Sonic 3&K Level Editor

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Jami393, May 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jami393

Jami393 Active Member Member

Right I know SonED 2 is for Sonic 1 and 2, but does anyone know any easy level editors for Sonic 3&K please. Also I've tried Esrael Sonic Editor, and didn't like it.

2. Mystic

Mystic If your reading this u lost 13.5% of your brain Member

Ummm..... Good Point why arent there any good level editors for S3&K... Proprably the lock on freature makes it hard for certain level editors read certian stuff

3. amphobius

amphobius spreader of the pink text Member

SonED. It requires the standard S3K ROM, and a savestate of the level. It's a very good editor, allough I'm much more used to SonED2.

4. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

As Dalek said, use SonED. SonED 2 is much better, but because it's using project files, you can't use it for S3K.

Oh, even you can edit palettes and stuff, S3K is a bad game to learn hacking. You should start with Sonic 1 or 2, or will get something like this (no offensive SonicVaan). But it's your decission.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2009
  5. SonicVaan

SonicVaan I'm a cyberpunk with a taste for guns Member

*cough*

However, I started with S3K, because it was more fun to hack. You have more levels to edit, you can edit special stages very easy, etc. (ESEII)

I prefer S3K but... yeah, your decision.

6. Selbi

Ooops, I forgot to add something. Post edited. =P

7. Qjimbo

Qjimbo Well-Known Member Member

From what I've heard SonED 2 *is* capable of editing Sonic 3 levels, it just requires everything to be split out and a project file created. Irixion got it working some time ago... it's something I've been meaning to cover on the site.

Bare in mind this feature isn't supported officially by Stealth, so don't complain when stuff doesn't work right.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2009
  8. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

Let's put this straight. SonED2 can edit Sonic 3 & Knuckles levels, but they don't want you to know that. The good thing is that, on ssrg, this post can't be deleted :)

9. Qjimbo

lol, why did Stealth add a feature if he didn't want people to use it? =/

10. Mystic

Mystic If your reading this u lost 13.5% of your brain Member

Maybe he wanted to see if some random person would ask something like this, "Dude, Why didnt u add a S3&k editing freature"

11. Sephiroth

Sephiroth WHY SO CURIOUS?!? Member

Or he wanted us to figure it out ourselves, which isn't that hard.

It basically runs similarly to SonEd, so it should work.

Plus, ever thought of using Esraels ASM Level Editor? No one has made a decent disasm that can be used yet, but still.

12. snkenjoi

snkenjoi Well-Known Member Member

Facepalm.

13. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha RIGHT! Naebody move! Root Admin

Editing Sonic 3 levels in SonED2 is a piece of piss, if you're willing to put the effort in. By effort I mean decompress & extract all the required data and create your own project files.

14. Tweaker

Tweaker OI! MIRON! Member

Uh... you know, maybe he didn't publicize such a thing because the support isn't complete? You guys can keep being pricks and act like it's done, though--then you'll have a reason to scapegoat him and bitch about how his support isn't proper!

I don't know if you've ever heard of a work in progress, but that's exactly what that editing support was--a work in progress. It was not made public because it was not ready to be public, and your posting of it regardless in an attempt to seem helpful to others is, in fact, being counter productive; instead of giving others a solid, reliable means through which to edit Sonic 3 levels, you're coaxing them into attempting to use a program's unpublicized, incomplete, and potentially unstable support--which I again stress was not meant to be public--which may deliver them unfavorable results, resulting in them potentially complaining and slandering a program on a completely invalid basis.

What's your incentive? It's not like you somehow deserve Sonic 3 editing support in a program that is not open source and not written by yourself. Why would you publicize information which is clearly against the creator's wishes? Are you trying to deter him from making future releases? It doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2009
  15. Jami393

Right then the thing I want to know is, if you can edit Sonic 3 or S3K with Stelth's SonED 2, how would you be able to split it. Would it be with the same split.bat like in in Qjimbo's video tutorials for SonEd.

16. Selbi

There are no Split disassemblies for S3 or S3K, yet. Well, there is an ASM text file of SK. But you can't open it in SonED or any other editors. And it's actually for the tech members of the scene, or guys, with lot of ASM knowledge. But if you still have interests, here's the link: Click me

17. Jami393

OK thanks for the link Selbi, it's to bad you can't open it with any of the editors.

18. Qjimbo

Tweaker, I honestly had no idea that it wasn't complete, I was just going by what people had said. I also didn't know that mentioning a feature that was compiled into the program was somehow against his wishes... seems a bit dumb to be honest. It's really not hard to put some /* */'s around the code in question. People were bound to find out eventually.

Regardless, I'll edit my posts to make it clearer the feature is unsupported.

19. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Nice elitism there, you don't have to be a tech member to do shit with S3K, hell even I changed some stuff in the disassembly.
    No wonder people have a negative opinion on the SSRG, with people like you.

20. Selbi

And don't tell me, these guys can do shit like Stealth. I don't have a problem with newbies. I only said, they shouldn't with start with S3K.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.