Super Sonic in Sonic 1

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by vladikcomper, Feb 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vladikcomper

vladikcomper Well-Known Member Member

It happened by accident...

A hacker was making pseudo-Super Sonic, just using invincibility stars. He showed his work on a Russian forum, but had problems with decreasing rings count, so I decided to help him. After that he tried to make Sonic's pallete yellow, but didn't succeed again. I didn't know much about how pallete cycles worked, so I've got interested in this thing and start exploring it. So I successfully ported Super Sonic pallete cycle to Sonic 1 and completely knew out about pallete cycles.

After that I couldn't stop... As a result, I has ported Super Sonic to Sonic 1. It took me 4 days.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sonic can become Super only by hitting the "S"-monitor. You need at least 10 rings to transform.

"S"-monitors are absent in some levels, which are LZ(2,3), SBZ(2,3), SLZ (1,2,3), FZ.

Download test ROM: http://vladikcomper.narod.ru/download/s1super.zip

Note that there are some bugs which are easy to fix, but unfixed. For example, the game doesn't give Super Sonic right acceleration/deceleration in Obj01_InWater and Obj01_OutWater subroutines, it simply doesn't checks if he's super. Also, some objects are getting yellow, when Sonic becomes super. Though I has replaced colours in some objects (Eggman, Buzzbomber, Motorbug).

I'm not able to fix these right now, after that hell with mappings and animations, I need a rest.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2010
  2. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

Nice to see that porting Super Sonic is not a hard job anymore. I might think if I should try it myself one day too.

That is actually not a bug, but a very well known issue in Sonic games (even for the original Sonic 2). I'd like to know a way how to do it, but I'm not that sure though... I was thinking about making a fifth palette line, which is going to be used by Super Sonic only, while Buzz Bomber etc. still use line 1, which is the unchanged Sonic palette. If you could do that, you would be totally awesome. :pingas:

3. vladikcomper

The fact I has ported it doesn't mean it's an easy thing to do :pingas:

In fact, you'll have unexpected problems while porting. That's because animations in Sonic 1 work slightly different and the game engine must be fixed to handle more than $80 mapping frames.

I don't think it's possible. Sega MD can display only 64 colors, which are split into four pallete lines.

4. sten77

sten77 Newcomer Member

Vladikomper Hello, You think that you can place an option in your Sonic1 Hacking Super Sonic Studio? Or a tutorial? It would be very useful for new, a good starting point for new Hack...

5. Selbi

And HOW would you explain yourself how LZ's Water thing works? =P

6. Thorn

Thorn wroar Member

^ Now, I'm not very experienced in this area, but I did stop by Sonic Retro administrator GerbilSoft's abode a while ago and I got to see work on his emulator in progress. It showed "beyond" the normal edges of the screen, if that makes any sense. What I noticed there was that it would show the normal background color (like you see above/below the screen in Gens or Kega) on the edges from the top to the water's surface, where it would change to the underwater background color from that point to the bottom. So I'd have to guess that the additional colors are switched to at a certain boundary at a system level, not just on the ROM's level. That would make a fifth palette line next to impossible.

I know that I'm not using technical terms there, and I'm not even sure how close to correct that is even with the technical terms inserted, but it makes sense to me.

7. vladikcomper

I guess it works something like this: when it comes to draw underwater part of level, the game replaces normal pallete lines in CRAM with underwater ones.

But using this trick for additional pallete line is more than mad and hard. It's better (and far more easier) to edit some object's art.

People should figure out how to add Super Sonic themselves. Porting this is an achievement even for skilled hackers. Making this achievement a stupid copy-paste guide would make much harm for both hacking and hackers.

8. MrSpade

MrSpade It's meant to be Mr_Spad3 but y'know... Member

I very much agree with Vladikcomper, you really cannot expect people to put EVERY possible aspect into a program where you just click one button and say it's 'yours'

Everybody had to start from a low point, it's natural, so there is no reason for you to have a headstart over us.

9. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

Agreed. It would be as bad as when there was a tutorial for supersonic, and everyone was just copy/pasting like it was nothing. If you take the time and effort to learn how the program works ad keep at it, you will succeed. It was the same when I was more or less a noob, I had lots of problems but in the end I fixed them and acheived supersonic in sonic 1. You just have to keep at it.

10. Selbi

There was a tutorial for Super Sonic, which, however, the user removed again for this reason.

As I read this right now, I'm happy my Peelout guide got removed. And I think, before trying to port Super Sonic's art, music and what do I know, you should just try to make the basic coding - making Sonic invincible and maybe a feature to reduce rings.

11. Hanoch

Hanoch Well-Known Member Member

I have a super sonic in my hack too, but since I am using sonic 3 sprites it is almost impossible to seperate the mappings and PLCS from the file to have correct super sprites. And the palette is fucked up when you are in SBZ1, sonic flashes like a rainbow.

12. Zulkaroth

Zulkaroth Newcomer Member

Nice job, vladikcomper!

I heartily concur that porting Super Sonic is not an easy feat, definitely not one to be "tutorialed", and I hope to see this feature in any future hacks you may create.

13. vladikcomper

You don't need to separate the mappings and PLCs. I guess you have incorrect sprites because of using more than $80 sprites for Sonic. Sonic 1 engine can't handle more than $80 frames, but this bug is easy to fix.

Yes, I'll definitely include Super Sonic in my future hacks.

14. Pokepunch

Pokepunch That guy who posts on occasion Member

How did you fix it??

15. vladikcomper

In fact, to do this you have to replace just 2 rows in BuildSprites routine. But to find out these rows you must understand how the routine works, compare it to Sonic 2's one.

I'm not going to point on these lines, because most of people would just copy-pasted them having absolutely no knowledge about what they do.

16. MAXXX309

MAXXX309 Newcomer Exiled

I played this hack a month ago, Super Sonic is awesome!

And thanks for mentioning me.

17. Hypermysticadam

Hypermysticadam Newcomer Trialist

Nice Job on putting not only s boxes but supersonic as well

18. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

If you bump another fucking thread like this you're gone for a week. You were warned about this before.

19. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

Already twice? Oh gawd, I'm not having this!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.