Warning System Overhaul

Discussion in 'Site News' started by OrdosAlpha, Mar 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha RIGHT! Naebody move! Root Admin

As of yesterday, the forums now use a three lives warning system. Any member who loses two lives will be placed in the Reject group. Once in the Reject group you better shape up, or it's game over. Simple as that.

Members won't lose a life right off the bat for infringing any board rules, as we also utilise both verbal and friendly warnings.

Verbal warnings are official, and will be logged in your warn log, but won't effect your lives. A member will recieve a maximum of two verbal warnings per situation, continued infringement will result in the loss of a life.

Friendly warnings are unofficial, and won't be recorded in your warn log. Even though they're unofficial, they shouldn't be ignored as you'll only be given this type of warning once per situation, after which you'll recieve official verbal warnings for continued infringement.

All members will be notified via PM when they have received a verbal warning or lost a life, and the PM will state the reason for the warn or loss of a life. Friendly warnings will be made on the forums only.

It should be noted that any action taken by a member staff will depend on the rule infringed, on the situation in which the infringement occurred, and on the personality of the staff member.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2008
  2. Sephiroth

Sephiroth WHY SO CURIOUS?!? Member

That is definately an improvement over the old 10-strike rule. I would have been banned three times already if this system had already been put in place before I got here. =P

EDIT: When I say first got here I mean back in the old days, in about 05-06.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2008
  3. Ivy

Ivy Guest

IMO, it's a bit strict. There are always going to be "Minor" infractions. Of course, if warns were treated very seriously, it would be okay, but from the past few days I get the feeling the mods here really like to make every mis-step official.

Back when I ran Masters of Fackin' instead of issuing bans and warnings I appropriated a solution or tried to convince the person to stop doing it. For about a year I juggled a forum consisting heavily of users banned from other forums mostly just fine. I realise that the mods might not think they have time to do it, but if you have the right mods, it's pretty easy. I hope the "new" direction of SSRG is like this.

Remember the original Area51 didn't even have rules, and it's still yet to beat in terms of a Sonic Secrets/Research board.

Much like I said about parenting, it's not about being strict or liberal, it's about being good. Mods, IMO, should be closer to Psychologists than COPS. Therapy vs. Lobotomy.

I think right now more than anything this place needs activity. You can say OH WELL IF THEY DON'T AGREE WITH MY RULES THEN THEY WERE NO GOOD IN THE FIRST PLACE, etc., but that's oversimplification. I'm a good example of someone who both gets into trouble but also causes a lot of positive activity on boards. Sometimes you just have to swallow your previous idea of a forum and let people loose a little.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  4. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha RIGHT! Naebody move! Root Admin

*added more info on how warn system will work*

5. Sephiroth

Sephiroth WHY SO CURIOUS?!? Member

Similar to baseball, except with a friendly warning first.

Say, you got your friendly warning (say a tip from the coach about how to hit the ball, etc.) then you go up to bat. Then the two verbal warnings would be the first strikes, then the life loss would be an out. After three outs, your fucked.

Very effective system. I like it.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2008
  6. Ivy

Ivy Guest

OK that sounds a bit fairer now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.