found (created by some guy named Joe T. E.), I have come up with a set of sprites that work beautifully, along with some of my old frankenstein-method built Rouge sprites that I had to recolor. I still lack the ending sprites (when Sonic releases the Chaos Emeralds and jumps out at the screen) and opening sprites, but all the other sprites are done, aside from the unused ones. If anyone wants to come up with some opening or ending sprites for me, I would be eternally grateful. Now, here's some pictures from the new build.

[​IMG]

Standing at the beginning of GHZ. The HUD is green because I swapped out the yellow for it. I'm planning to redo the HUD though, so if it looks like crap, don't worry, it's not there to stay.

[​IMG]

A teetering sprite. Notice the new palette did not barfify the crab meat.

[​IMG]

A simple spring propelled jump.

[​IMG]

Running across the bridge. Again notice that the new palette has not barfified the enemies.

[​IMG]

Rouge looking up. I turned on some anti-aliasing on Gens for screen shots after this just to make em look prettier. The bee dude is apparently the only enemy in the game that I have barfified. I'm just going to redo it, shouldn't be too tough.

[​IMG]

The new looking down sprite.

[​IMG]

The new hurt sprite. The motobug doesn't look bad with a pink face, actually.

[​IMG]

New jumping and rolling sprites.

[​IMG]

New braking sprites. Out of all of the new sprites, I think these were the most improved.

[​IMG]

It looks like Eggman has come out of rehab. He still gots them CRAZY eyes though.

[​IMG]

End of Act title cards properly redone and the signpost is looking better than ever.

[​IMG]

Looks like Eggman pimped out his Eggmobile with some pink window tint and a pink seat.

10. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

I like the idea of putting rouge in, nice so far with the sprites keep it up!.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.