Sonic Overload

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by derpywerpy, Mar 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. derpywerpy

derpywerpy Newcomer Trialist

Im working on a hack for sonic 2. The topic title says it's name.......

I need help with editing music and also with changing the background and the zone design for the replacement for Emerald Hill.........Icy Paradise..........I also need help with the other level designs.

I have 2 screenshots of the zone. One of them show the development so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It also has a neat story........

Sonic has come back from his vacation on Angel Island......theres a disturbance........Animals running around screaming! "Help!" Sonic is puzzled........"Why are these animals screaming?" Says Sonic.

"Im not sure......but I have a feeling Eggman has something to do with this" Replied Tails.

"Well Sonic.......we meet again......." Someone had said something.....

"Who are you and how do you know my name?!" Said Sonic.

"You remember me......" Said the mysterious person as they hovered over the land in the EggMobile....

"Its Eggman!" Shouted Tails.

"I would catch up....but I have more important things to attend!" Said Doctor Eggman.

"I'll not let you get away with this Baldy McNosehair!" Shouted Sonic.

Eggman then flew off in his EggMobile cackling.

An animal comes over to Sonic and says "Please Sonic....You have to help us!"

Sonic then said. "Ok"

Sonic then zoomed off on his adventure with tails following.......this adventure doesnt rely on fancy new moves......but with some old Sidescrolling moves.

If I manage to release the 1st release ever.....(Hopefully) I then will be able to credit the Helpers

EDIT MARCH 27 2014:

Release 1 is out! https://www.dropbox.com/s/4fakwrntdw4nsmu/Sonic%20Overload%201.0.zip

No one helped me with the 1st release.......

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2014
  2. derpywerpy

I forgot to mention that the only level that doesn't need help with design is Space Fortress.....which is the final zone!

~Derpywerpy

3. Irixion

Irixion Well-Known Member Member

You wasted a screen shot on a Title Card...how festive. Your Emerald Hill zone screenshot doesn't look like it has any interesting aspects to it. Mix it up, show the best parts. Make it fun. And don't have any broken chunks. Also at this point 99% of people don't give a single fuck about a storyline until your hack is near completion anyway.

4. derpywerpy

There are not any good parts about Icy Paradise zone......yet.........I'm going to release Version 1.0 of Sonic Overload as soon as possible........If you make it to the last stage you will be happy with the design

5. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

This is probably the best hack I've seen this month. Well done!

6. derpywerpy

Thank  you :D

The first time someone actually compliments sonic overload.................Im surprised no one has volunteered to help..........

7. derpywerpy

I have forgotten how many posts I have left 0_o

8. TheStoneBanana

TheStoneBanana banana Member

[​IMG]

You sir, are the greatest hacker this site has seen, by far. Amazing work. The development looks to be going pretty good as well, with the edited title card and the plain old Emerald Hill Zone. Way past cool, bro.

Also, you have 15 posts left, at the time of this reply. Then after you reply, it'll be 14! Then 13! Then 12! And 11! And 10! And so on. If you can do math, that is.

[​IMG]

9. StephenUK

StephenUK Working on a Quackshot disassembly Member

Just a heads up to the sarcastic ones who think they're funny, I will trash your posts and slap a nice warning on you if it continues. I'm sick of seeing it around here lately and my sole purpose in life isn't to police your stupidity. Consider this a friendly warning, you either play fair in someones topic or you say nothing.

10. TheStoneBanana

TheStoneBanana banana Member

Welp, I'm one of the sarcastic ones I suppose. I guess I'm not allowed to be sarcastic (like someone in Staff, might I add), and try to mix things up? OK, serious mode I go...

Honestly, I thought this was a joke. This post, this guy, just a joke. Early April Fools joke, I suppose. Why? Well, let me quote some things, and I'll give my honest, non sarcastic comments.

If there aren't any good parts of Icy Paradise Zone, that's okay, but why show the title card? Also, make it good. Don't rush it out. This is a problem that is pretty common with new hackers. They think they're gonna be like the next MarkeyJester, or something, in 5 minutes. Not gonna happen, dude.

Thank  you :D

The first time someone actually compliments sonic overload.................Im surprised no one has volunteered to help..........

-.-

No comment.

