Random hack/Mini project thread

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by DanielHall, May 24, 2010.

1. yami

yami the homing attack addict Member

While I'm not trying to knock your development hustle, if I remember correctly a "beta" is when the game is near complete state, not an early <1% progressed state like you've posted. In my personal opinion, I think you should at least knock out the basic bugs/issues in your hack before trying to post any beta builds anywhere, as those are usually made to try and find any last issues before a final release.

giovanni.gen likes this.
  2. Hame

Hame Peepee Poopoo Member

I was referring to the level design... Even so, I prefer to publish at least 1, so I listen to suggestions and try to add them.

3. lavagaming1

lavagaming1 Newcomer Trialist

now here is a rom hack i worked on so hard to the point i got burnt out and forgot about it i like to call it sonic 2 simon wai lava gaming ified

Attached Files:

4. Grosy

Grosy Romhacker + owns a mega drive 2 Member

I plan on fixing the bugs but I am going to leave it as is for now.

5. Grosy

Alright back at it again with a sonic 1 mini hack aiming the bad experience of an bootleg/atgames genesis console. (I made it set as PAL since I tried my friends bootleg genesis once and it was pal so yeah) changed every song to sound like atgames and the sega sound has been pitched up a bit (since the atgames clone does this for some odd reason) and yeah. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

6. FeroTheInugami

FeroTheInugami It's in the Blockchain Member

Ok, guys! SHC2023 is coming and I want to show a little piece of a still unfinished Sonic 1 ROM Hack I'm doing for it, which is a demo in beta phase. I called it, Sonic the Hedgehog: 1 Kai 改! (Demo/Beta Edition)

The intention was make a retro and nostalgic ROM Hack based on the older hacks made by some of the first legends of the community, like RHS, Pu7o and Nineko. But, it's also is focused on improve the first Sonic the Hedgehog from the 16-BIT Sega console Mega Drive (or Sega Genesis). Also, the 1 Kai is a namesake to Dragon Ball Kai (or Z Kai). I'm making other projects, but I'm focusing on this due to be my first ROM Hack, and I want to start very well.

Features:
    SCD Extended Camera by Nat the Porcupine
    Inproved Spin Dash*
    Super Peelout*
    Wall Jump*
    Chaotix Warm Palette*
    Sonic 2 Springs (including Diagonal Springs, not in game, but they're on the archive)
    7th Chaos Emerald by Speems;
    Smooth Rings (by Devon)
    New songs¨¨

*(thanks to Mercury)
    ¨¨ (thanks to VGMlist, Nineko, MainMemory, Clownacy and ValleyBell)

It features some bugs due to be a project still in production. It's a first test just to see if you people enjoyed. Other works coming soon.

Works on:
    Fusion (tested)
    Gens (S2 Level Select is a little bit glitched, but still works)

ReadySonic_000.png ReadySonic_001.png ReadySonic_002.png View attachment 5898 ReadySonic_004.png ReadySonic_005.png ReadySonic_012.png ReadySonic_014.png

Sonic The Hedgehog: 1 Kai 改

Creator:
    FeroTheInugami

Credits:
    Hivebrain (for the original Disassembly)
    Mercury (for Ready Sonic)
    Pu7o
    Tweaker
    Natsumi
    Ralakimus (or Devon)
    RetroKoH
    kramlat
    MarkeyJester
    RedHotSonic
    CrashMaHoney
    Clownacy
    Flamewing
    DelayHacks
    VladikComper
    MainMemory
    DeltaWoollo
    IsoKilo
    LuigiXHero
    Pacca
    CuckyDev
    Nineko
    Cinossu
    Giovanni
    Selbi
    Fragag
    TheInvisibleSun
    Puto
    Nat the Porcupine
    FraGag
    Lighting

Problems:
    Floor Bounce from Bubble Shield is WIP, so it's glitched up
    Not sync DAC samples in Sailor Moon's Stage 1 (Street) song
    Bugged PSG in Dragon Ball Z: Buyuu Retsuden song used (Stage/Battle - 5)
    And none DAC samples in Like a Wind from Revenge of Shinobi
    Devilsh Forest from Yu Yu Hakusho: Makyou Toitsusen is non functional, it causes the game to crash. The ID is 6E (EE)
    Mute SYZ Boss (should use Sonic 3 Miniboss theme)

(Again, thanks to ValleyBell and VGMList)

LEVEL LAYOUT DESIGNER WANTED: IF YOU WANT TO HELP, CONTACT ME. ;)

UPDATE 08/11/2023!!! SONIC 1 KAI

Despite the confusion I had before, I learned with my mistake and even I ported Super Sonic by the right way. Also, this version is a beta test, so it's unstable, because I was porting the Elemental Shields. So here we go again! The Sonic the Hedgehog Kai is back with new updates (unfinished, but still)

- Insta-Shield
    - Elemental Shield
    - Slope Collision Fix (by Devon/Ralakimus)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2023
  7. Devon

Devon I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me? Member

Just to let you know, this guy has had a history of lifting code from other hacks without permission many years ago, particularly with Sonic Megamix's leaked source code. Anything from him or asmtosegagenesis are generally frowned upon because of that. I do understand that it's not your intention to use stolen code and that you probably didn't know about that, but still.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2023
    giovanni.gen and DeltaWooloo like this.
  8. JGamer2151

JGamer2151 Well-Known Member/Lurker Member

I’m pretty sure he probably used source code from that god-forsaken Sonic Open Source Project that OuricoDoido did (if I’m not mistaken), if he did, then he must remove it immediately.

