Sonic the Hedgehog : Reversal Revisit

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by beanDude, Aug 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beanDude

beanDude Well-Known Member Member

HEEEEEEEEEEEEYAAAAAA!!!! What's up, fellow Sonic hackers?

Well, for those of you that have been on this site within the last few months, you've probably seen quite a lot of help-related questions coming from me concerning "my hack". Although I've been continually mentioning this hack of Sonic 1, which I began working on around June, I have, in fact, released no screenshots, videos, documentation on the "Showcase" page, or anything else that introduces my hack or gives light to it's existence or development. I've been floating around the "Discussion Q&A" page, while you've probably wondered "What the heck is this guy up to???"

________________________________________________________________________________

What is the name of my hack, you ask?

The hack's official (as in I, beanDude, have created it), Beta-released name is:

Sonic the Hedgehog: Reversal Revisit

...Although I recently thought of this name, I will more than likely change it before the final release (to something that doesn't suck so much).

Listed below are the Zone names in their proper order of appearance. Before questions are asked, please note that quite a few of the Zones listed are less than three Acts in length, and that this hack contains the same number of levels as the original Sonic the Hedgehog.

ZONE BREAKDOWN

- SHINING SPIRE ZONE

- CITY SPIRE ZONE

- MARBLE TERRACE ZONE

- MARBLE RUIN ZONE

- MARBLE TEMPLE ZONE

- DEEP CANAL ZONE

- PURPLE PALACE ZONE

- GREEN GATE ZONE

- EGG SIDE ZONE

- EGG PLANT ZONE

- EGG BASE ZONE

________________________________________________________________________________

This hack is hopefully going to reach the level of being good enough for a full release, but with a newbie hacker such as me at the wheel, things may take a while. In the meantime, I will continue to update this thread, as well as occasionally upload some footage to YouTube. Check out my first official footage release now!!!

I hope the anticipation burns strong! ...Or at least somewhat strong!

Later. :eek:

2. Rydia3667

Rydia3667 Guest

Wow, this looks great.

3. RatedRStarr

RatedRStarr Rated R Superstar Member

Yo, can you post some screens and give some update to what is in your hack. Like is there level layouts, palette changes, music, characters etc... Is it a sonic 1,2,3 hack?

4. Kain

Kain Well-Known Member Member

What are you on about? Nothing in this hack is remarkable at all. People really should put more work into things before releasing videos to the public, as it stands if this hack doesn't fade into the dredge of other crap hacks I will be entirely surprised.

5. beanDude

WOW. It's on.

...I mean, IT'S ON, MAN! You've only witnessed a small video clip of an EXTREMELY early version of my hack... and yet you assume that every piece of it consists of brainless modification? BE PREPARED FOR A NICE LITTLE SURPRISE WITH THE FINAL RELEASE!!! HEHEH!!!

FINE! I WILL POST SOME SCREENSHOTS SHORTLY!!

...In the meantime, I must admit that my modified version of GHZ is not the hack's highlight. I'd safely say that almost every level I've designed so far is in need of tremendous amounts of work...

...HOWEVER, I have high quality standards, and there is no way that my final product will smell like ass.

HACK UPDATE!!!

-As of now, the design process has been expanded beyond the number of levels that exist in Sonic 1. I have made this decision for purposes of entertainment value, as well as the hack being in need of a better difficulty curve. I am fairly certain that the level seen in my video is not going to be the first level in the final release of my hack. This idea is debatable on later Zones, such as the hacked levels of the Marble Zone, which standing alone, progress thematically. Another reason for the process of designing extra levels is for an extension of the game's ending - I'm trying to implement some cool stuff such as boss rematches and extra areas.

6. RatedRStarr

RatedRStarr Rated R Superstar Member

If this is an "extremely" early version can you post another video or some screens because it wouldn't make sense to give the public and very older build, they will criticize you on this broken, then you tell them its very old.

7. iojnekns

iojnekns OBAMA '012!!!!1!!!!!&#33 Member

I fucking love your attitude beanDude. I hope you can walk the walk after talking that talk.

8. beanDude

That's exactly what I intend to do, even if it's a long and painful walk. I've come a long way in my hacking knowledge after a short time period, and don't see a reason to stop the flow of my learning...

9. beanDude

HEY! GUESS WHAT!?

SCREENSHOTS!!! Here you go; you really wanted this, right?

The following screenshots are mostly taken for the purpose of showing how the "look development" is coming along. All levels will feature edited palletes, with the exception of Green Gate Zone Act 1 and 2 (formerly SLZ 2 and 3), and possibly more. Another thing to note is that the different Acts of the former Scrap Brain (now separate Zones) will feature different looks (as opposed to them all featuring that of my only screenshot of that Zone).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The image above is not an example of bad object placement; the block was falling into the lava (already pushed by Sonic).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2009
  10. amphobius

amphobius spreader of the pink text Member

...you really need to learn how to make a good looking pallete.

Also, gg on fucking up GHZ's background.

11. STE

STE Everybody! Everybody! Member

Really, really bad. Maybe you should've done more work on this before you even posted it?

Also, are you using a Split Dissasembly, or editing it straight from the ROM with an ESE tool?

