SSRG Hack Mini Competition

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by MarkeyJester, Mar 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Exactly what's said above.

This is "NOT" the "Hacking Contest", this is just a mini competition. (Just thought I'd make that clear)

I thought it would be fun to have a mini competition here with the prize being a brand new splash screen, I didn't want to make this screen 100% public because I find that this screen has to show what this forum has to offer, and if it is put into hacks that aren't note worthy, it doesn't give a good impression (not to say SSRG has a good impression already, being honest here).

So, what do you have to do? Make a hack, it could be what you're working on right now, or maybe just something new, as long as you can impress me with what you've done. You have a total of 2 months to make whatever it is you're making, and you can submit them to me at any time "during" the 2 months. You can send them to me via the PM system.

I'm not looking for anything specifically here, I take a close eye at "Art", "Music", "Programming", "Professional touches", "Brilliant layout changes", "Organisation", or a few others, you don't have to have done a good job at all of them, just at least one, so for example, if you're no good at art or music, but you can put together a nice flowing level that's clean and fits together well, then I WILL pick up on this and accept it.

All the hacks that are decent will get the splash screen as a reward, others that are not decent enough, won't, it's as simple as that.

You are not forced to get involved if you don't want to, it's completely up to you, good luck folks. Feel free to ask any questions.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2011
  2. Lone Devil

Lone Devil Internet War Veteran Member

Holy Fucking Shit, this OWNS Retro's IMO.

I really want this splash screen, going to send you my WIP hack in PM to see if is worthy to have it.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2011
  3. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

Interesting Markey, may have a bash. My hacks not too far off from completion =P.

4. FireRat

FireRat Do Not Interact With This User, Anywhere!!! Exiled

Hmm, I can do something like this... but just if I have the art files. Argh, I'm really shit drawing art :(

5. M.N.K.

M.N.K. In the River of Darkness... Member

I second this on what animemaster said. though i still need to make a bit more edits here and there (art, asm & music wise in this case), my hack is also neer completion =P. so expect a PM from me sometime

6. SaunicBoom

SaunicBoom Well-Known Member Member

Interesting little contest. I'd definetly love to do something for this, seeing as I've already got a few ideas floating off the top of my head. But my ideas would require some extensive knowledge in programming, which is holding me back dearly. In the end it's okay since I don't care much about splash screens. I am curious as to what some of you guys will come up with (and possibly share with us :(), so with that I wish the best of luck to all entries. =)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2011
  7. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

That's kind of a shame though considering the beauty of it is that, you don't have to have a good technical mind and have to be good at "programming", if you're good at something else like for example; level designing either from an art point of view or from a layout point of view, or maybe music and sound effects, as long as it's unique, clever, and clean, then it works for me.

I'm simply looking to see "how" you go about executing your work, not necessarily what it is =)

8. Cinossu

Cinossu A blend of secret herbs and spices Member

Eh, why not, I'll post the one I made ages ago..

.. short, to the point.. ja. :>

9. jspamax

jspamax Newcomer Exiled

How about a competition where money is on the line?

Just a thought. :(

10. DanielHall

DanielHall Well-Known Member Member

No.

Anyway, is there a deadline?

11. FireRat

I'm trying to draw the art for the screen... is hard for me, I'm shit drawing :(

12. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Well two months from my initial post is.... 10 May 2011

And haha, cool stuff Cinossu =P

13. SpirituInsanum

SpirituInsanum Well-Known Member Member

I'm curious to see which hacks will get your splash screen, really. ^^

This said, I don't like splash screens. The "SEGA" screen is ok (without the sound and when it can be skipped...), but every screen between it and the title screen is a nuisance to me xD

One technical question though: is the green Sonic on your splash screen a new sprite, or is it using the game's sprite with a green palette? I'm asking because many people are using different sprite sheets.

14. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

It's a hard coded set of mappings for that screen alone, so regardless of sprite sheets made/chosen, this will remain the same. And on subject of skipping splash screens, this one can be skipped by pressing start during.

15. StephenUK

StephenUK Working on a Quackshot disassembly Member

I'll just raise my hand here now since you've already seen what I'm working on. Not really much point in me sending a PM.

16. Shadow Fire

Shadow Fire Well-Known Member Member

I wanted it. You didn't release it. :p

lol

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2011
  17. DeoxysKyogre

DeoxysKyogre No idea what to put here .-. Member

I'm also showing a mock-up of a SSRG splash screen which Trox and I are working on:

[​IMG]

Actually, my hack is really far from completion and it won't be completed on May.

This screen will have text movement too.

18. FireRat

Now there's not a longer mockup... now a real shot!:

[​IMG]

Is almost complete, we're completing the program and/or ideas

EDIT: Grammar

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2011
  19. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

As cool as it is, isn't this a competition to win Markey jester's splash screen? not a splash screen contest =P.

20. MicroChirp

MicroChirp Wow, I was so stupid a few years ago... Member

Sonic Stuff Rescarch Group?

Bad grammar, but awesome!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.