Random hack/Mini project thread

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by DanielHall, May 24, 2010.

1. FeroTheInugami

FeroTheInugami It's in the Blockchain Member

UPDATE 08/11/2023!!! SONIC 1 KAI

Despite the confusion I had before, I learned with my mistake and even I ported Super Sonic by the right way. Also, this version is a beta test, so it's unstable, because I was porting the Elemental Shields. So here we go again! The Sonic the Hedgehog Kai is back with new updates (unfinished, but still)

- Insta-Shield
    - Elemental Shield
    - Slope Collision Fix (by Devon/Ralakimus)

NOTE FOR HELP WANTED: Level Design needed.
    Edit: Wait... I think I don't need to make a second post to that! Trash This

Attached Files:

JGamer2151 likes this.
  2. FeroTheInugami

FeroTheInugami It's in the Blockchain Member

Ok, after the flop of my first project, I decided to make something basic and simple, but still just for fun.
    S3K Sonic in Sonic 1 Hack Test!
    Yes, i know you guys will say "There's already hacks like this" but this is "more polished". There's bugs? Yes. But I tried my best doing this little project myself and basing on Clownacy's projects. The rest I done from my memory and from what I learnt, even I took days to recreate E-122 Psi's Sonic's good ending sprites taken from Sonic Classic Heroes, because I didn't found it anywhere (still credits to him, thanks fella ;D ). I made everything having the knowledge of Sonic 1 and Sonic 3's source code which I studied for years, that's because many Sonic 3 functions like edge balancing are here, because I associated all of them changing to their equivalent. Now, i'm making from the original Sonic 1 and using AS branch. I took a week of work and there it is. This is not the final project yet, it is just the base of a future project. Keep waiting, because there is still more to come!

Thanks to:
    Clownacy (S3 Sprites, Elemental Shields and S2 Clone Driver)
    DeltaWooloo (Elemental Shields)
    SuperEgg (optimizing Shield and Invincibility sprites)
    E-122-Psi (SCHeroes' S1 Ending sprites, I reconstructed them because I didn't found, but the original ones were made by him)
    Vladikcomper (S3 other sprites)
    Flamewing (S3K & S3D Music)

And, yes. I done some DAC remixes, adding Cymbals to the songs, and etc, based on DeltaWooloo's ASIA.

Another ROM was added, with Sonic 3D Blast music.

Dedicated to DeltaWooloo (sorry for spelling your name wrong, before), to his severe and critical review about my hack S1 Kai, that I learned that to make a ROM Hack, it's not just copy and paste, you just need to DIY, without any help, showing your skills in programming. Thank you!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2023
  3. DeltaWooloo

DeltaWooloo The noob next door Member

I am flattered by you crediting me twice; though I'll say it again, this hack isn't really special. I commend you for the sprite and music changes but that's it, it's very barebones and needs a good amount of changes put into it to warrant a release.

And speaking of that, given your past messages here, if I were to give you a tip, try and reduce the amount of ROMs you send and rather send something that has a lot of effort put into it that you've done yourself. I feel as what you sent is a little too early to even post it here and would recommend you give it some more time for you to make a good amount of changes. It'll definitely save the stress for you in the foreseeable future.

The next ROM I hope to see should have a good amount of changes into it rather than being a base (i.e. level design, palette swaps, perhaps custom music?), it's good that you have one, though it doesn't stick out as much as previous projects sent on this thread.

