Sprite Mappings for S3&K Hyper Sonic?

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by LXG, Jul 8, 2015.

1. LXG

LXG Newcomer Trialist

I'm using SonMapEd to edit S3&K and I can't seem to find the sprite mappings for Super/Hyper Sonic. Does anyone here know where I might find them in a disassembly or how I can load them? The tiles for Hyper Sonic show up when I load the Sonic.bin tiles but when I load the mappings for Sonic.bin, the Hyper Sonic tiles are there, but I can't see the mappings for them. The disassembly I have been using is the GitHub Version: https://github.com/sonicretro/skdisasm_git/archive/master.zip

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2015
  2. M.N.K.

M.N.K. In the River of Darkness... Member

Did you try setting the game format to Sonic 3 & Knuckles? that may be the problem as to why the mappings aren't showing up.

3. LXG

LXG Newcomer Trialist

Yeah the format is Sonic 3 & Knuckles but they aren't showing up for some reason. It's only normal Sonic's mappings that show up. Like I said the tiles for Hyper Sonic show up, but not the mappings

Untitled.png

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2015
  4. Devon

Devon Down you're going... down you're going... Member

The mappings and DPLCs for Super/Hyper Sonic are included in Sonic's regular mappings and DPLCc. You'll have to split them out.

5. LXG

LXG Newcomer Trialist

How would I split them out? I'm new to this sort of thing

6. Devon

You open the files for them and cut and paste them into a new file.

7. LXG

LXG Newcomer Trialist

I've been trying to figure out how to do that but I am just being stupid and can't figure it out. How would I cut them out and paste them into a new file?

8. Devon

Highlight the text and then right click it and select "Copy" and then in the folder, right click, select "New" then select "text document" and rename it to whatever you like with the extension .asm. Open the new file and right click on it and select "Paste" and save.

9. LXG

LXG Newcomer Trialist

I'm still confused. The only part I'm confused with is where this text is located. I tried navigating through SonMapEd and it only lets me select the unmapped tiles, delete them, and duplicate them. Where is this text located?

Untitled.png

10. Devon

You don't copy and paste text in SonMapEd, you do it in Notepad or something similar.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2015
  11. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

I think the issue here is that Ralakimus is automatically assuming it's all asm format. Seeming as you can't view the text, I'm going to assume you have it in bin format. Here is what you need to do to view the mappings in text.

Open all the related files for Sonic (going by your screenshot of SonMapEd, you already have, right?). Then, go to file, save, save mappings...

Then, instead of overwriting the current mappings, we'll make a copy, so when you save it, rename it to, say, "CopyOfSonicsMappings" BUT, make sure you put ".asm" (without the quotation marks) at the end of the name. Basically, save mappings as CopyOfSonicsMappings.asm

Now, you have two mapping files. One in bin format, another in asm (the asm being your new "copy of" text file. Open your new asm file, and it will be in text format. Remember though, any changes you make in the file will not take effect in the game until you include it in your disassembly (or you can open your asm file in SonMapEd and then resave and overwrite the bin file)

Always remember to back up before editing!

12. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

The mappings in the GitHub disassembly are in ASM format, and even if they were in binary, your instructions wouldn't help because SonMapEd (or any other tool) wouldn't be able to read the mappings properly.

13. redhotsonic

I'm not too familiar with any S3K disassembly; I've only looked into it a couple of times for S2R and that was years ago.  I only assumed it was in a bin format because he couldn't view it in asm format (text).  If it's already in ASM, then yeah, dis-regard my post.

But surely SonMapED can read the mappings properly, I mean, he has a screenshot proving it does.  What difference would it make it being bin/asm format (or am I totally missing the point here?)?  I am fully aware that there are a lot of mappings that SonMapED (and other tools) can not read though.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2015
  14. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

Super Sonic's mapping table follows directly after Sonic's, so attempting to load the file in SonMapEd would result in showing all of Sonic's sprites, followed by a bunch of garbage from it reading Super Sonic's table with the wrong base address. Obviously reading Super Sonic's mappings would require chopping off Sonic's table from the start of the file.

15. redhotsonic

Isn't that what's been said in the topic already, hence why he wants it in asm (text format) so he can split them up?

16. LXG

LXG Newcomer Trialist

I have one last question that isn't really related to this topic, but when I go to edit the life icon, save what I edited, add it to my disassembly, start up the game, make a new save and start playing, it will take me back to the main menu of the game. Is there a way to fix this? This is what the life icon looks like. Sorry for asking so many questions. :-/

k.png

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2015
  17. Pokepunch

Pokepunch That guy who posts on occasion Member

Are you sure you're saving it in the right format? If i'm not mistaken S3K resets when it crashes, if the crash occurs when you start the game it suggests that the art is in the wrong format which leads to the game crashing when it tries to decompress the art.

18. LXG

LXG Newcomer Trialist

I was saving it as an uncompressed file the whole time.I saved the tile graphics under the Nemesis name and it worked!

19. LXG

LXG Newcomer Trialist

I actually ran into a little problem trying to separate the sprite mappings for Hyper Sonic again. This is all that comes up when I load up the mappings in txt form. My computer can't load .asm files by themselves. When I would take a random chunk of text and convert it to .asm, the mapping wouldn't load in SonMapEd. What do I do from here? I don't know what ANY of this is. I have NEVER done anything like this before, so I would appreciate it if someone could go into detail.

wtf.png

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2015
  20. Crash

Crash Well-Known Member Member

can you post the mappings .asm file to pastebin or something and link it here? the formatting in that screenshot looks messed up, but it's hard to tell if notepad is screwing it up because of your enormous text size or if there's some other problem.