"Waffle Lover": The Shitty Sonic Clone I'm Working On

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by Unlimited Trees, May 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unlimited Trees

Unlimited Trees Banned for being a fucking cockwomble Exiled

So a few weeks ago I posted a few screenshots of 2 projects: One being a (buggy) port of Emerald Hill Act 1, and another being a teaser of a Sonic clone I was working on. I said I would fully reveal the Sonic clone on May 8th (since it's one day before my birthday). Well, it's now May 8th, and it is time for me to reveal this project to this place.

What is a "Waffle Lover"?

[​IMG]

"Waffle Lover" is (supposed/going to be) a satirical Sonic clone which will not only try to duplicate Classic Sonic's physics, but also attack other Sonic clones and other platform games. Basically, think AVGN Adventures but with a wannabe Sonic character who goes fast for some fucking reason.

The other main goals of this game is to:
    -Use the power of PHYSICS to do things
    -Be fun. Probably. Maybe.
    -Have large levels which focus on physics puzzles, platforming, and exploration
    -Have waffles.

How will this shit play?

The main character will play similar to how Sonic does in the original games. However the main character can't roll (since she's not a hedgehog). They will instead have to use the power of their feet and their environment to do things.

The levels, as stated before, will be large. There would be 4 levels, three available at the start, and the last one will be unlocked later. The player could find weapons and items that are scattered around the area. With these items, they could fight the bosses which would be hidden somewhere in the level.

Also, the game (might) feature a day/night cycle. However, unlike Sonic Unleashed where it is just different levels and gameplay styles, during the level the time would change after a few minutes, not only making the level darker/brighter, but also by making small changes to the level design.

Another thing to note is that in these levels, there will be NPCs which you can talk to. They'll be optional, but they will say some very inappropriate things. (By the way! Warning! This game will be offensive! Scary!)

Why are you showing us this?

Well, this is Sonic related. And this is the Sonic Stuff Research Group. I also had no other place to show this at, since YouTube doesn't give a shit about me and I am too lazy to join any other Sonic-related website.

Show us the screenshots you loser.

[​IMG]Watch as Waffle Lover calls out this game for it's bullshit!
    [​IMG] Typical slope.
    [​IMG] Inventory. As of now, there are two items. You can get them by simply pressing "L" and then clicking on the icons in the boxes.
    [​IMG]
    Extremely bland, unfinished tiles.

Give us the god damn download.

Before you go downloading this, please understand that this is an EARLY ALPHA DEMO. This is just to show off what this game is going to play like. Also, before you play the game, AT LEAST LOOK AT THE FUCKING READ ME FILE.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zks7f7uf2o4l6er/WaffleLoverPreAlphaVer1Demo.zip?dl=0

If you're going to make a video, don't just send them the download link (I'm talking to you Razor). Send them here. Also, leave some parts of the READ ME in the description. Thank You.

Okay. Now that you guys are done reading that, you can now play the game so you can yell at me for how much it sucks.

P.S. I was going to release the EHZ1 port, but it was too buggy.

P.P.S. What if Sonic 2's levels were Pinball-iffied?

Credits:

Music: Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic CD, Sonic X-Treme (placeholder music)
    Construct 2 Sonic Physics Plugin: PixelMonkey
    Everything Else: Unlimited Trees

Attached Files:

2. JoenickROS

JoenickROS ROS (bug fixing in progress) Member

This would be better in the lounge, in my honest opinion (guess it doesn't matter either way, forgot the Chaos Layer was posted here and not in the lounge, and that wasn't Sonic related). Markey I was coming back to edit my post saying I was going to try it out later because I am not at my laptop currently, something came up, sorry. Anyway it looks Intresting so far a little bland but I'm sure you'll give it flare later on. I'll play it later and come back and give C&C.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
    MarkeyJester likes this.
  3. AbyssalLeopard

AbyssalLeopard Well-Known Member Member

In a way, I think it is related to Sonic since this project has got an engine which basically mimics the playstyle of the franchise's games.

As for the project itself, from the screenshots it looks interesting. I like what I see, but I have to agree with Joenick in the fact that you might want to add more things. Perhaps it was too early for a release? I'm not sure. Anyway, good luck with the project, you're heading towards the right path.

Unlimited Trees likes this.
  4. Unlimited Trees

Unlimited Trees Banned for being a fucking cockwomble Exiled

The reason the game's graphics is mostly bland is because:
    1.) I suck at art
    2.) Most of the art is stock art from the older versions of this game (a.k.a when this game wasn't a Sonic clone), and I didn't really focused on adding detail to the art.

I might change the art as much as I can, but I might have to ask for help since, as I stated, I suck at art.

Anyways, I'm glad the project looks interesting to you. I hope that it this project goes better than my previous project.

(By the way, the reason as to why this demo seems too early is because I wanted to release a demo by May 8th, one day before my birthday, however I only had such a short amount of time. I should have took more time so I could add more things, but because I want to hear SuperEgg yell at me, and plus the fact I wanted to present something "special" for my birthday, this exists.)

Welp. This is the end of my last trial post. See you next time when I get into huge trouble with the SSRG staff.

5. bluBird

bluBird Game Developer Member

I wish for the best, Unlimited Trees! As for the graphics for the level, I may be able to help with those.

EDIT: Oh no, he's been put into Limbo...

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  6. Sith

Sith Active Member Member

As a Belgian, I would have found a Sonic waffle game interesting. Belgian chocolate or fries -why on Earth are they called 'French' fries when it is clearly a Belgian and Dutch invention and delicacy- would have done the trick too. :p Oh wait; there already is Sonic with Fries. lol

@TmanDaCool1 As for the limbo; honestly I would have done the same thing, but that's just my personal opinion and I do not meddle in staff affairs. His language was a bit rude at times and when you go shouting "AT LEAST LOOK AT THE FUCKING READ ME FILE" among other things without cause then you will be frowned upon.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  7. pixelcat

pixelcat The Holy Cat Jr. Member

That's still sad he got sucked in Limbo, he had a lot of potential.

8. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

I'm locking this now, before the discussion completely derails.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.