Crimson Neo likes this.
  4. MDTravis

MDTravis Local Prototyper Member

In Super Mario World, occasionally your maximum speed fluctuates between a small value. Don't think that changes the gameplay experience much? Well, what if this was in Sonic 1, and it was intensified?
    Introducing, Sonic the Hedgehog: Random Speed Edition
    In this minihack, Sonic's maximum speed and acceleration are randomized every second, between what you have when underwater and what you have with speed shoes. As an addition, you're 2x slower when underwater, which is still randomized. :)

Features:

• Random speed every second, values ranging between underwater and speed shoes.
    • Random acceleration every second, values ranging between underwater and speed shoes.
    • Sonic 2 spike behavior, as some sections were made increasingly difficult with the changed speed, especially when slow.
    • Randomized speed + acceleration divided in half when underwater.
    • No more speed shoes!
    Credits:
    • MDTravis (founder, main programmer, testing)
    • Naoto (programming assistance, better RNG code)
    • KGL (assistance and testing)
    • ProjectFM (testing)
    Enjoy yet another minihack from me!

Attached Files:

ProjectFM, Hame, Filter and 5 others like this.
  5. Hame

Hame Peepee Poopoo Member

a quite interesting hack, in labyrinth zone I got a crash, I was playing with blastem

6. MDTravis

What kind of error was it? I thought I'd iron out all the LZ issues, but I've never encountered a crash.

7. JGamer2151

JGamer2151 Well-Known Member/Lurker Member

I tested this on real hardware, and got the same result. Here’s the photo:

IMG_0615.jpeg

However, I pressed C two times and it went normally. This was at the end of the zone.

There was probably was a minor bug in something.

EDIT: It seems to happen on the rare occasion that I playtested this zone, as it also crashed on Act 2 of Labyrinth when trying to see it would crash in the end of the level by debug mode, and it crashed almost immediately after I moved from my starting point when entering in debug mode. It still worked afterwards and I was able to reach the end of the level via debug mode, although I didn’t get that same crash at the end as I had before with my run of Labyrinth Act 1.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2023
  8. MDTravis

How far can I go with level porting? Well, no Ristar yet, but here's a Sonic 2 level in Sonic Crackers!
    No ROM yet, I have to polish up collision. Until then, have a video.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2023
    AsuharaMoon and DeltaWooloo like this.
  9. That-One-Mega-Man

That-One-Mega-Man Doofus Maximus Member

another dumb thing ive been working on
    not much talk of mods compared to hacks in this thread and i dont know how much ppl talk about it on this site in general, but heres a sonic 3 a.i.r. thing im doin inspired by the Cooler Sonic Mania mod
    cooler air preview image 1.png cooler air preview image 2.png cooler air preview image 3.png
    its not the best and it will probably be rough around the edges when v1 comes out n stuff
    but its just a for fun project, nothing to be taken super-seriously just thought id share it

PsychoSk8r and Nik Pi like this.
  10. Grosy

Grosy Romhacker + owns a mega drive 2 Member

Well, back with this hack again. I did some more sound effects and fixed up alot of tracks and it sounds much more accurate now.

Attached Files:

Nik Pi likes this.
  11. Grosy

Well, back with this hack again. I did some more sound effects and fixed up alot of tracks and it sounds much more accurate now.

12. Grosy

oops double post please trash it

Nik Pi likes this.
  13. RocketRobz

RocketRobz Coolest of TWL, and Sonic fan Member

This is v2 of the Sega CD USA BIOS running from within a CD. This allows you to play the BIOS animation from a CD on any console, no matter the region. Due to some bugs, other areas are not accessible.
    Made back in January of 2021 (with a recent fix for EUR/PAL region added), and would not be possible without DarkMorford's BIOS disassembly. Because this is the only version disassembled, no other versions are planned.

Download the patch here, and apply it to v2.00W of the BIOS file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ay7IQeuXlLyG7R4FYCwQRPDgBGLBGIOu/view?usp=sharing
    Patches for USA, EUR, and JPN regions are included.

Tested on Genesis Plus GX via RetroArch. Has not been tested on real hardware.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2023
  14. MDTravis

The hack has been updated to include a countdown timer. Enjoy the challenge!

