Sonic's Fun and Easy Adventure

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by Devon, Nov 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devon

Devon Down you're going... down you're going... Member

[​IMG]

Are the classic Sonic games too ball-bustingly hard for you? Is Green Hill Zone from Sonic 1 just too hard to get past for you? Well I have a solution FOR YOU!!! That's right! You!

SONIC'S FUN AND EASY ADVENTURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This hack features a super duper ultra mega easy......

Fuck it, you all already know what this is about. It's a hack where I threw together shit nobody liked in the classic Sonic games and this was the end result to make it as tedious and annoying as I could in two weeks.

This hack features Wacky Workbench and its bouncy floors along with Metropolis badniks, bumper platforming, spikes, Eggman monitors, barrels, Sonic 1 special stage diamonds, a couple Labyrinth Zone gimmicks, [insert anything I forgot I added], and to top it all off, the Wing Fortress boss, which I and a few others found to be rather obnoxious and just overall shit, that ends with a kewl ending. All just to piss you off, because I dunno, I got bored one day and I wanted to piss some people off for my own amusement. lol

While it may looks like a Sonic 1, CD, or 2, hack, it's none of that. It's a Sonic 3K hack that was changed significantly to look like Sonic 1/CD.

Also that SEGA FMV was made using the same method as Sonic 3D Blast's SEGA screen, so that's cool I guess.

There is one known bug that is rather game breaking, and it's that at the bumper climbing section, the bottom-most bumper will sometimes unload for whatever reason, and thus, make the section impossible. Luckily for you, I guess, it that I left in a free movement mode, which is like debug mode, but you can't place objects. Just enter the Sonic 1 level select code at the title and it's enabled.

Also an image drawn by BinBowie can be seen if you enter Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right A B A B at the title screen.

Download

Other links:
    Expo Entry Page (Original Release)
    Sonic Retro Wiki Page

Project Leader
    - Novedicus/Ralakimus
    Programming
    - Novedicus/Ralakimus
    Custom artwork
    - Novedicus/Ralakimus
    - BinBowie
    - VAdaPEGA
    Custom music
    - BinBowie
    Special Thanks
    - vladikcomper - Mega PCM
    - Clownacy - Sonic 2 Clone Driver v2
    - Title screen - Papagenu (He's My Sassafrass) by Tenacious D
    - Game over - Total Distortion Game Over Theme (You Are Dead Dead Dead)
    - Level - BYE-BYE by 有頂天
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    Niko, Pacca, FохConED and 11 others like this.
  2. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

While the game itself is pretty frustrating, I am excited to see what else you have in store with that engine you're working on.

I liked in Johnny's stream when not long after reading the description they started trying to figure out what game it was based on.

3. NoneofyourBusiness

NoneofyourBusiness Bag of plums. Member

no spike bug
    0/10

4. ArcaniaCQ

ArcaniaCQ Well-Known Member Member

Where is the water? 0/10

(Tbh tho I think you should start making a serious hack. You have the skills to do an impressive hack.)

5. Angel X

Angel X Well-Known Member Member

And the slowness of Sonic in Sonic Labyrinth? -10/10
    (I agree with CaveQuest.)

6. NoneofyourBusiness

NoneofyourBusiness Bag of plums. Member

Just finished playing the hack, and yes, it was quite difficult, and it was also pretty fun, and impressive!
    I think one of the hardest parts for me was the bumper platforming section. I was also kinda bummed that there wasn't a Genesis port of Wacky Workbench, that would've been great!
    Overall, pretty dang good! It definitely succeeded with what it intended to do. Feel free to ignore my dumb joke post... XD

7. Devon

Small update.

Now works properly on hardware. Also fixed sound driver issues that made it all sound wonky on hardware as well.

8. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

I just tried it for the first time. I actually quite enjoyed it (then again, I'm probably the only person on the planet who unironically loves playing labyrinth zone, so it's probably just me). I did notice some things that seemed a little off, though:
    • The Metropolis zone yellow bouncers, as well as the regular bumpers, interact with Sonic while he's hurt. This was my only problem with sections like this in other Sonic games, and the fix actually makes them feel a lot easier, and far less bothersome. This bug was the only reason I disliked the yellow bumpers in Metropolis in the first place. Of course, this is a welcome fix, it just doesn't fit the theme of this particular hack.
    • The Slicers behavior is different; they throw their slicers diagonally up always, instead of locking on to Sonic. Initially, this was slightly more annoying, but it ultimately makes them a lot more predictable, and easier to deal with.
    • I managed to clip through the right most barrier in the boss room, which killed me.
    • Just an interesting little tidbit regarding the Sonic CD move set; in the original game, pressing down while doing a peelout forced you to spindash instead! Of course, it was nearly impossible to do this on hardware, but nowadays, with emulators and keyboards, it's pretty easy to trigger. If implemented, it makes it harder to roll out of a peelout, which I feel would fit the theme of this hack, and makes it harder to abuse the peelout in general.

On a more positive note, I really like the title screen; it reminds me a lot of old flash games. And of course, the object ports are really cool too; it feels like you could mash up anything from S1/S2/SCD/S3K you wanted without too much effort. Good job :D

EDIT: Just tried out free placement mode after writing this. I managed to activate "pinball mode" multiple times, seemingly by just rolling into walls. Odd...

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    ProjectFM likes this.
  9. Devon

Personally, I find it more annoying to get hit into a set of wall bumpers, especially when you're trying to go past them. In the beginning of the level, for example, there's a pit with a set of wall bumpers and right after them is a Slicer.

I don't quite get this, as I directly ported the Slicer object over from Sonic 2.

Would you be able to tell me how you were able to clip through?

This is due to how I programmed the peelout and spindash differently from Sonic CD. I programmed them more like how the spindash was in Sonic 2, because of personal programming preference, really.

Ahh, yeah, I forgot about that bug.

Next time I feel like going through the source again, I'll see what I can do about all this. Right now, this hack is no longer a top priority for me.

10. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

The only reason I found the bumpers to be annoying was that you'd be forced to go up after your invincibility frames ended, often causing you to run right into the enemy, take damage, and then fall down the chute all over again. Oh well, it's personal preference I suppose. If everyone else finds it annoying, then it's fine.

After I noticed the Slicers always seemed to shoot upwards, I went to Metropolis in Vanilla Sonic 2, just to double check their behavior. It is definitely different; the ones in Metropolis threw them straight at me, instead of over my head.

I can't quite remember how I clipped through the barrier; it was either by running straight into the boss room, not stopping in between, or maybe it happened during the boss battle... I wish I could say more, I can't imagine what little I could remember being helpful for debugging...

It's fine that the spindash behavior is different from the start, this is somewhat unexpected behavior. From my personal experience, though, this change is usually pretty easy to implement; just add an extra check for pressing down in the peelout code, and then run the spindash code in that case.

Regardless of the little issues along the way, this was still a lot of fun. I'm excited to see what you make in the future.

Devon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.