Also, those palletes are really hurting my eyes. BAD.

EDIT: Looks like your colourblind or something... Are you? I'm not being rude or anything.

12. Tongara

Tongara Well-Known Member Exiled

You didn't walk the walk, I'm afraid.

13. Commadoo

Commadoo The Desert Guru Member

I fuckin LOL'd at the background colors not matching in the two different sections.

14. Tongara

Tongara Well-Known Member Exiled

This comment wins the thread.

15. STE

I couldnt help but notice this...

[​IMG]

And this:

[​IMG]

I don't know how you are buggering these things up, but it's absolutely terrible. Go back, get a dissasembly, do some good stuff, improve the palletes, dont bugger up anything and you'll be fine. Then you'd have a hack not as crap as this one...

16. beanDude

GHZ: The first screenshot shows the screen's starting position. The BG is the same as the normal GHZ BG for the remainder of the level. For Act 3 of GHZ, I have not worked on the BG's colors yet.

MZ: The BG for Act 2's underground sections is a filler for the time being. I will reach the point of designing a really nice-looking BG for segments of the Marble Zone.

SYZ: This was my first pallete edit, so give me a break. In my personal opinion, when I play through levels with the red and green difference between the upper and lower portions of the BG, it creates a cool contrast.

LZ: Damn it, I still need to finish the UW Palletes!!! The silhouettes under water are used to give the "dark room" effect, however, I'm only going to use that for the first Act. Due to visibility becoming harder with the silhouettes, I've tried to keep the first Act on the easy side.

SLZ: Act 1's pallete is changed due to the fact that Act 1 takes place after the GHZ. Act 2 was just designed today, and actually, it's my favorite for now gameplay-wise. I don't intend to change the look of Acts 2 and 3; they have such a nice look already.

SBZ: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY'D I DECIDE TO MAKE IT LOOK LIKE _______________________________ ??? << insert negative comparison here.

HEY, YOU WONDER WHY I DIDN'T WANT TO POST SCREENSHOTS!!! I focus on GAMEPLAY FIRST!!! Now you've been scarred by looks...

17. STE

The 'dark room effect' you mentioned isn't really working... If you want that, you're still going to have to add some shading of grey. Well anyway, I guess if you fix everything up with the palletes and BGs, it might have a chance. ;P

EDIT: Also, if you cant make a good hack, make a 1337 Hack! XD

18. Kain

Kain Well-Known Member Member

I stand by my eariler statement.

19. beanDude

For now, your earlier statement means nothing to me. I've already come a long way since I first started hacking, and I don't see why my final product has to suck. Although I'm largely unhappy with what I've got so far, certain levels/areas that I've created compel me to keep going.

Most of the pallete editing seen was done early on in my hacking experience. I could bet you twenty bucks on the spot that I could design a better pallete now as opposed to then.

I actually have big plans, but am currently focusing on the un-unique parts. For example, I will eventually implement a "Super Mario World" - style secret exit system, in which collecting 50 (possibly more) rings and then finding a hidden big ring somewhere in the level immediately ends the level and takes the player to a special stage. Each said special stage will have a theme: for example, a pinball table-themed special stage would have the flipper objects imported from Sonic 2, the entire stage would be stationary as opposed to spinning, and I could even get some background from Sonic Spinball. Heck, the theme from Spinball could be playing, too. Anyways, if the player fails the special stage, Sonic will return to where he entered the hidden goal in the level (and obviously would have to beat the level via. the normal goal. For each Chaos Emerald the player collects, the speed cap would be lessened by a small amount. I've been thinking that as a reward for collecting all of the Emeralds, the player could play through the game a second time with Tails following him. More unlockables would follow, such as the spindash (so simple and overused- my hack is designed to be played without the player having the spindash; playing with the spindash would make things a lot more fast, frantic, interesting, etc.) , the ability to play AS Tails.

One last unlockable that I know will be in my final release: a "Hard Mode" difficulty setting. Hard mode would include such things as the spike bug, the transformation of all "1-Up" monitors into shield monitors (or possibly a simple removal of all "1-Up" monitors), faster badniks, bosses, and obstacles. Lava would instantly kill the player. Rings would not be re-collectable upon the player getting hit. The time limit would be reduced by a few minutes. All bosses would take about twenty hits to kill. The list goes on and on: Hard Mode would be a nice little challenge to add in.

Another possibility would be the implementation of a "game currency" system: the player's finishing ring counts in each level would go towards their total ring count. Upon their first completion of the game, they'd be able to spend their rings on unlockables.

I've got more to talk about, such as a Sonic and Knuckles mode, but I don't want to go on forever.

My point is:

Damn people and their assumptions! I know my work's cut out for me if I want good stuff to happen!!! I created this thread hoping that people would be entertained by my gradual progress of a newbie, crap hack becoming something really exciting...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2009
  20. amphobius

amphobius spreader of the pink text Member

Kain is right. STE is right. Hell, even I'm right! What's up with that!?

You keep promising things you can't. And you know you can't. Those palletes are horrible and you know that. So take this into account; if more than one person is telling you that it sucks; give up. Seriously.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.