Attached Files:

Hame and DeltaWooloo like this.
  15. Tarekboushi

Tarekboushi Newcomer Trialist

man ghz fucks itself when i enter from level select
    upload_2023-12-6_20-24-39.png

16. Catswell

Catswell Plushy lazy cat Member

Bliss Castle Zone

Remake of “Sky Castle Zone” from my old hack “Catswell’s Edition” (2018, watch “Additional content” for more information).
    It have custom level art and Marble-a-like level design, but less blocky and more speedy, which should resemble more of a Sonic level in traditional sense for most of Sonic fans. It uses MZ gimmicks all way to the top, unfortunately without any custom gimmicks or badniks. I wanted this art to be dreamy and clean
    Also you can (and NEED) to use Spin Dash and Air Roll!

All emulators for this hack should work fine (Tested on BizHawk, Regen, Kega Fusion).

This hack made specifically for Sonic Level Design Contest on SHC Discord Server.

• Sometimes collision can be wonky due to Sonic 1 engine and I don’t have much time to redo whole collision system or to import/export to another one
    • Same with rings/objects (though it shouldn’t be too much of a problem, as source code have rings as separate thing instead of being an object as in original game, thanks to TheBlad768).
    • Some level design are made in purpose to have more platforming instead of speed. I don’t to be that faithful to Sonic level design and wanted to be more creative instead of “route upwards is the fastest way” and etc.
    • Some unfair moments in level design. I’m a strange person to be around.
    • Soft reset comes up from checkpoint. Hard reset to begin from level’s start instead.
    • TheBlad768 - Main code help (Obj45 fix, S3K ring manager import, minor fixes, consultation), support, beta testing
    • XBRO - music
    • VladislavSavvateev - additional code help (Start on GameMode instead of SegaScreen)
    Beta testing:
    pixelcat; NeoNote; Zakku; srd21
    • DeltaWooloo - tutorials for changing level card layout and S3K-a-like fade for got-through music
    • Giovanni - tutorial for vertical speed cap
    • Selbi - caterkiller fix tutorial
    • Devon - collision fix tutorial
    • vladikcomper - S1 2005 disassembler (changed Hivebrain's disasm)
    blisscastlezone sldc.2023-12-08 18.27.42.png blisscastlezone sldc.2023-12-08 18.27.50.png blisscastlezone sldc.2023-12-08 18.25.25.png blisscastlezone sldc.2023-12-08 18.26.35.png blisscastlezone sldc.2023-12-08 18.27.05.png blisscastlezone sldc.2023-12-08 18.27.26.png

Attached Files:

17. Tarekboushi

Tarekboushi Newcomer Trialist

great easter egg
    upload_2023-12-9_9-31-7.png

18. Thiago REzEnDe

Thiago REzEnDe Newcomer Trialist

upload_2023-12-10_18-2-51.png
    some sonic 1 proto hack ive been working on(DISCLAIMER:The hack is not finished yet so some things may look wrong.) upload_2023-12-10_18-3-49.png upload_2023-12-10_18-5-50.png upload_2023-12-10_18-6-38.png upload_2023-12-10_18-7-9.png
    also credits to KostyaTheGameFox & thelilcoin for the emblem and sonic 2 hud font.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2023
  19. Grosy

Hi people, back with a new rom hack Sonic 3 Over 9000! Credits to:EditChris for making sonic 1 over 9000 (thats how this hack got its name)
    Known bugs:
    You have to enter water when playing as tails and exit it to play with a fast speed.
    Have fun playing this

Attached Files:

20. EditChris

EditChris STH:DB - Someday... Member

Oh hello! Looks like you made something beautiful again. Thanks to you the trilogy is now complete, congratulations! But now I have a question for you...
    Will you continue in your quest to make everything go Over 9000? If so, what would be the next step? Knuckles' Chaotix: Over 9000? Sonic 3D Blast: Over 9000? Dare I say... Sonic 4 Episode I Over 9000? (This last one would be really funny actually)

Thanks for not letting the things I created to be forgotten in time. Very fun little hack, keep it up!