Seriously? Seriously. Now, you can't tell me you're serious. You forget how many posts you have left? *sigh*

So, really, I do feel this is a joke. Just my two cents. :p

11. StephenUK

StephenUK Working on a Quackshot disassembly Member

My comments didn't just apply to you, and don't just apply to members. Staff are also expected to set an example and the last thing I need is people jumping on the bandwagon because a staff member did something. As for the posts made by this member, I've seen a lot worse that wasn't a joke so I make no assumptions.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2014
  12. derpywerpy

Everyone calm down its my "little hack" that is hiding in a box of work for me to finish.........................Seriously though someone please help me :(

13. derpywerpy

It is festive......

14. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun Visible Member

What's the rush? As stated before, there is no absolutely no use in rushing some sort of release, when all you've changed so far (assuming from what you've shown) is a name on a single title card; I don't see any real difference in Emerald Hill in that screenshot.

You should have a concept, or an idea behind your hack. Why exactly is it called Sonic Overload? What is the goal behind the hack? What makes your project unique? These are questions you need to be able to have an answer for in order to have a successful hack. At the moment, you don't have anything showing an answer to any of these things. 

No one will help you with your project in its current state. You need to not only learn much more about the goals for your project, but you also need to learn much more about Sonic 2 Hacking in general. Honestly, you haven't shown anything worth joining in on. Why should anyone help with your project if you haven't taken the time to even learn how to do the things you want for your hack? All of the things you want others to do for you are not only extremely well documented, but also feasible to do alone. There is a plethora of resources available here as well as on the Sonic Retro Wiki, that you can utilize and benefit from.

Also, if I were you, I would set the story, title and this very thread aside for now and really focus on learning, and making something interesting in-game, be it completely new art/music, or some new gimmick/game play change. This way, your title and story can be relevant to what happens in-game, and you can have something people will find fun or interesting. Personally, I think you should experiment, play around with, and really understand what your working with before you even announce anything.

Good Luck!

15. Painto

Painto Arthurus Paintus Erinaceus Member

I played this, and I noticed that you changed only the beginning of EHZ (or IPZ in this hack) and the palette of title card which is overwritten by the EHZ pallet. Nothing more. You should change more things before releasing or even announcing something (for example layout for one or two acts). Also, why this is called Sonic Overload?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2014
  16. derpywerpy

I actually have no idea why its called sonic overload.

Id also like to thank TheInvisibleSun for giving me that boost of confidence :biggrin:   Its also nice to know that someone has actually played the hack!

I also thank StephenUK for sorting out all the sarcastic people......Sarcasm is not nice especially to trialists like me

I hope that when I have ideas I don't end up like this guy!

------------------------------->  :banghead:

Im using ESEII and ESEI at the moment..............

EDIT: Ok DAGarden. Also am I late on saying congrats for getting a staff rank? If not then congrats!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2014
  17. derpywerpy

Pallete for some zones changed....still need ideas for design...................So far Theres a hole that tricks you into suicide

Once again no one volunteered to help......Version 01 is just a release for some people to try.....I'm planning on the second release to come with a sonic 3 & knuckles hack that Im planning called Sonic Overload 2 (I'm not using Sonic 1 at all)

EDIT: Sonic Overload 2 Has been cancelled and I might even cancel Sonic Overload

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2014
  18. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden Sonic CD's Sound Test Member

Could you please refrain from double-posting? It'd be more appropriate to use the Edit button, especially as your a trialist and so your posts are limited.

19. Devon

Devon A̸ ̴S̴ ̵C̵ ̷E̶ ̸N̸ ̴D̶ ̵E̶ ̸D̶ Member

Your hack is nothing more than Sonic 2 with minor edits (A few chunks changed in a few levels, title cards changed, level select text changed, 1 small palette edit).  Please don't release something like this. Sonic 2 is fun and all, but I can get bored by playing the same levels over and over. When you have made many major edits, you can release it. Also, I suggest that you get a disassembly. There are less limitations than in just hex-editing/ESE II. You can add many new things and fix many things as well. You can google "sonic disassemblies" and go to the Sonic Retro link.

There are many tutorials on Sonic Retro and here, as well as a 68000 Assembly tutorial on Sonic Retro, which is what you'll need to know in order to know what you are doing when editing the assembly code. The tutorials cover art, music and assembly editing. There are also many tools such as SonEd 2 (level, chunk, block and tile editing) and SonMapEd (art and mappings editor).

I suggest starting with the Sonic 1 disassembly (Hivebrain ASM68k or AS version) and learn from that. Once you're ready, you can move on to different disassemblies.

20. derpywerpy

Im shutting down the sonic overload project for a time period but I have released Sonic Overload 1.1

www.dropbox.com/s/apc0h5789n5sxq0/Sonic%20Overload%201.1.zip

Derpy out

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.