Updated Sonic 2 Nick Arcade disassembly

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Gardeguey, Sep 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gardeguey

Gardeguey Well-Known Member Member

Hello there, it's me again:

Sonic2Alpha_disasm_24sep12.zip

What's new?

• RAM Equates, all of them, except on unused and broken routines.

That's all for now, there's stuff that isn't incbin'd

hope you like it.

I think not much people is going to use this, stuff is broken but it's easily fixable by a decent hacker.

Attached Files:

2. Mike B Berry

Mike B Berry A grandiose return Member

Now I have a question. The tile system of GHZ is still converted to 128x128, Right? If that is the case, then the collision is still muffed. would you be able to provide a fixed collision file, Or would you consider it a waste of time?

3. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    Yes, it is converted into 128x128. I do believe the layout is fucked. SEGA, for some strange reason, decided it would be a great idea to create a new compression method that would never be used again.

Now, as far as the collision goes, there is a way to fix it, given that you have SOME understanding of ASM hacking.

As it is well known, GHZ is really just an over glorified leftover from Sonic 1. It was probably just used to test out the new layering(Path) system they created. Once it was completed and perfected, they left GHZ alone and moved on. Along with it, SEGA went off and created new collisions, moved PLC, ect, thus evident as GHZ hasn't been changed except for that one major change.

Now, GHZ still uses it's collision from Sonic 1. If you understand the way the collision system works, you can code in a simple exemption. Anytime the level is GHZ, it will instead load the old Sonic 1 collision. If you code that, and also add in the collision files, then you will be all good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.