Back on topic, and this is saying to the creator of the hack, regarding the code for Super Sonic in your hack, you said you’ve credited OuricoDoido for that, but as Devon said earlier, he is known for stealing code from other hacks. Hacks containing stolen source code from other hacks are usually frowned upon in this community. So I suggest you should remove the offending code OuricoDoido did immediately and then start porting Super Sonic the right way without any stolen code. You should learn how to figure it out yourself if you want to port it the right way as all of us do. Just to let you know.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2023
  9. Devon

Devon I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me? Member

Hey now, let's chill for a bit, huh? There's really no need to get this antsy about it. Like I said, I don't think it was their intention to use any lifted code. Should it be removed out of respect for the original author(s)? Of course, but let's keep our cool here. All that stuff regarding the stolen code and open source project is over a decade old at this point and hasn't really been talked about in a very long time, so I think it's reasonable to assume they didn't know any better.

10. FeroTheInugami

Sorry about that! I didn’t meant to do this. I’m gonna port Super Sonic by the right way.

11. That-One-Mega-Man

That-One-Mega-Man Doofus Maximus Member

okay, quick question: i'm not using the code from open source, but a few of the song ports from s2-3k found in it, what's the general consensus on that?

12. FeroTheInugami

Actually, yes. Some of the songs were originally from Nineko's SMPS Packs, and some of the Sonic songs I replaced with asm ones. But I don't know if this can be considered stolen. The Super Sonic codes itself were actually stolen and that's why I deleted it. Sorry for the inconvenience and I promise this won't happen ever again. I even removed Super Sonic from the game. Actually, I was thinking in cancelling this and make another project more original. This unfished one is more generic, and I was making it since 2019, but I gave up several times.

13. That-One-Mega-Man

That-One-Mega-Man Doofus Maximus Member

well, i mean if there's people to properly credit for the sonic 2-3k ports then ill credit them
    besides i already have the nineko pack

14. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

I already stated this in the past, but I can go on record one more time: I released most of my smps songs to the public, so you're free to use them as much as you want, I just like to receive a line of credit, which you did. Songs I converted with the help of other people (usually Puto and/or Tweaker) should be credited accordingly, a famous example being Bridge Zone, which I converted with Puto.

Please note, however, that you can't extract a song I specifically made for someone else's hack from a ROM without the permission of said hack's creator, if I didn't release the smps binary of that song. While I don't really care either way, they might not be ok with that.

Please also note that I'm not saying that you did something wrong; in fact, I didn't even check your hack yet (and I apparently can't do that, because you removed the download link), though I look forward to do so, because it sounds promising! I just wanted to reassure you that most of my songs are indeed free to use, unlike what transpired from the posts above regarding the Super Sonic code.

15. JGamer2151

Oh, my bad, I was just being kind of in my feelings about how if stolen code was in someone’s jack even if’s a decade old by someone who was known for doing those kinds of things, then it’s still frowned upon.

Still, just wanted to have my opinions about it.

16. JGamer2151

(Double-post)

In regards to about using music from people that aren’t comfortable with sharing their works to the public, I feel a bit concerned about that considering I’ve used some songs from other hacks into my hack without the creators and composers' permission, which basically counts as stealing; especially if the music binaries from those hacks are not made to the public even if the original authors are properly credited. And to make matters worse, I’ve used SMPS Extract to do those things, where I take a S1 hack that had music made specifically for the hack and extract it via the tool with the pointers I had to find myself in the ROM to get those musics.

I’m sure all of you know what I’m talking about, and I can assure you that I have some regrets about that, since I basically used music from other hacks without their permission, even if I gave proper credit to them. Not gonna lie to you, but some of the music of those hacks sounds really good to me, and it’s a big mistake that I used those songs in my hack just because they sounded very good to me.

Because of this, I’m gonna have to remove the offending musics from my hacks and replace them with my own compositions/rearrangements or free-to-use replacements for my hacks. I understand that composing and rearranging music for my hacks can be a bit time consuming, especially if I wanted to get it sound right for me like the ones I’ve heard from other hacks. I am a sucker for SMPS/Sound-Source music composition and rearrangements myself, seeing that I’ve heard really good remixes and arrangements of music from other games in the SMPS format for their hacks and I wanted to see it for myself when I started hacking Sonic games 7 years ago.

I apologize for the long writeup.

And now that I think about it, it seems like to me SMPS Extract is gonna get banned for using it this way and now I’m getting concerned about the tool's usage of extracting music from hacks that people wouldn’t realize that they weren’t comfortable with sharing them to the public…

17. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

By the way, if anyone is looking for more music, most of the songs from the SMPS music competition are technically free to use, though asking the composers in advance is still a nice practice.

TheInvisibleSun and JGamer2151 like this.
  18. MDTravis

MDTravis Local Prototyper Member

SONIC WITHOUT CLACKERS

Looking for a good Crackers experience?
    Annoyed with Tails pulling you back all the time?
    Find the level too hard to get through?

Well, look no further than me taking Sonic and Tails' clacker privileges away!

Features:
    • True 1-player gameplay within Sonic Crackers
    • The second player no longer spawns with the first player
    • The player character can be selected from the title screen
    ...and that's it! In reality, this is just me screwing around with Crackers, so there's nothing really special about this. Enjoy the non-Naka physics!

Attached Files:

19. RobiWanKenobi

RobiWanKenobi Python Developer and ASM enthusiast Member

upload_2023-8-4_6-55-2.png

Clacker Alert!

to be honest, this is a cool project, and Non-Naka physics are weird.

20. Grosy

This is the crackers rom hack of all time. Thats all I will say.