Super Sonic to Sonic 1 Help

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Javier, Feb 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Javier

Javier Active Member Exiled

I need help porting Super Sonic into Sonic 1. I got the code from the Sonic 2 2007 Xenowhirl disassembly and I got the palette cycles from it. When I inserted the code into the sonic1.asm file and built the rom. I got all 6 Chaos Emeralds and when sonic gets 50 rings he transforms but the HUD and the lives counter disappears and the music starts playing but Sonic won't turn yellow and he isn't invincible. Here is the code.

Code.txt

Attached Files:

2. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

It really wasn't necessary to have the code as an attachment. Next time, just paste it directly into the post.

Anyway, porting Super Sonic really isn't necessary, as that feature is more or less simply an act of changing a few values and letting Sonic do his yellow bling-bling. It's easier and more flexible for you if you simply try to recreate the basic idea of a super mode from scratch:

• Activate upon having all emeralds and at least 50 rings
    • Active upon double jump in mid-air
    • Turn invincible
    • Increase speed and jump height
    • Drain one ring per second and revert to normal at zero
    Ignore all the fancy palette cycle and alternate sprites as well as the music for a moment. Instead, simply focus on these five points and you will already have the majority done. You shouldn't worry about visuals until you really need them.
    Also, as a final hint, if that code you posted there is everything you ported, you really shouldn't wonder about this whole thing not working.

3. Javier

That's not the whole code its just part of it I also have the palette cycle. I also just figured out on why the hud disappeared since it was just the animation code. I also need help of putting Super Sonic's animations into Sonic 1 just like how i did the spindash tiles using tile molester.

4. ThomasThePencil

ThomasThePencil resident psycho Member

You actually don't need help. What you need is a magical little thing called effort.

Take from a guy who's been to the Wastelands and back: You shouldn't just ask for help with everything about Super Sonic. or any other subject for that matter.

Also, given this particular question's subject matter, I can bring up the usage of another magical little thing called the search bar. The question of porting Gold Sonic Super Sonic into Sonic 1 has been asked a multitude of times.

If I sound harsh at all, my sincerest apologies, but I can't help seeing people potentially follow in my past footsteps. Trust me, you wouldn't like what I've seen.

(Also, out of curiosity, why are you using Tile Molester? Wouldn't something like SonMapED or Retro Graphics Toolkit be a more versatile choice?)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2015
  5. Javier

OK i will try using SonMapED instead and try to put some effort into it.

6. DanielHall

DanielHall Well-Known Member Member

Like Selbi said, concentrate on the framework first: The artwork and palette cycling can wait until you have something working. 3-4 of those are complete no-brainers and perhaps maybe the ring loss code should be all you realistically need to look at when recreating the Super Sonic abilities.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2015
  7. Irixion

Irixion Well-Known Member Member

+1 Clap for the replies in this topic, and to boot, this guy actually WANTS to put effort in!

Basically what Selbi said. It's not too difficult once you figure out all the pieces. Work on them one by one. I'd do the animations and what not last.

8. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

Take the Invincible from Obj2E_ChkInvinc, the one needed is above the code that loads the stars object.

My opinion on Palcycle, not even I could get it to work. I went to Gamehacking for a set of PAR codes that changed sonic's palette, added them to macros, named each one Color1, color2, Color3 however DON'T MOVE.B #YELLOW,(COLOR1).W CAUSE IT'LL CRASH... till you push C which is no good. go with move.w #yellow,(Color1).w instead & skip one code down. there was a palette editor at the retro which gave correct palette to set. I think #$EEE is yellow

9. Javier

YES! I finally got the Palette cycle to work since it had to do with PalCycle_Load and had to add the SuperSonic code. I just only need the animations and i'm done.

10. ShadowOne

ShadowOne Newcomer Member

I'm really interested in implementing Super Sonic to ReadySonic's Sonic 1 Disassembly Hack to make it the ultimate Sonic 1 version. xD

11. Javier

Ok, here is the screenshot of the results

[​IMG]

The Rings counter drains to 1 just like in S2 and the palette also glows like Sonic 2 and he is also invisible. I just only need his animations which is the only thing I need help with.

12. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

you can use SonMapEd to load up Sonic 2's Art, Map, & Cues, switch to Sonic 1 mode & save them to Sonic 1 Disassembly, then take the SonicAnimate from Sonic 2 Disassembly & port it to sonic 1.

Hint - with the "+" this is like

Code1: cmpi.b #1,(whatever).w
                beq     Code2
                move.b #2,(whatever2).w
    Code2: move.b #3,(whatever2).w

this is an example for sonic 1

Code1: cmpi.b #1,(whatever).w
                beq     +
                move.b #2,(whatever2).w
    +           move.b #3,(whatever2).w

and this is an example of sonic 2, the only difference is code 2 is changed to + meaning next routine. a ++ means the routine after, - means previous routing, -- means the routine before that. (if -- even exists)

Edit: added quote

13. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

No. Porting S2's SonicAnimate will introduce potentially undesirable S2 features, such as the walking animation having an expected size of 8 frames, and the altered reaction to slopes. This might not be too bad if you're going for porting S2's entire player art and mappings, as you seem to be suggesting, but the focus is porting Super Sonic's art, not all S2 Sonic art, and, even then, you'd need to totally redo Sonic's animation scripts, and even the palette.

14. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    Honestly, I like the S2 art and sprites, so I'd go about and port the SonicAnimate from Sonic 2...., but only if you are going to use S2's art.

If not, just add in the cmpi checks for Super Sonic, and port those specific routines.

15. Irixion

Irixion Well-Known Member Member

In English...What they're basically saying is, port Sonic 2's art for Sonic over completely, along with all the animation routines... Glad you figured most of it out on your own. Nicely done!

16. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

Now that would really make the gameplay more unique and interesting, but I'm quite sure a proper Super Sonic should be visible.
    (I know, I know, I am sorry, I just couldn't resist)

17. Javier

Now that would really make the gameplay more unique and interesting, but I'm quite sure a proper Super Sonic should be visible.
    (I know, I know, I am sorry, I just couldn't resist)

I meant that Super Sonic has the invincibility that's what I meant.

18. Javier

I ported Sonic 2 arts completely to sonic 1 and it actually works. I have to completely change all of the animations from Sonic 1's to Sonic 2's.

19. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    Port over S2's animation scripts while you're at it. Literally, it is almost cut and paste. Save you a bunch if time as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2015
  20. Javier

Thanks for the tips I will try to use S1 Art if not then i'll use S2 art.

https://imgflip.com/gif/hrz8w

GIF is for the Sonic 1 Version im trying to make.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.